• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas yankee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    I just completed a one-week, NRA-sanctioned, 1911 Armorers Class at Murray State College in Tishomingo, OK (about two hours North of Dallas). MCS offers a complete program on gunsmith training during the regular school year, but in the Summer they offer a series of condensed, one-week sessions, about all aspects of gunsmithing - here's a link to the 2017 sessions - http://www.mscok.edu/academics/departments/gunsmithing_technology/nra_summer_program.aspx.

The instructor the for 1911 armorer class I took was exceptional - his subject matter knowledge was complete, but he was also a great teacher with plenty of time for questions and the class included lots of hands-on activities. And the cost of the course - only $300 - made it a great value. For an additional $50 a night, you can get a dorm room and three meals a day in the student cafeteria!

I'm retired, and I was only interested in learning more about 1911s for my own enjoyment, but there were guys in the class working towards a gunsmithing career.

I'm already planning on taking a few courses next Summer.
    Gun Zone Deals

texas yankee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    Probably best to get the instructor's name from the school - the link I posted will get ya to an email address for the school. I took the 1911 Armorer's Class - we didn't build a 1911 "from scratch", but there is a 1911 Builders Class where ya mill the slide and fit barrels and all that kinda stuff. The descriptions for all of the classes are in the link, and the nice gal that administers the program (Sherri) is great with specific questions about the classes. Hope that helps - if not, let me know!

Top Bottom