• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Born Here

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2022
    The Woods
    Glad to have found the forum here. Being that this is a Texas based forum, hopefully I can get this question answered.

I've always bought guns thru face to face purchases because I'm not a fan on being in big bruthaz database

So, my question is this - if I were to take a gun to a gunsmith to have a little work done on it, would I have to fill out the FFL paperwork in order to get it back?
    Gun Zone Deals

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Glad to have found the forum here. Being that this is a Texas based forum, hopefully I can get this question answered.

I've always bought guns thru face to face purchases because I'm not a fan on being in big bruthaz database

So, my question is this - if I were to take a gun to a gunsmith to have a little work done on it, would I have to fill out the FFL paperwork in order to get it back?
    Welcome to the forum. There a few FFL's here that should be able to answer that for tou.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When I sent my 03A3 in to have it turned into a SBR in .308 i had to send my form approving the work. I know the the nature of NFA requires your Stamp, but that's a compliance thing for the smith if he get an inspection.

Title 1 firearms don't come with stamps to be burdened with.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Welcome to the forum.

For your non NFA guns, no you don’t have to fill out a 4473 to get your gun back.

However, your information along with information on your gun is logged into the gunsmith’s logbook which the ATF has access to when they do inspections.

Born Here

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2022
    The Woods
    OK, thanks for the insights. I'm just trying to learn what's up with this so I don't have any surprises.

What started me thinking about this and realizing I needed to learn more is, a while back I took a rifle to a guy I had bought some ammo from a few months prior and he gave me his card then and said he was a gunsmith and I should call him if I needed any work done.

So, I had this minor issue that I had him take care of. I dropped the rifle off with him and a couples days later I picked it up and he did not ask me my name (he just knows my first name and my cell ph number), and I paid in cash and he gave me the rifler back.

During the drop off, he did mention that he was an FFL dealer (at the time I didn't think anything about that)

I told a guy I know about all this and he claimed that since this guy is an FFL dealer that I was required to do all the paperwork to get the rifle back just like I would have to do if I were to go in to a gun store to buy a new or used gun from them.

So, should I maybe call up a bunch of gunsmiths in the area and ask them if I would have to do paperwork to get the gun back from their shop if I were to have them do some work and see what they all says?

I'm just trying to find out what the straight scoup is... so I can know for sure and know what rights I have, if any

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    If the firearm is in their possession for over 24 hours it goes on the books. Generally BATFE does not require the customer to fill out a 4473 if the gun is picked up by the same customer after 24 hours. Your information is filled into the book when you receive the firearm back.

However.....the FFL/Gunsmith can require you fill out a 4473 if they desire..................

Always ask what their policy is so you don't have any surprises.....

Born Here

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2022
    The Woods
    Yep, if the gunsmith has lee way in some of this then that sounds like the best thing to do is ask them before dropping it off.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    He likely just told you he was a FFL so you would know he could do transfers for you. Likely charges a very small fee for it.

Lots of gun guys order guns online, but have to use a local FFL to accept the shipped gun, at which point you fill out a 4473 like you are buying it from them. Only you have already paid the online seller, and you just pay the FFL their fee, which varies from one to another. I have seen from $15 to $50 per transfer. (not per gun)

For example I bought a Ruger 10-22 break-down edition from Palmetto State Armory (good prices usually). I paid them for it, then had them ship it to a local FFL. Then I filled out the 4473 at my local FFL, paid his fee, then got my already paid for gun.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Selling to individuals is sooo much easier (and sometimes a better deal). As long as the seller has no reason to believe the buyer is a felon, etc., the seller can legally sell it to them.
    And on the other end of that, if the seller knows, for some reason, the buyer is illegal to posses a firearm, buyer and seller can get in a lot of trouble.

Outrider

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2022
    Elmo, Texas
    Never had to at my go to shop in Wills Point. Never left one overnight though, they may have a different procedure then. They always get to me right away and I am in and out in an hour most of the time. Little stuff like trigger work, sights and diagnosing of a problem once with a gas block.

Top Bottom