• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AARguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    I recently completed the Penn-Foster Gunsmithing Course and I'm looking to build a work area with the basic equipment I'll need to do common gunsmithing tasks. Penn-Foster didn't help with this type of inventory. Does anyone know of a source which might help?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'd definitely start out with some of the very basic of quality hand tools from a reputable manufacturer.

Then I'd have to decide on what type of gunsmithing I'd be doing and choosing tools that were needed for that type of gunsmithing.

rpwilson

Single Action Army Activist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Richmond
    Get a sales tax license and sign up with Brownells; you'll get a discount. You'll have to file sales tax returns (online) and you should pay sales tax on anything you buy for yourself.
    I believe Brownells and most other firearm suppliers wont give you a discount unless you provide them your FFL (typically Class 1). Per the ATF, you are required to have an FFL to practice gunsmithing for profit, but this allows you to get better pricing for your customers and opens more business opportunities anyway

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    I believe Brownells and most other firearm suppliers wont give you a discount unless you provide them your FFL (typically Class 1). Per the ATF, you are required to have an FFL to practice gunsmithing for profit, but this allows you to get better pricing for your customers and opens more business opportunities anyway
    I don't have an FFL, and I get a discount at Brownells.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I recently completed the Penn-Foster Gunsmithing Course and I'm looking to build a work area with the basic equipment I'll need to do common gunsmithing tasks. Penn-Foster didn't help with this type of inventory. Does anyone know of a source which might help?
    Hey AA,

Welcome to TGT.

Hard to go wrong with Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks #4!

Several very good gunsmith's idears!

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    A good set of hollow ground screwdrivers/bits will be the most used items....do not scrimp on these. The correct fitting screwdriver/bits are a sign of quality work. Screws that have been turned with the wrong type are ugly and the customer will be pissed if you booger up their screws.

Brownell's and Midway are good sources. I also have bits specifically made for Colt, S&W and Ruger screws...(yes they even have specific manufacturer sets).

A good set of taps and dies....although the most common gun sizes are not included in most commercial sets. Brownell's and Midway will have the proper sizes.

A quality drill press that has very little run out. Drill bits of high quality are expensive but necessary. I have a set of screw machine drill bits that cost $700.00......worth every penny....

A quality vise(s).........the difference between quality vices and cheap Chinese vises are vast..........cheap ones will work, but good ones are a pleasure to use........

Non marring (soft jaw) pliers............

Quality files of various sizes and styles........a good dovetail file alone can run $60+

Punches....lot's of punches......various sizes and lengths in steel, brass and polymer......

A quality sight tool......beating them with a hammer and punch can damage the sights and the gun........I use a B&J Machine P500 Pro sight tool several times a week and if you ever need parts, B&J will assist........it will install/remove 99% of pistol sights......

These are the most often used tools I use....

Disclaimer: I am not a gunsmith.....I am a retired nurse who works on guns............

Last edited:

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    STONES!

One can never ever have enough STONES!

Shapes, sizes, HARDNESS!

LIGHTS! No such thang as too much! More is good! LOTS MORE is More Gooderer! LOL

Outlets/plugs...LOTS of them is way better!

If you decide to polish stuff.... keep you polishing/grinding/welding stuff AWAY from the CLEAN WORK area....

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    So, you have me scartching my head in wonder. You took a gunsmith course and now are asking what tools you need for the basics! I am left wondering did they not have you doing practical exercises with all the tools you would need? If that is the case - thwat they did not supply you with the tools or have you buy the tools somewhere to get through the course - the course was not worth what you spent on it timewise or in payment. I mean, I cannot imagine how you could go through a practical class of any sort without the proper tools for it and I can see no way to go through a gunsmith class without lots of practical exercises.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    So, you have me scartching my head in wonder. You took a gunsmith course and now are asking what tools you need for the basics! I am left wondering did they not have you doing practical exercises with all the tools you would need? If that is the case - thwat they did not supply you with the tools or have you buy the tools somewhere to get through the course - the course was not worth what you spent on it timewise or in payment. I mean, I cannot imagine how you could go through a practical class of any sort without the proper tools for it and I can see no way to go through a gunsmith class without lots of practical exercises.
    Penn - Foster is an online gunsmith course, this is from their website.

Curriculum​

Become a gunsmith with online training​

In our Gunsmith Diploma Program, you'll learn essential skills and knowledge to become a gunsmith, including gun safety. The gunsmithing program includes over 50 short how-to and instructional videos to supplement your reading materials, covering topics from disassembling and assembling a firearm to stock finishing and engraving.

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    A pet peeve of mine is folks calling themselves a "Gunsmith" who aren't.......

There are a hell of lot folks working on guns (me included) who are not real "Gunsmiths"....

Trying to figure out who really is............ and isn't........ can be an expensive endeavor.........

When customers referred to me as the "Gunsmith", I quickly explained, I was not....was never comfortable with it....

A lot of folks think anyone who works on guns deserves the title...........not all do.......

jmho....

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Lots of good suggestions.

I’d also recommend some inserts for the vice that will not mar any surfaces. I have some that are magnetic and made of nylon. They can hold all types of parts without damaging them in the vise.

Also, if you plan on working on ARs, I’d recommend a reaction rod. I own one from Midwest Industries and it’s great for installing flash hiders, breaks, comps, etc. Keep in mind you will need one for AR15s and one for AR10s.

I may have missed it but I didn’t see anyone mention a bench block. Not required but they’re nice to have when punching pins in or out.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    LOL.....yes, stones......outlets? I have 14 wall outlets just at the bench............

LED lights for the shop...don't bother with anything else...........
    Have to give the same recommendation on the LED lights. World of difference in light output. Plus they have gotten so much cheaper. Been replacing the bulbs in my garage to LED's.

Top Bottom