• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    NE Texas
    Texas is following suit with Montana and Utah on the states rights bill to make any gun made in that state and labled as such is exempt from Federal Regs....Do these states already have gun makers in their states or are they hoping to attract makers or start up new makers of guns..."Joe the Gunsmith"?
    Military Camp

TexasT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    NE Texas
    There are reciprocating laws in the USA such as my Texas DL is accepted by all other states, as do some states with CHL's. if the gun is stamped 'Made in Texas" can it be taken into Montana under the same regs? Do we need one gun to carry under federal regs in other states that accept our CHL and another made in Texas for Texas CHL free from federal regs.

I realize Most people dont see things as analytical as I do thats just my nature, I really am for this legislation, but the people in charge of making laws cant always see past their noses...leaving loopholes.

progress.gif

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    There are reciprocating laws in the USA such as my Texas DL is accepted by all other states, as do some states with CHL's. if the gun is stamped 'Made in Texas" can it be taken into Montana under the same regs? Do we need one gun to carry under federal regs in other states that accept our CHL and another made in Texas for Texas CHL free from federal regs.

I realize Most people dont see things as analytical as I do thats just my nature, I really am for this legislation, but the people in charge of making laws cant always see past their noses...leaving loopholes.

progress.gif

Just my opinion, but one reason the feds can pass gun laws is because of interstate commerce. That is something the Constitution does give them some control over. Things made and sold intrastate should not fall under fed regs. So yes you would be able to take you STI or whatever to Montana. Slaves were taken north by their owners and back regardless of the local laws because they were personal property. Up to the War of Northern Aggression any way.

I think states should enforce the 10th Amendment more often and on more things.

The rub might be, can a gun maker survive in just selling intrastate?

TexasT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    NE Texas
    Just my opinion, but one reason the feds can pass gun laws is because of interstate commerce. That is something the Constitution does give them some control over. Things made and sold intrastate should not fall under fed regs. So yes you would be able to take you STI or whatever to Montana. Slaves were taken north by their owners and back regardless of the local laws because they were personal property. Up to the War of Northern Aggression any way.

I think states should enforce the 10th Amendment more often and on more things.

The rub might be, can a gun maker survive in just selling intrastate?

Anyone making quality guns even just intrastate may not make as much as others selling interstate but just think if every Texan Bought just one
    thats a lot of guns and without federal overhead expenses.

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Nobody said they had to sell in Texas, only. The ones sold in Texas would be exempt, the ones sold out of state would not be.

TexasT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    NE Texas
    Nobody said they had to sell in Texas, only. The ones sold in Texas would be exempt, the ones sold out of state would not be.
    Kind of like separating the wheat from the tares... a logistical nightmare. better to keep entities separate in mfg.ing possibly....however though they would be labled "Made in Texas". to be sold outside the state it would have to meet fed. regs. or be construed as a prohibited weapon out of Texas. i.e. if federal govt says 10 round capacity limit and double action only texas says 15 rounds and anything goes.
    Im not debunking your comment you do have a valid point... just thinking outside of the box so to speak.

frijolero817

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    This would be good if it passed, then I could justify to my wife why I need to spend a couple thousand on a LaRue rifle. You know, to support Texas' gun manufacturers.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I'm sure there must be more, but the 2 Texas gun makers that come to mind are Briley and STI. If this comes to pass, I'm sure Briley will expand their operations and manufacture all their parts in Houston. Claudio is a master machinist and could easily make it happen.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Chip McCormick
    Briley
    HiStandard
    STI
    LaRue

Off the top of my head, these are all major Texas manufacturers of parts, guns, etc. We have alot of mom & pops on top of the custom bolt rifle guys that also build some cool things.

Honestly the parts don't even need to be made in Texas... the firearm is not built until it is completed. Ergo the entire SBR thing, you can be arrested for intent to assemble with just the parts, but the gun doesn't become an SBR until you assemble it. So you can use parts from all over the country, and still have a Texas manufactured firearm.

TexasT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    NE Texas
    Chip McCormick
    Briley
    HiStandard
    STI
    LaRue

Off the top of my head, these are all major Texas manufacturers of parts, guns, etc. We have alot of mom & pops on top of the custom bolt rifle guys that also build some cool things.

Honestly the parts don't even need to be made in Texas... the firearm is not built until it is completed. Ergo the entire SBR thing, you can be arrested for intent to assemble with just the parts, but the gun doesn't become an SBR until you assemble it. So you can use parts from all over the country, and still have a Texas manufactured firearm.

Just playing devils advocate.....Made in Texas-/-Assembled in Texas ? Same thing? USA parts assembled in china....

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    There aren't to many 100% made in the USA gun's. STI's higher end guns are, but the low end guns are mostly imports.

Although not in Texas, Kimber is 100% made in the USA which says a lot for one of, if not the largest production 1911 manufacture (and rifles). Wonder how many of the smaller manufactures are?

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Maybe it's just me, but you can have all the parts necessary. Until you put them together it ain't a car or truck or gun. If you put the parts together in Texas, then it (the gun) is made in Texas.

TexasT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    NE Texas
    Maybe it's just me, but you can have all the parts necessary. Until you put them together it ain't a car or truck or gun. If you put the parts together in Texas, then it (the gun) is made in Texas.

Shades of gray....and Buicks are made in China:banghead:

shilohshooters

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    north houston
    There aren't to many 100% made in the USA gun's. STI's higher end guns are, but the low end guns are mostly imports.

Although not in Texas, Kimber is 100% made in the USA which says a lot for one of, if not the largest production 1911 manufacture (and rifles). Wonder how many of the smaller manufactures are?

Actually Tex, with the exception of the GP6 and the Spartan, ALL of STI's guns are proudly made in the USA. That's 30+ Pure Texas firearms, and just 2 imports. Isn't Kimber considered an import? I mean, it is from New York... :patriot:

Top Bottom