• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    I'm looking for a gunsmith to re-barrel an 1891 Argentine Mauser carbine. The gun is in very good condition except for a very crusty bore. Willing to drive some distance from the San Antonio area for the right 'smith who will do the work.
    Thanks.
    DK Firearms

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Is the bore just dark and frosty? Or is it pitted? A dark frosty bore doesn't necessarily mean it won't shoot well....

Being it was a black powder cartridge, pitting wouldn't be uncommon and is different critter that will affect accuracy......

scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    Is the bore just dark and frosty? Or is it pitted? A dark frosty bore doesn't necessarily mean it won't shoot well....
    Yeah, she's pitted...run a patch through it and it comes out shredded. It is also quite dark, and I didn't inspect it well enough before I bought it.
    The 7.65x53 was never a black powder cartridge, according to Ken Waters' Pet Loads. It has always been a smokeless round but did suffer from those old military mercuric primers.
    I'm wondering if a 7mm Mauser barrel could be fitted, then rechambered...:confused: but would probably double or triple the worth of the rifle!

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Yeah, she's pitted...run a patch through it and it comes out shredded. It is also quite dark, and I didn't inspect it well enough before I bought it.
    The 7.65x53 was never a black powder cartridge, according to Ken Waters' Pet Loads. It has always been a smokeless round but did suffer from those old military mercuric primers.
    I'm wondering if a 7mm Mauser barrel could be fitted, then rechambered...:confused: but would probably double or triple the worth of the rifle!
    The 1891 Mauser action used on Argentine carbines will not withstand modern 7x57 ammo. Stick with the original caliber or some US cartridge with a similar CUP and gradient.30-30 0r 30-40. Ishoot my 1891 Arg carbine with Norma ammo and it is a good cartridge out to 150 meters.or 200 on stretch

scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    Yeah, it's not my intent to rebarrel to 7x57, but to find a Mauser barrel which can be fitted and then rechambered / rebored to 7.65x53.
    It's a great round, and I already reload for it. Just gotta find a barrel.

Top Bottom