Guns & Dating

GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
TGT Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
Houston/San Antonio TX
As stated before Im a little rascal (21 yrs of age). I just started dating this chick and while she is not against the 2nd, she seems reluctant to embrace it. Questions that were Iffy to her were: Guns in the House? Concealed carry? Guns in the house after having kids?

She seems oblivious to the whole subject and with all that the media has done to the recreational view of it. I seem out gunned (no pun intended).

When is the right time to bring up these topics to chicks we date?
Do you all look for chicks only that share your view on the 2nd?
How would you handle a relationship that has been great and meaningful for 6 months but now is heated due to gun ownership dispute?

thanks

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
Number one, you gotta be you. There's a whole lot of living coming your way, the last thing you want to do is spending it listening to left wing arguments you disagree with.

Second, if she's a keeper, don't argue your position. Keep safety in mind, let you know its on your mind, and that when the kids come along, it will be a priority.

Third, I think the gun thing isn't something I'd bring up on a first date. I'd try to drop subtle hints like, a friend wants me to go fishing with him, then ease it into hunting, etc. Sneaky but oh well.

Last, remember one thing ... You will never get what you deserve, you will get what you negotiate.

ebk06

Mar 15, 2009
Austin
Kind of a tough one. It depends on the girl I think. I told my g/f one day that I was going to buy a gun and she said "cool, just teach me to shoot it". But she was raised in a house that literally had a rifle or shotgun in every room. Sounds to me like you need to educate your girl a bit without being too forceful. Maybe ease her in to handling a gun and the proper way to load/unload, clean, make sure its safe then try and get her to the range. I seem to think a lot of people (not just girls) arent familiar with guns so they are reluctant be around them. Just like when you first drove, it takes education and getting used to if you didnt grow up drive 4 wheelers and atvs. dont get in arguements about it because you'll have plenty of those without guns being the issue lol. But be clear you will not give up your firearms because of ignorance. Maybe bribe her with tickets for a girls concert or something, if she will give the shooting range a chance and learn more about firearms in general.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
May 29, 2017
Austin, TX
I would be tempted to take her to a gun range. I've seen people that were literally shaking from fear, come out and laugh that they built it up so much. It's one of those fears that some people just have. Guns aren't just built up by the media, but they are violent and aggressive. People have rational fears for guns, and until they experience the scope of their ability and replace fear with knowledge will they get better.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
May 29, 2017
Austin, TX
Maybe bribe her with tickets for a girls concert or something, if she will give the shooting range a chance and learn more about firearms in general.
I was going to say that as well... try bringing it up as, let's choose a date that involves something you love. That way it seems like you are willing to choke down a 3 hour Jewel concert so that she'll put up with learning guns.

GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
TGT Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
Houston/San Antonio TX
Third, I think the gun thing isn't something I'd bring up on a first date. I'd try to drop subtle hints like, a friend wants me to go fishing with him, then ease it into hunting, etc. Sneaky but oh well.

Last, remember one thing ... You will never get what you deserve, you will get what you negotiate.
The topic was brought up in my politics class so she still probably has no idea that I am a 2nd advocate and owner. I was thinking the same thing as far as the wait period. The only con i see to waiting a lengthy period is if she is stubborn. Think about it. I invest time and money dating a nice chick. I invest emotion and trust but if she is rock solid on her stance when i bring it up down range, I will have wasted alot of my time and effort. But yes cortez i will definitely wait and play the words to see what she is about on the topic.

ggzzzzz theres a waiting period for eveything in the gun world isnt their...

ebk06

Mar 15, 2009
Austin
whoa...3 hours of jewel....lets be rational here. Im not asking to shoot an apple off her head so I dont know about attending such an event.
You have much to learn young grasshoppper. I'd prefer Jewel over an opera. My g/f is still waiting on me to take her to one of those.....next year i keep saying. Seriously though start by bringing it up in passing or when you see something gun related on TV or in a movie. If shes not at least willing to listen to your reasoning then shes probably not "the one".

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
I would be tempted to take her to a gun range. I've seen people that were literally shaking from fear, come out and laugh that they built it up so much. It's one of those fears that some people just have. Guns aren't just built up by the media, but they are violent and aggressive. People have rational fears for guns, and until they experience the scope of their ability and replace fear with knowledge will they get better.
I agree. Just take her shooting. My wife had zero gun experience before she met me. She was kind of scared to shoot the .22 we took out into the woods to shoot, but wound up loving it.

Either way, if you're going to date a girl, it's all about finding out if you're compatible: if she goes shooting and decides that she hates guns, you're not.

A couple of tips for taking her shooting. Don't build it up like a big thing, but do have a quick safety rundown before she shoots. I wouldn't bother teaching her how to load or clear the gun, just teach her basic safety and operation, how the sights work and where the trigger is. Stand back and let her go to it.

Don't be overbearing or hover over her shoulder correcting her every five seconds. They hate that.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member