• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Fun thread for guns we have learned on when we were kids or using to teach our kids/other family members.

My son is 3, so he’s got a while, but being a father makes me buy guns just to put away. When he’s mentally mature enough I have a ruger sr22 pistol, a 10/22 and a American 22 mag rifle ready for him to learn on. Also a cva 20 gauge when the time is right. What’s also cool is before my son was born, my wife never really took much thought into guns or training. Now that she’s a mother I know her eyes have been opened. She will be getting my xds in 9mm. She’s pretty good with most handguns. Family and guns is a fun combo. Lots of fun times ahead.
    Gun Zone Deals

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I learned on a break action single shot 410 shotgun and a Ruger Single Six .22.

Actually, before those, I learned with BB and pellet guns, both long and short.
    I think my first BB rifle was similar to this:
    https://www.daisy.com/product/Red-Ryder-Model-1938/?itemnumber=991938-011

And my first pellet pistol was a Marksman .177 like this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-VINT...AIR-PISTOL-MORTON-HARRIS-L-A-CA-/132303878817 and this
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/9592335...rts-Air-Pistol-177-Cal-BB-s-Pellets-Darts.htm

Just remembered that I was always the kid that spent his paper route $ at the traveling carnival that had shooting galleries when they came to town.

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    when I grew up or thought I was at 10 Years old. I demanded my dad let me shoot his SXS 10Ga.

I learned not to demand things after one shot.

By today's standards both my parents should be felons and I would have been in foster care.

I guess They must have done something correct I have never been in jail lol

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    First gun I shot as a kid looked just like this:

0QEyRdy.jpg

Select fire .22lr, in case you wondered.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Good excuse to buy more guns. My older daughter is starting to show an interest so I think I'm going to start her on an airsoft rifle to get her used to the mechanics of shooting in a non-intimidating environment. I thought about taking her to the Oct meet but I don't think she's quite ready.

She also is showing an interest in wanting to learn archery but unfortunately I can't help her with that so I need to find a place to take her.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    I learned on a break action single shot 410 shotgun and a Ruger Single Six .22.

Actually, before those, I learned with BB and pellet guns, both long and short.
    I think my first BB rifle was similar to this:
    https://www.daisy.com/product/Red-Ryder-Model-1938/?itemnumber=991938-011

And my first pellet pistol was a Marksman .177 like this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-VINT...AIR-PISTOL-MORTON-HARRIS-L-A-CA-/132303878817 and this
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/9592335...rts-Air-Pistol-177-Cal-BB-s-Pellets-Darts.htm

Just remembered that I was always the kid that spent his paper route $ at the traveling carnival that had shooting galleries when they came to town.

OMG....The Marksman. 177 pistols , we used to have contests. ..one throwing .177 cal pellets, the other using the pistol to see who could do more damage. The darts were cool, though .

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My first was a Marlin Model 81 22. Crazy accurate gun. I still have it.

My dad bought me a 20 gauge bolt action shotgun. Back in about 1985 I traded it in on a R.E.M. 700 BDL 30-06, which is still my main deer rifle.

My kids all learned pistol on a S&W 422. Most learned to shoot a scoped rifle on a Savage 93 in 17 HMR. I love to shoot that gun. My youngest shot a 5 shot group that you could cover with a dime. I have yet to replicate that.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I started off with a Daisy 188 when i was 6... my dad used to let me put my BB trap in the masonry fireplace & let me shoot the bb gun from the couch & into the fireplace... i just remembered that.. man was he cool.
    Daisey 188.jpg

Then a Crossman 454 when i turned 7... no fireplace shooting with faster FPS... outside only
    crossman 454.jpg

Then a Harrington & Richardson .410 for Christmas when i was 8
    H N R 410.jpg

Then for my 9th Bday i got a Marlin Model 60
    marlin 60.jpg

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Great guns guys. I didn’t share my first guns I shot. No pics sorry.

First shotgun was my dads bolt action mossberg 20 gauge. First rimfire was a 10/22. First centerfire was an arisaka my grandpa captured in the pacific and reconfigured to 30-06.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Bought my son a Chipmunk in 1998 to learn on, he has it to pass to his kids some day. I have 2 Ithaca model 49 rifles to pass on to my daughter's children, and will probably buy my grand daughters a pink cricket to shoot at some point.

Top Bottom