• ...and so much more!
  • TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    I just need to stop making excuses.

YES YOU DO.

I'm tired... sleepy-tired in fact. Guess where I'm going in a half hour? The gym. Who am I going with? Myself. I'm not in "the mood" but I know that I will not regret leaving the gym tired as opposed to putting off exercise. You only have so much time here on planet Earth, I suggest you utilize every possible moment.

It's a luxury to have a friend support you in the gym but it can hinder your progress as well. Say your buddy can't make it; you shouldn't blow off a day because someone couldn't join you. No one will hold your hand and if they do, they're preventing you from two fist-fulls of "**** You Old Me". Pick whatever gym works for you and go ASAP. There's people there who can spot you if you need it. Some are annoying meat-heads who won't shut up about how you're doing whatever wrong and some are genuinely nice and helpful people.

At any rate, get some headphones that won't back out when you get sweaty. Start whatever workout it is that you have in mind and push yourself. C'mon, I know you got it in you! :whip:

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    If any of you are interested in outdoor group fitness, there are over 20 Camp Gladiator locations in San Antonio. I've found it to be very effective and have met some cool people as well.

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    If any of you are interested in outdoor group fitness, there are over 20 Camp Gladiator locations in San Antonio. I've found it to be very effective and have met some cool people as well.

Is that like biking and hiking?

"Prepare yourself for the future,with what you've seen in the present"

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    YES YOU DO.

I'm tired... sleepy-tired in fact. Guess where I'm going in a half hour? The gym. Who am I going with? Myself. I'm not in "the mood" but I know that I will not regret leaving the gym tired as opposed to putting off exercise. You only have so much time here on planet Earth, I suggest you utilize every possible moment.

It's a luxury to have a friend support you in the gym but it can hinder your progress as well. Say your buddy can't make it; you shouldn't blow off a day because someone couldn't join you. No one will hold your hand and if they do, they're preventing you from two fist-fulls of "**** You Old Me". Pick whatever gym works for you and go ASAP. There's people there who can spot you if you need it. Some are annoying meat-heads who won't shut up about how you're doing whatever wrong and some are genuinely nice and helpful people.

At any rate, get some headphones that won't back out when you get sweaty. Start whatever workout it is that you have in mind and push yourself. C'mon, I know you got it in you! :whip:

Im a horrible self motivator, but i need to get this going!

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I avoid golds. I currently go to Flex Fit. Any gym with a cheap membership and decent equipment that fits your needs will do you right. Plus the golds trainers pissed off my wife.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Planet fitness as a company, is a joke... IMO
    Might have voiced that opinion already. Sorry.
    They discourage heavy lifting and have terrible marketing ideas making fun of lifters

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Planet fitness as a company, is a joke... IMO
    Might have voiced that opinion already. Sorry.
    They discourage heavy lifting and have terrible marketing ideas making fun of lifters

I believe you did mention it. But is the heavy lifting an issue I as a beginner to fitness would need to worry too much about?

Im literally just starting out on this whole get fit thing. Ill probably be on a treadmill for brisk walking for an hour or so, with light lifting.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I don't lift heavy. Their stance annoys me.
    Same way that it pisses me off that Baylor doesn't allow tobacco on campus even though I'm not a smoker/dipper...

But I would very much rather someone go to PF than not! Good point sir!

Wiked

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Well I regained 5 pounds in the last week and a half. Gotta get back to it

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    Do we have any update on this? Ive just 'hit bottom' in regards to how im feeling about weight, and would love to get working on a olan of action with someone on the western half of San Antonio. There is a Planet Futness that has some pretty decent reviews on it at 410/Marbach on the west side. ( Planet Fitness Gyms in San Antonio (Marbach), TX ).

Im thinking this would be the place to go, after i get off work in the late evenings during the week, if anyone would be interested in tagging along. I just need to stop making excuses.
    im halfway between marbach and potranco location, i avoided marbach because of my schedule and the area gets a bit shady late at night. potranco is nice and quiet.

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    im halfway between marbach and potranco location, i avoided marbach because of my schedule and the area gets a bit shady late at night. potranco is nice and quiet.

You've got that right, and I've got a fairly decent looking vehicle, I would be skeptical
    To visit there after dark. Potranco is much better, I used to go to that one until I cancelled my membership because I was bored. Will probably be re-signing up sometime between the 7th and 9th

"Prepare yourself for the future,with what you've seen in the present"

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Get a routine even if it is just a routine for you like "go to the gym on the way to work" or "on the way home." I am a bit older than you all at 35, but in April I was 297 and now I am 270 (I was 262 but just came back from a vacation in Puerto Rico). I have always been a big guy but got myself down to 205 a few years back and was comfortable at 230, my goal is to get back to 230-235.

Cardio is fine, but MUSCLE burns FAT. I used to jog and do cardio etc., it was fine it worked okay, but nothing like lifting has though. You will get conversion at times so you won't lose as much weight on the scale but your body will be changing. This is HIGHLY motivating as you will feel stronger. With Cardio you may not notice losing 2-3 pounds, but when you can add 10 pounds to your lift etc., it helps one feel better. Adjusting your diet will help too, cut out white sugar and processed foods as much as possible and drink lots of water.

I have a random schedule as well, I travel for work so I know what you are saying, but you can find a way to make it work.

Good luck, stick with it. It will work.

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    I don't lift heavy. Their stance annoys me.
    Same way that it pisses me off that Baylor doesn't allow tobacco on campus even though I'm not a smoker/dipper...

But I would very much rather someone go to PF than not! Good point sir!

PF is dumb, but since I travel for work it makes sense for me. The one on Bandera has a PF 360 setup, not all do. This allows one to do some Crossfit type stuff. The one off 1604 has more squat racks though. It makes me mad they that they do not have "free bars" to allow for things like over head squats, cleans, dead lifts etc., but I can make do with a squat rack generally. The $20/mo is nice too. I did Crossfit in AZ, but with my new work, I cannot afford $100-$150/mo for a gym that I cannot access on my terms.

I do not consider them a "healthy place" with a giant bowl of Tootsie rolls at the door, free pizza on the 1st Monday and Bagels on the 1st Tuesday of the months. I have never "seen" these events myself but there are websites and blogs dedicated to the stupidity at PF.

I will say that the gear themselves towards "wheel runners" as I call them. They have TONS and TONS of treadmills, but if you have a plan and routine you want to follow or whatever they leave you alone.

Top Bottom