• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Had a couple TIAs while back, first was lifting 'shade' effect in both eyes, cleaned out carotid. Then no sight in left eye, recovered, another couple. Part of carotid can't be cleaned so they put me on more meds. Head MRI found a small 'flap' of artery would temp. close off blood to eye. So far problem fixed.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    My precious wife had a stroke 9 1/2 years ago at only 51 years old. It was a small, microscopic blood clot in her hypothalamus. It did major damage and she will never recover from it. I thank Heaven every day that otherwise she is healthy. I've had a bunch of TIAs over the last 25 years, none of which did any noticeable damage. I'll be praying for you and hoping you don't get anything worse than what you've already had.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Thank you all for the well wishes, words of wisdom, and for telling your stories. I've got my fingers crossed as well that nothing more serious comes up. You'll all be added to my prayers as well. As I understand it strokes are fairly common and sometimes people never know they happened, it's the bad ones that I fear. The ones where I can't walk, can't hug my family, can't talk, or can no longer hunt pigs or have the strength or ability to pull the trigger at the range.

Just venting my fears now knowing that there is something there, lurking, waiting for what I don't know...

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    I feel like a sense of humor, however dark it may be is helping quit a bit. In speaking with my dad about he only asked that I let him know whether or not I see a doctor so that he could take out a life insurance policy to potentially recoup some of his investment.
    When I called my other brother to let him know what was going I simply told him that I wanted to let him know that between the one brothers PFO and my recent discovery that he may end up being the sole beneficiary to mom and dads estates. He didn't find it as funny as I did. Oh well.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    A couple of weeks ago I had an incident where I need to go to the ER because I had a sudden onset of double vision. The ER performed some tests and they came back clear and I was discharged. Since then I had appointments with an ophthalmologist, and neurologist both of who were unable to locate any issues however my neurologist did schedule another MRI to be performed this past Monday. Wednesday evening around 7pm I got a call from none other than my neurologist stating that the new MRI showed indications of me having a stroke at some point between last September and this past Monday. He stated that it did not look to be recent but that the evidence was there.

Last week I got a call from one of my brothers explain that he had seen a cardiologist for symptoms that he experienced while he was scuba diving in Mexico. His diagnosis was that he has what is known as a PFO, which in layman’s terms is essentially a condition during development in the womb resulting in a hole between the upper chambers of the heart. This is fairly common and most of the time people live full lives without ever knowing that they have it but in some cases people with a PFO experience migraine (aura headaches) and PFO’s can cause strokes in “younger” individuals.

I've got appointments on Monday with both Neuro and Cardio to find out what we need to do if anything. We'll see what happens, prayers would be appreciated, as well as comments from anybody else who has gone through this.
    Prayers for a positive outcome.

I had a stroke in 2015. They discovered that I have PFO, but they attributed the stroke to a severe migraine. I was fortunate to mostly bounce back. It sounds like a bad joke, but I can no longer play the violin.
    My suggestion is to do tons of research to find out how to best position yourself for good health. None of those things is a death sentence, so live the best you can and avoid risky lifestyle.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    A couple of weeks ago I had an incident where I need to go to the ER because I had a sudden onset of double vision. The ER performed some tests and they came back clear and I was discharged. Since then I had appointments with an ophthalmologist, and neurologist both of who were unable to locate any issues however my neurologist did schedule another MRI to be performed this past Monday. Wednesday evening around 7pm I got a call from none other than my neurologist stating that the new MRI showed indications of me having a stroke at some point between last September and this past Monday. He stated that it did not look to be recent but that the evidence was there.

Last week I got a call from one of my brothers explain that he had seen a cardiologist for symptoms that he experienced while he was scuba diving in Mexico. His diagnosis was that he has what is known as a PFO, which in layman’s terms is essentially a condition during development in the womb resulting in a hole between the upper chambers of the heart. This is fairly common and most of the time people live full lives without ever knowing that they have it but in some cases people with a PFO experience migraine (aura headaches) and PFO’s can cause strokes in “younger” individuals.

I've got appointments on Monday with both Neuro and Cardio to find out what we need to do if anything. We'll see what happens, prayers would be appreciated, as well as comments from anybody else who has gone through this.
    best wishes

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Damn brother! You're meant to be here still. Hope you get to lean what's what. Until then, you're in my prayers.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Today's update...

Evidently my LDL is more than double what it should be so I now have lipitor. I have a bubble test scheduled for next Tuesday to check for a PFO and I have a fancy heart monitor that I'm now wearing for a month.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Today's update...

Evidently my LDL is more than double what it should be so I now have lipitor. I have a bubble test scheduled for next Tuesday to check for a PFO and I have a fancy heart monitor that I'm now wearing for a month.

Bubble echo is decent fun, they’ll hook up an IV line and shoot some aerated saline in, then watch it traverse the heart. They’ll probably want you to cough on command to help confirm if the bubbles are getting thru.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Bubble study seems odd, considering one is supposed to make sure there are no bubbles in a syringe.
    Bubbles in a syringe going to a vein aren't a big deal usually. Unless it's a large amount of air. Air in artery can be no bueno.

The fine bubbles on echo are so you can follow the blood flow, like Todd said. Otherwise the heart chamber just looks like a black void.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Bubble study seems odd, considering one is supposed to make sure there are no bubbles in a syringe.
    Yes, it gets drilled into you during SCUBA training: bubbles in the blood stream are bad and can cause an embolism.
    Now, I had that test (and have PFO) and when they told me what they are going to do, I was like "whaaaaaat????".

Top Bottom