• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Correct. The .410 is actually a 36 ga. (look it up)
    Don't ask me why... I don't know.

Because (apparently) it takes 36 .410 diameter balls of lead to equal one pound. 12 gauge = 12 bore-sized lead balls to a pound. Comes in handy when you think about it from an 18th century perspective.
    Lynx Defense

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Aw, what's wrong with Glock you guys? Well I would never buy a Smith and Wesson after they got themselves and their dealers in bed with the Anti-gun Clinton crowd. I don't care what they come up with, I ain't buying it.

S&W did not "get in bed with the Anti-gun Clinton crowd".

The former parent company Tompkins (Murray lawn mowers and bicycles) started negotiations with the Brady Bunch, got too much flack and sold S&W to Safe-T- Hammer. Donk't blame Smith for the British BS of their former owners.

S&W is one of the only company that TRULY stands behind their products. When they make a mistake, they fix it, Period.

Don't forget about Gaston's membership in a boys club called the HitlerJugund. I will not give him a dime of my money.

Beretta's broken slide SNAFU that adamantly blamed on Delta/Seals using improper ammo, yet they modified the gun adding the "S" suffix to the model #, but refusing to retrofit earlier models.

Sig undercutting their licensed LE suppliers and selling P-220's directly to TX DPS for $5 under dealer cost.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Because (apparently) it takes 36 .410 diameter balls of lead to equal one pound. 12 gauge = 12 bore-sized lead balls to a pound. Comes in handy when you think about it from an 18th century perspective.

I did the math on this one.

Density of lead is 11.35 grams/cm^3
    volume of sphere is 4/3*pie*r^3
    radius of a .410 caliber is 0.521 cm

The volume of a .410 sphere is 0.591cm^3

mass is 6.71 grams

453.6 gram/ lbs

67.6 .410" spheres in one pound

Either the density of lead in bullets is much more massive, or the lead balls aren't exactly spheres. The converstion from mass (grams) to weight (lbs.) isn't exact, but it shouldn't vary that much from standards. But I think the gauge of a .410 is closer to 67 or 68. Or my math is completely wrong.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I did the math on this one.

Density of lead is 11.35 grams/cm^3
    volume of sphere is 4/3*pie*r^3
    radius of a .410 caliber is 0.521 cm

The volume of a .410 sphere is 0.591cm^3

mass is 6.71 grams

453.6 gram/ lbs

67.6 .410" spheres in one pound

Either the density of lead in bullets is much more massive, or the lead balls aren't exactly spheres. The converstion from mass (grams) to weight (lbs.) isn't exact, but it shouldn't vary that much from standards. But I think the gauge of a .410 is closer to 67 or 68. Or my math is completely wrong.

:banghead: Crap.............I read that 3-times and then couldn't remember what the original question or point was. It's hell to be old!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    :banghead: Crap.............I read that 3-times and then couldn't remember what the original question or point was. It's hell to be old!

I was just saying that a .410 was actually a 67.6 gauge shotgun, rather than a 36.

I looked it up, and they used to sell .410 ammo as "36 gauge," but this is another place where the name of the cartridge doesn't match up with the actual dimensions.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    I would never buy:

Keltec (blew up in my hand)
    Kahr (trigger reset time not fast enough)
    Tarus Judge (Gimmick & 410 buckshot from short barrel is dangerous and ineffective)
    22 rifles under $200 (the expensive ones are that good)

Top Bottom