• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    This was mentioned in another thread along with H.R. 8, but I thought it deserved it's own space. I understand it doesn't affect LTC holders right now, but there are still many buyers out their who live in areas where their state license doesn't bypass NICS, as well as those who simply choose not to get one for whatever reason. And if they ever get rid of the NICS bypass, then all would all be affected.

The actual text is not yet up for this bill, but according to the press release has passed out of committee. HR1112 is another one of those bills that would seem on the face of it to the uninitiated to be a no brainer, which scares me. However, for us it has the potential to be yet another disaster waiting to happen.

The only text I can get is from Chairman Nadler's statement.

https://judiciary.house.gov/news/pr...markup-hr-1112-enhanced-background-checks-act

“The bill before us today, H.R. 1112, would strengthen the background check procedures federal firearms licensees or dealers follow before selling or transferring a firearm. Under this measure, the initial period a gun dealer must wait for an answer from the NICS, is extended from 3 to ten days. If, after ten days the NICS system has not returned an answer to the licensed firearms dealer, the prospective purchaser may file a petition with the Attorney General, which should help resolve most applications in short order.

“If an additional ten days elapses without a response from the NICS system, the licensed firearms dealer then may sell or transfer the firearm to the prospective purchaser, if the dealer has no reason to believe that the purchaser is prohibited from obtaining a firearm under Federal, state, or local law."

So they want to give the the government a blank check, of sorts, to implement a 20 day waiting period and then only if a petition is sent to the AG. Under the a future administration, I can see them enforcing that delay as the rule and not an exception. Of course under the right (read Left) administration, I can see this going from a potential 20 waiting period to no waiting period and no transfer w/o a response at all.
    Capitol Armory ad

Top Bottom