• ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I think mine was an H&R also.

I remember the night we got it... we were coming home from Academy circa 1983.
    Our neighborhood was in the back of the rich neighborhood & you had to pass through the Golf course & over a bayou bridge to our neighborhood. My dad pulls the Elcamino over next to the golf course before bridge & pulls the .410 out of the back seat & says ... watch this. He fired that thing & it was about 9pm ... boy did that thing echo into the night... my eyes got big & wide, i was thinking... ummm i have to shoot that? Of course, shot it first time in the day time & it didn't sound quite the same as the first night
    Capitol Armory ad

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    First guns
    Daisy, I shared a pump with older brother
    Daisy pistol, I had a spring air-thanks Mom and a CO2 I bought
    Single shot .22, I had a Cooey-thanks Dad
    Bolt action .410, borrowed from Uncle Red

Teenager
    Borrowed Dad's Remington Rangemaster and 12 ga. SxS Sauer
    Went halfs with Dad for an Anshutz .22 prone match-thanks Dad

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Thought of something just now. When I was really young my dad took me hunting at my grandparents farm. My grandpa had a Remington Model 24 pump 22. It was my first gun to shoot. I loved shooting that gun so much, about 5 years ago I bought one just like it. Made in 1928.

I was one of about 30 grandkids, so I was never gonna get that one. But I could not be any happier with the one I bought. Several on here gave good advice on getting that relic up and running. I regularly shoot CCI quiet through it. I suppose due to the age of that spring inside, it cycles them perfectly.

Found the thread. Model 24.

Need help with a Rem Model 24

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...-help-with-a-Rem-Model-24.75290/&share_type=t

Last edited:

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    first gun c1947.jpg

I stand corrected. Apparently my 1st gun was a lever action.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Started off with pellet guns the a marlin 60. Winchester 243, 12 gauge and 20 gauge around 10 yrs old.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    My FIRST gun of my own was a circa 1910 River City Arms 12 gauge "Long-Tom" (made by Crescent Hardware Co.) that my beloved grandfather gave me so "I could go hunting with the men."
    (I felt VERY GROWN-UP & at least 10 feet tall that day.)

Note: I couldn't wait to show it to mother, when we got home. Her response was, "Daddy, whatever possessed you to give a shotgun to that child?"
    Then she stomped off into her bedroom, slamming the door behind her. = My grandfather, with more than a touch of amusement said, "I thought that she took that rather well."
    (My grandfather was the accepted/respected PATRIARCH of the family, so I got to keep the shotgun.)

YES, it is a CHEAP old single-barrel but money wouldn't buy it, though I probably couldn't sell it for 20.oo cash. = It's PRICELESS.
    (I'd guess that you could say that it was the TX hillbilly version of a Bar Mitzva.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    First Gun:
    Winchester single shot break open 410 at 8yrs limited use
    second Gun:
    Sheridan Pellet Pump 20cal at 9yrs unlimited use while we lived in the country while building a new home in town....wow the freedom!
    This was in the early 50's and still shoot both plus many others!
    Life was good for us old folks!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    First gun was a Jennings Jr 22 rifle. Got it at the gun show in Nacogdoches when I was 6. Shot it quite a bit in the back yard. 22 cb rounds made the neighbors think I was shooting a pellet gun.

Then for my 10th birthday my dad gave me his Chinese SKS.

12th birthday I got a Ruger Mark II.

Taught my oldest to shoot with the Jennings jr and now he shoots the Mark II. He's 5 and absolutely loves it. The 2 year old wants to go shooting so bad...not quite old enough yet. I'm a firm believer in starting them off at a young age and teaching them how and when to safely handle a firearm.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My dad has a lever action 22 that I shot when I was a teen. Don't think I shot before that.

Once I really became interested as an adult I jumped in with both feet.

My kids all started shooting at young ages. Single shot Savage rifle was probably their first time but can't be certain.

cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    First gun I ever shot was a little Colt .25 auto. A guy that was dating my mom carried it in his pants pocket, and he took me down other river bank one night and let me fire off a few rounds at a circle drawn in the mud with a stick. That was at age 12.

Later I got a little .22 Italian made repro of a Sharps derringer from the neighborhood gun guy. Never fired a rifle until I enlisted in the army after high school. Fired the M16 but I loved the 1911A1 when I got to shoot one in Boot camp. Still have a soft spot for the 1911.

The only gun culture I knew of growing up in D.C.was the street guns people had for self defense, and dumped in the river if they had to use it. Never had a dad so there's no fond memories of hand-me-downs from anyone. First rifle I ever had I bought after I got out of the army, a Marlin 39. Still have it and shoot it regularly. Love a nice .22 rifle and some soda cans.

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    I had my grandson shooting a Ruger 10/22 at the age of 7 and a Beretta Neo (.22lr) at the age of 8.

I had shot pellet and B.B. guns early, but the first real rifle I shot was a Win Model 94 30-30 around 10 or 11 years old. I also shot a Browning A5 12 ga. about that time.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    My first gun was a Daisy Model 25. 50 round tube magazine. I could barely cock the thing. Eventually I grew into it tho. Shot the crap out of it for several years, even after the nylon stock warped when I left it on the rear deck of our 1950 Dodge Wayfarer. That would have far reaching consequences as that was reason my Dad wouldn't buy me a Nylon 66 that I wanted so bad. "The stock will warp". Ha, he never bought me any other firearm either.

When the Model 25 finally gave out, Dad wouldn't get me another one, but he did buy me a used Benjamin .22 caliber pump pellet gun. That didn't last long. It started to split, right below the barrel where the pump housing is. Barrel warped a bit. Begged for a new one. Nope!. He repaired it with a steel sleeve and a bunch of solder. Looked weird, but it worked.

We didn't have many firearms in the house as I was growing up. Grandpa had all the good stuff. Dad had a Remington 512 and the 8mm Mauser he brought back from the war. He never shot that Mauser. Not once. I think he let me shoot the 512 once, under his supervision.

So my first firearm was a .22 LR single shot German youth rifle that Dad shot when he was a kid. It was one of the rifles hanging on Grandpa's wall. I was allowed to walk around the 127 acre farm and shoot any rabbits, skunks, or armadillos I might see, but I wanted to own that gun. Dad said it wasn't his to give, go ask your Grandpa. Well, Gramps wouldn't give it to me, but he would sell it to me for what he had in it. So for the princely sum of 50¢, I was the proud owner of my first real gun. That was a lot of money to an unemployed 4th grader.

I still have that rifle that I bought in 1958. The first, last, and only firearm I had growing up. I refinished the stock in 1981. I guess it's pretty near 100 years old now. Still shoots, still accurate, but it has a hair trigger.

34884040194_308621d58c_k.jpg
    IMG_5613

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Well, if we're including air rifles and such, then the first gun I shot was this bolt action, magazine fed Haenel 310:

w9MzTw7.jpg

crzy_one

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Austin
    got my first rifle for Christmas when I was 7...some old Winchester .22lr tube fed rifle. Shot that for years but then I wanted a pistol so my dad traded it/+ cash for a S&W Sigma in .40...recoil was a bit much for me and the trigger was awful! Traded that for an Armscor M1600 .22lr...put about 20k rds though that rifle and still have it.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Never fired a handgun til I was ~19 & in college. Friend bought a nasty little mail-order .22 revolver. It was horribly inaccurate but lots of fun.

Top Bottom