• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you feel about this bill?

• The Federal Government should not be involved in regulating CHLs

Votes: 11 78.6%
    • The Federal Government should regulate CHLs so that I can carry in any state

Votes: 1 7.1%
    • Undecided / Other

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Has anyone been following this? Latest status I have seen is that it's been through a subcomittee hearing.

It's supposed to force all states to recognize CHL licenses. On the flip side, its conceding regulatory authority of CHLs to the Federal government...we all know where that can go.

Adding a poll. What do you think?

(I voted that the Fed shouldn't be involved. I think there should be NO laws (ie infringement) regarding keeping or bearing arms.)

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    I read the then current text a week ago. It might have changed since then.

There was some weird language in it that to me said the bill offers no protection to you when you carry a gun that was made in and never sold outside your state of residence.

It doesn't force all states to recognize carry licenses either from what I read. Basically if a locality allows it's own residents to carry, then you can carry there if you have a state issued carry license and state issued photographic ID from your state of residence.

There weren't any amendments in it at the time I read it, and it seemed like it was done in good intentions. But we all know where good intentions can lead. Honestly I could care less if this bill passes or not. It might be a bad precedent way down the road, but it would let me carry places I don't have a strong desire to visit.

ETA: When I read it, the qualifications for a CHL that is enforceable were very simple;

If you can legally own a gun, you're good to go.

Seeing that every state issued CHL meets this requirement, I don't see how the feds would have any exceeding authority over the matter of issuing CHLs in the version I read.

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    My concern is that this will just give the feds an excuse to come back next year or the year after and introduce another bill to establish federal standards for licensure. Remember that bills can be amended by future laws.

To my mind, the "full faith and credit" clause of the constitution ought to do it.

Top Bottom