Join TexasGunTalk

Guns recorded ?

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by sandyjr, Feb 16, 2020.

1. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The initial answer still stands....the shop that sold it keeps those records for as long as they're in business. If they close, the records are sent to the ATF. Been that way since the GCA of 1968.

oldag and BRD@66 like this.
  2. no2gates

no2gates Well-Known

Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Where are all the records kept of all the guns that fell out of the boat into the bottom of the lake from all the members here???

3. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    On the hard drive of my computer that caught fire yesterday!

4. candcallen

candcallen Purveyor of Snark Humor and Truth.

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    They would have to have a reason to initiate a trace. If the FFL holder is still in business they would go from manufacturer to distributor to the FFL and he would search records and then they would come to you.

You're talking a long time ago and who knows if they could fined the records if the FFL holder sent them to the ATF.

I know of a couple Kmarts who had all their records tossed in the trash because they were stored in a store room that got cleaned out.

Still I would bet they eventually get to you with info off the 4473 if they found the record.

You can thank LBJ for pushing to stop the insanity after the assassinations in the late 60s for GCA of 68. It accomplished nothing but the ability to trace guns to law abiding citizens. But hay. What the hell well get there eventually. You will be spitting in a cup when you buy a gun in 20 years I bet.

For his part in starting this shit What I'll do on his grave wont be confused for dancing in the rain.

5. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Insurance company records!

no2gates likes this.
  6. candcallen

candcallen Purveyor of Snark Humor and Truth.

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Every city in the country must have a lake with an an iron bottom sound by now.

308nato and Charlie like this.
  7. motorcarman

motorcarman Compulsive Collector

Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
  8. jkingrph

jkingrph Member

I have often wondered about the handgun I purchased just before I graduated college back in 1968 at a Kmart. The purchase was registered in a spiral bound composition book, already getting worn and rather ratty at the time.

9. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The State of Texas has no records on this at all. Ever.

10. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    No they should not have a copy. They may have a copy. In 1976, ATF only required FFLs to keep 4473 for 5 years, and it was common for FFLs to destroy them as soon as the legally could.