• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    Glad they came up with an emergency plan. Wonder how well it got disseminated to their vendors and potential attendees???

Still think it is going to be a mess on Sunday. Probably hit it Saturday.

PawPaw, sometimes there are real good selections of reloading components, some times not. It's a crap shoot as to which vendors make it down. If the bullet man makes it, you are in luck. Bulk bullets at real good prices. Plan on spending most of the day there if you have not attended before. If you plan to at least scan every item on every table it will can take 5+ hours to cover it. Bring a note pad and pencil, it pays to shop around for the best price, being able to write down where you saw an item is great.

Evidently a lot of their vendors bailed when they heard the show was going to overlap with a game day, then later came back and wanted tables. Apparently they've got all but a few of their tables sold. Should be a good show on Saturday. In talking to some of the gentlemen who had tables at the last show that overlapped with a Texans game, they indicated that the morning was great, but the show died once the game started. Might be able to swing some deals if you are there around 2 or 3 on Sunday.
    Capitol Armory ad

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The show is a good size, but not big by HGCA standards. I walked the floor twice, and saw nothing that I needed. IMHO the selection was one of the poorest that I can remember. A few vendors that I talked to said that they are dreading Sunday afternoon, anticipating no one will be in there during the football game. Ammo was too expensive, even by current standards. If you wanted a Glock they had plenty except the 10mm. I searched for a 9mm with a threaded barrel, and found exactly one, a Sig P229 and it was purchased when I turned my head. Lots of AR's, and AK's. I saw 2 Tavor's but they wanted $2299.00 for them.
    At noon Saturday it was not what I would consider crowded, and lookers greatly outnumbered buyers judging by the lack of lines filling out forms..

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    IXLR8 that was pretty much my experience. The show was a little bit bigger than a GRB show.

I thought the selection was pretty good, and the prices are back to the new normal. Saw an Colt AR-15, NIB, $1040. So that is ok.

You can still get PMags cheaper on line, even with shipping charges.

Lots of cheap automatic knives. One table had them 3 for $25. more expensive ones also available by Benchmade, SOG, etc.

G19s from $525. Even saw a G19C for $530. So good to see that return from the outrageous.

Vendors dreading tomorrow. However they said that is when the good deals will be made, during the game.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I went this morning and was pretty good sized and had fome fair deals. Ammo is still a tad high but not way out there. Things are looking up. In another 6 months things will be settling down. IMO Had a great time bullshitting with vendors. The Grump and I had some funny stories. I laid on the bullshit to some people that even impressed myself...Time flew by and before I knew it they were kicking us out. Picked up a case (12) of new 50cal ammo cases and three 20 round drum mags for my shotgun. 2 automatic knifes. All and all I gave it a 7 out of 10.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the $170.00 automatic knives. At least you had your choice of blade shape....
    They were kinda heavy, and had what appeared to be a glass breaker on the butt. Actually it was your choice $140 or $170, although I could not tell the difference. I assume it was the blade steel that was different.

Last edited:

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I went and I too thought the selection rather limited. Vendors had a lot piled on their tables, but it was just a lot of the same old same old. Buddy was hunting for an FN 5.7 and found only one at the show. And it was FDE. Between the 5 of us that went we bought a few odds and ends. But we were done before noon. Thought it was.....okay. Seen better selection there in the past. Wonder if the football schedule (A&M game that afternoon, NFL game the next day) kind of mellowed it out this time. So a lot of vendors thought the crowd would die down Saturday afternoon from all the people leaving in time to catch the game. And the crowd would be almost non-existent on Sunday as people didn't want to fight the Texans traffic. So they showed, but didn't bring great selections. I did overhear more than one vendor saying they hadn't sold anything so far. And that was around 11 or so.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I need a hand guard for my AR, anyone notice the selection / prices on those?

Was Graham the Glock guy there?

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    (Was Graham the Glock guy there?) I did not see him. There were a lot of big players missing as well. There were a few places for a mostly Magpul handguards, but I did not check prices. There was only one large magazine vendor where normally you see two or more.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I too thought a lot of 'regulars' were missing. Whole show seemed to have a bit of an 'odd' atmosphere. I thought it would be more crowded than it was. I'd guess a lot of people were getting ready for an A&M / 'Bama watching party later in the day. I stopped at one table and was interested in a shotgun. All their sales folks were congregated at the other end hovering over their pistols. I stood there for a few minutes. Couple of guys walked right past me. I walked on. Almost seemed like they weren't interested in selling anything. They seemed more worried about someone stealing something off their table, or that their water bottle might get lost.

Flyerdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2013
    Did anyone notice any M1 Garand parts or vendors selling Mosin Nagants 1891/30 rifles? How is traffic around reliant today? The Texans traffic kept me away from the noon opening time.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    Got to the park and ride at 9am. No traffic. Doors opened at 10. Show was busy, but not crowded at all. Not much traffic at all leaving about 1045

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    I went on Saturday. Walked through the entire show. Bought a couple 1911 mags and a magazine organizer bag off of John Dixon, and some silver off a kid selling off his dad's collection of bullion. I sold my Beretta Nano to an older gentleman. Didn't get as much as I hoped for it, but I walked away with cash to put towards some suppressors. I ran into a buddy running a table and ended up sitting with him for about 6 hours, through the end of the show. I was trying to sell my Sig and my Colt Mustang. Had a lot of bites on both, but no takers.

All in all it was a fun show for me. But, it wasn't as big or as interesting as previous shows. Hall "C" is smaller than their typical location, Hall A, but there were still unsold tables. I think some of the purveyors of the more rare and unique stuff didn't make the show. I also think it has a lot to do with the market. Vendors coming in from all over have to spend a good amount of money to be present at the show, and I think it is increasingly difficult to pay for the weekend selling older firearms.

Anyway, I'll be at the show in January. Might split a table with a buddy...

Trueno

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Golden Triangle
    G19s from $525. Even saw a G19C for $530. So good to see that return from the outrageous.

Friend that I work tables with had 3rd gen 19's for 489, 4th gens were 526, is that about right?

Did anyone notice any M1 Garand parts or vendors selling Mosin Nagants 1891/30 rifles? How is traffic around reliant today? The Texans traffic kept me away from the noon opening time.

Welcome to Texas Gun Talk. I would say that just about any HGCA or GRB show will have plenty of each but the 91/30's were still at 250-275...screw that, you can get them for 179 at Gander.

again, welcome to TGT,

t

Trueno

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Golden Triangle
    44hy570_zpsa75ac671.jpg

I worked tables with a buddy on Sat, walked around and scored a 6.5" HY HUNTER in .44 Mag from a cool old fart from Waco. He remarked about how this might be his last time at HGCA due to cost of tables vs net profit. Paid him 245 for the gun, probably what he spent on the trip and tables :(

Bought a stage gun from a passerby, 1860 black powder, got it for $25.

Got some 45LC from Straitwell Shooters Supplies. 50rds of 200gr RFN for $30...thinking back I wish I'd bought a dozen boxes, gonna get some more next time I'm in Houston.

The pepperoni pizza for $8 was actually almost edible, drank the $5 powerade reeeeeeeaaaaallll sllllloooooowwwwwww!

t

Top Bottom