• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Looks like Senator Coburn in OK was able to attach some legislation to a credit card bill that might be beneficial to carrying in National Parks,,,,guess we'll wait anx see if it stays in or not

[url]http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5itp2xFPxgQ4TTpiTFLZQrJpRTAXQD9850J380[/URL]

Senate backs allowing guns in national parks
    By MATTHEW DALY – 22 hours ago
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate on Tuesday backed an amendment that would allow people to carry loaded guns in national parks and wildlife refuges.
    Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., sponsored the measure, which he said would protect the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. The amendment allows firearms in parks and wildlife refuges, as long as they are allowed by federal, state and local law.
    "If an American citizen has a right to carry a firearm in their state, it makes no sense to treat them like a criminal if they pass through a national park while in possession of a firearm," Coburn said.
    Twenty-seven Democrats joined 39 Republicans and one independent in supporting the amendment, which was attached to a bill imposing restrictions on credit card companies. The amendment was approved 67-29.
    Groups supporting gun control, park rangers and retirees opposed the amendment, which they said went further than a Bush administration policy that briefly allowed loaded handguns in national parks and refuges.
    A federal judge blocked the policy in March, two months after it went into effect in the waning days of President George W. Bush's term. The Obama administration has said it will not appeal the court ruling.
    "This amendment is much more radical than the regulation promulgated by the Bush administration," said Bryan Faehner, associate director of the National Parks Conservation Association, an advocacy group that opposes guns in parks.
    If the measure becomes law "it would not only put park visitors and wildlife at risk, it would change the character and the peaceful and safe atmosphere in our parks," Faehner said.
    Faehner's group sent a letter to senators Tuesday stating that Coburn's amendment would allow individuals to openly carry rifles, shotguns, and semiautomatic weapons in national parks. "As a result, individuals could attend ranger-led hikes and campfire programs with their rifles at Yellowstone National Park and other national park treasures across the country," the letter said.
    Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, called the Senate vote reckless.
    U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly blocked the Bush rule because she found that the Interior Department had not done the proper analysis, Helmke said, "and now the Senate is basically rushing into this with little or no debate, and no analysis on what impact it will have on the people who use the parks and the wildlife in the parks. I think that's reckless."
    Sen. Christopher Dodd, chairman of the Banking Committee, said he hoped the credit card legislation would pass this week. Helmke and Faehner said they would try to get the gun amendment stripped from the bill before final passage.
    Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    Target Sports

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Good, the senate has backed allowing guns in nat'l parks. They have backed an amendment that is attached to a bill that is a step towards allowing guns in nat'l parks is the jist, bill still has to pass with the amendment in it....

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    That's what I'm thinking. I mean I'm all for being allowed to carry as we're hiking through a forest, but being able to carry long arms in the woods? I mean a little excessive don't you think? And then you have the thin line to look into that now you have people in the forest with firearms and poaching. It will probably undergo serious revisions.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I know that the Texas senate wants to pass a law allowing you to carry a concealed handgun (CH) into state parks. I would think that is most likely the case hear. I personally think it should be limited to a CH and not allow any long arms without a special hunting permit or something to that effect. Open carry would be worth looking into in a park to but what I'm saying is that it should be limited to handguns.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    I think it comes down to the author throwing a lot of stuff (read long guns) in there so he has things he can pull out to appease others when wheeling and dealing, that way he has a better chance of getting the base amendment through....sorta like when you list a car for 2k knowing you are going to bargain down to 1500 which is what you really want....

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think it comes down to the author throwing a lot of stuff (read long guns) in there so he has things he can pull out to appease others when wheeling and dealing, that way he has a better chance of getting the base amendment through....sorta like when you list a car for 2k knowing you are going to bargain down to 1500 which is what you really want....
    That is what I was thinking, but you never know about politicians.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom