Join TexasGunTalk

Gunsmith/armorer for scope mounting

Discussion in 'San Antonio' started by bodhi, Aug 7, 2019.

1. bodhi

bodhi Active Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Any suggestions on a gunsmith located in San Antonio to mount a scope?

I've always done my own scope mounting but I plan to be shooting at longer distances with this rifle and want to make sure it's done properly and without any cant.

Thanks in advance!

HKShooter65 likes this.
  2. unicom

unicom Active Member

May 19, 2016
    I go to armed in America for gun work. There is a shop off of 281 between thousands oaks and brook hollow behind the McDonald’s. Can’t remember the name. But I would trust that place. Just not sure what they would charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

studenygreg likes this.
  3. Mikewood

Mikewood Well-Known

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Yea, try finding a gunsmith that knows how to do that. Most wont fit you for eye relief much less screw the scope down square.

Your best bet is to use a bench vice and a torpedo level and do it yourself.

Then confirm the turrets track true and linearly. Many don’t.

4. bodhi

bodhi Active Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Yeah, I may just do it myself so I can set eye relief. Probably less expensive to just buy two levels anyway.

The scope is quality and tracks linearly. I'm just moving it to a solid mount from a QD mount.

Thanks for the input.

5. bodhi

bodhi Active Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Thanks for the input. I decided I'm just going to buy some levels and do it myself.

6. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It is impossible to properly mount a scope for you if you are not there.

Use a bubble level to avoid cant. I put one on the gun to make sure the gun is true to the ground, then one on the scope. Wheeler makes them if you cannot use the standard Lowes/HD ones.

Southpaw likes this.
  7. unicom

unicom Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Nothing wrong with that. I just need a good vise and more importantly a work bench/table to mount the vise to so I just set it up and then get they guys at armed in America to tighten the rings and keep it level. It’s hard to do it on the kitchen table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 Well-Known

FireInTheWire likes this.
  9. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 Well-Known

BTW
    Having the ability to tweak eye relief at the shooting bench is a critical part of scope mounting, as it's such a personal thing that no gunsmith can accomplish in a shop.

10. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 Well-Known

Another BTW.....

We worry about getting our scope mounted level and then fail to hold the rifle with the crosshairs level.

Buying a bubble level was embarrassingly revealing when I realized how much I cant the firearm randomly clockwise then counter clockwise.

FireInTheWire likes this.