• ...and so much more!
  • bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    S619,

Thanks for the reply...now to find out what a window is...

AFAIK (I know how much you love acronyms), the "window" opening that allows the barrel to be seen from the top of the slide is for the purpose of reducing the overall slide weight, in order to match the longer slide on the Glock 34 to the recoil spring. Ie, a too heavy slide would retard the movement of the slide and screw up timing.

We want fast cycling for paired shots, like those USPSA guys and their .38 Super guns.

Makum sense???

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    AFAIK (I know how much you love acronyms), the "window" opening that allows the barrel to be seen from the top of the slide is for the purpose of reducing the overall slide weight, in order to match the longer slide on the Glock 34 to the recoil spring. Ie, a too heavy slide would retard the movement of the slide and screw up timing.

We want fast cycling for paired shots, like those USPSA guys and their .38 Super guns.

Makum sense???

Only in a convoluted and confused way!

Seriously, sounds reasonable.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    As a member of the 40+ club now I can attest to the benefits of dot sights. However, I will always appreciate the precision of a quality iron sights setup. Granted, new age iron sights aren't just metal anymore but give me a fiber optic post and I feel like my precision potential is better than a 6 moa dot.

I'm sure if I trained with one enough I would eventually be as confident as some of you but hey I'm kinda old school. Charlie don't go ruin any 1911s for no good reason. I'd agree about buying a dedicated gun to try one out. A friend of mine has a tp9 and likes it so far.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    @Charlie

I bought into an ATI FXH 45 which is a funny looking 1911 designed to accept slide mounted reflex sights. It is made in the USA and actually surprised me being much better than I expected.

Specs are here: https://www.americantactical.us/5179/detail.html

This is mine sporting a Holosun 508T:

7d723651a991fd5fe6b1c5e5dd1daede.jpg

I share it 'cause it works a treat for this 1911 guy. I got it very cheap too.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Dangit Charlie, you should have made the reunion! We had some pistols with red dot/reflex sights there. As you probably know, virtually all my handguns are metal & old school. I decided a year or so ago I'd get a good polymer gun with a red dot on it. Based on @Darkpriest667 constantly yapping about Caniks, I got a TP9SFX.

I do love the gun, but as far as the sight goes - it took a while to figure it out. I spent the first few range sessions pulling the gun up from low ready and looking for the dot. After years of iron sights, it took a while. I think iron sights are easier to see because of the big slab of metal they are mounted on. After shooting with the red dot, I think it is easier to acquire. As in, I can definitely get shots on target faster.

Where the sight has really excelled for me is in longer ranges. It has made it much easier to hit targets at 50+ yards. I always enjoyed doing that, and the things you have to concentrate on drops by half. Instead of front sight, back sight, target - now you're just at dot, target.

Last thought. At the reunion, TreyG-20, said the Vortex sight I had was much better than the Sig Romeo on his P365XL. I can't comment on that, but it would make me look through a few.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Thanks for all the comments folks! I may just have to buy me a new gun (1911:)) that is already set up for the red dot sights! I'm hesitant to have somebody cutting and grinding on a gun that works well as it is. Or maybe just a new slide ready to go with a red dot!

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Well, before you even think about cutting one of those classics - PM me. To be honest, my favorite guns at the range were a S&W 17, and one of my 9mm 1911's. Now it's the Canik.

Top Bottom