Target Sports

Guns at places frequented by field trips?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    So we commonly go to the texas state aquarium. It's a private facility, but tons of fields trips and school activities.

Does that make it off limits for concealed Cary? School sponsored event?
    Capitol Armory ad

Bulldog7906

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2014
    San Antonio
    I have no idea... But on other hand let me know how goes! I think my wife and daughter would enjoy going.

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends." John 15:13 NKJV

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It seems pretty clear in the Penal Code...

§46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

Now, how you are technically suppose to know such an activity is occurring is up for debate. For example, I am at a local museum and carrying; then I see a bunch of kids being led around. How do I know that's a school-sponsored activity versus some other organization such as scouts or a church group?!?

I do believe the operative word is "sponsored," in that the activity going on at the grounds or building is school-sponsored; and not that there is just is a school group there.

Here's a good discussion on the topic...

Question about carrying and the event of a school sponsored event

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    However, there was a house bill proposed last year lifting the restriction which made it sound like it does apply...

NRA-ILA | Additional ProGun Measures Introduced in Texas

HB 1298 by Rep. Jonathan Stickland aims to remove restrictions on Concealed Handgun Licensees carrying in locations where a school field trip is occurring, if the CHL is not a student, teacher, administrator or chaperone on the field trip.

Read the link to HB 1298.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    It seems pretty clear in the Penal Code...

Now, how you are technically suppose to know such an activity is occurring is up for debate. For example, I am at a local museum and carrying; then I see a bunch of kids being led around. How do I know that's a school-sponsored activity versus some other organization such as scouts or a church group?!?

I do believe the operative word is "sponsored," in that the activity going on at the grounds or building is school-sponsored; and not that there is just is a school group there.

Here's a good discussion on the topic...

Question about carrying and the event of a school sponsored event

Cheers! M2

I would define sponsor quite literally, and funded in part by the school.

I did read your link, sounds like no one knows.
    But I may have to home school my kid just to write a letter to myself authorizing me to carry.

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    The Texas State Capitol is frequented by both CHLees and school field trips. Does everybody disarm when a school bus arrives? Is there a signal?

Top Bottom