• ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Now I'm itching to work on my draws.

The scenario was a guy just walked in my front door. I don't know how he could have done that as I always keep the both locks locked. But the guy just walked in and looked at me like he knew what he was already going to do. He came at me. I knew I was carrying and its like I was just waiting for the perfect time to draw even though I knew when he came through the door that he was a bad guy. Its almost as if I was waiting to be certain that I could draw and I wouldn't be in trouble for brandishing. The guy moved around behind me and put me in a choke hold and it was only then that I drew. My mind was saying "Ok now because he cannot see the side of your body. Your gun is away from him and your strong arm is free".

What in the world?!?!

While those are all perfectly fine considerations that I must have, the biggest screw up was that first move I failed to act as soon as that guy walked in the door. I didn't make space!

Anyway, I know where Dream Shorts went wrong as I go over each step of the dream. In reality, I didn't make space and I was well within my right to draw as soon as I saw an uninvited person open the door. I'm just surprised how my mind worked through the scenario to get to the point that I could draw. I think even a small part of that hesitation to draw was because I didn't want to scare some person who was there to work in the yard, or the house or the normal city workers that come around the neighborhood all the time.

I suppose my subconscious is working overtime. Not all bad as its confirmation that I am aware, even at home, of who is around. But it is unnerving.

I think this dream was finally triggered by a comment my cousin in law made yesterday as I was walking her out the door. I unlocked both locks and she said "Oh you do that too?". I told her, "Yup, you just never know. I hear so many news stories of people being robbed and killed in their own house".

Right after she left, I locked the door, went uptairs to get cleaned up for the day (we had taken the dogs to the lake) and then strapped on the heater.

Fellers, DON'T just bust in my front door. Ring the doorbell for your own health!

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Until it actually happens, no one knows exactly how they will react. All you can do is prepare yourself and hope for the best. Situational awareness I think is the key. As you said, keep doors locked etc. An attack will never play out as you think it will., so you've got to make split second decisions. Not easy.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Agreed.

I think what is catching my attention right now is that home invasions have been high on my thought list. Very often when a certain topic is on my brain, it ends up hitting really close to home. Almost like an intuition.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Wow what a dream!!!
    I'll stick with mine though thank you - LOL!
    They hand me the keys to the Remington Ammo factory and tell me it's ALL MINE!!!!! - ROFLMAO!

Space is very important and cover even more so.
    Hesitation is a normal response when surprised.
    The scenario played out to what conclusion?
    I suspect he got the SHORTS end of the barrel!!!!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Wow what a dream!!!
    I'll stick with mine though thank you - LOL!
    They hand me the keys to the Remington Ammo factory and tell me it's ALL MINE!!!!! - ROFLMAO!

Space is very important and cover even more so.
    Hesitation is a normal response when surprised.
    The scenario played out to what conclusion?
    I suspect he got the SHORTS end of the barrel!!!!

The business end of the barrel came up to my left shoulder to meet the guy between the eyes. At that point the dream stopped. You know, the all important moment that you want the dream to continue But even that end was wrong. The move I was taught was not to bring the gun up to the guys face, and subsequently next to my face. But rather I'm suppose to turn into the the guy, tuck the chin, and put the strong arm tight to my side with the muzzle facing the guy's belly and pull the trigger as I step back, then go to a full extension as space allows and the gun is brought up to sighted aim.

I want to take some more training classes. And not classroom business, more hands on at the range. I'm more of a gym rat than a library nerd The last ccw class we took was in '04 or '05.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Definately gets you thinking. I recently had a dream that I was attacked by a knife-weilding POS at the mall right after I put my daughter in the truck.

I use to never lock the door to the garage cuase the garage was closed, I do now

I use to not worry so much about locking my truck doors after entering the vehicle, i do now (As soon as the door closes)

I constantly scan my surroundings as I approach my vehicle, leave a building or come home...

and thankfully my wife is too

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I'll go back and read it but first thing I saw was the title and thought you meant a dream you woke up and had to draw.

Once I figured out that's not what it was, I read the first line and read it as "Now I'm itching to work on my drawers."

I may need some mental health help.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I'll go back and read it but first thing I saw was the title and thought you meant a dream you woke up and had to draw.

Once I figured out that's not what it was, I read the first line and read it as "Now I'm itching to work on my drawers."

I may need some mental health help.

OMG JK tex............that's exactly how I read it even down to the "work on my drawers!" I thought Shorts might have messed up her drawrers. We do need some help!

Okie556

frijolero817

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    That's a scary feeling to have a dream like that. My nightmares always involve cartridge failures when I need them to work. That said, in reality I have had to draw my weapon a couple of times to defend myself (I didn't have to discharge my weapon though). I never hesitated, and I think it's because I spent many hours training when I worked security forces. I believe that practicing until you can't get it wrong is a big plus, and I agree; hit the range, as it's always better to do and get the muscle memory down than sit in a class and think you can do it.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Definately gets you thinking. I recently had a dream that I was attacked by a knife-weilding POS at the mall right after I put my daughter in the truck.

I use to never lock the door to the garage cuase the garage was closed, I do now

I use to not worry so much about locking my truck doors after entering the vehicle, i do now (As soon as the door closes)

I constantly scan my surroundings as I approach my vehicle, leave a building or come home...

and thankfully my wife is too
    I do almost all of that. As a regular thing. I draw from my holster regularly and try and never be to far from a gun in my house. Paranoid? No not me. Just ready.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    That's a scary feeling to have a dream like that. My nightmares always involve cartridge failures when I need them to work. That said, in reality I have had to draw my weapon a couple of times to defend myself (I didn't have to discharge my weapon though). I never hesitated, and I think it's because I spent many hours training when I worked security forces. I believe that practicing until you can't get it wrong is a big plus, and I agree; hit the range, as it's always better to do and get the muscle memory down than sit in a class and think you can do it.

No kidding. I got that scared, being chased feeling. I even thought 'this is actually happening'.

TxEMT, I started locking the doors in my truck right away too. I realized that it does me no good to be alert of my surroundings all the way to my truck onlly to go to condition cold as soon as I sat down in the seat.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    One of the things that I really had to work on for muscle memory and motion was my draws because I carry small of back because its most comfortable for me being a smaller person with hip bones that jut out like wings at my side... My ruger sp101 is always within fingertip reach in my car with 4 speedloaders next to it... In my house it is the sawed off 20 and my 85 with 3 additional mags... Preperation is key...

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Everytime I have a dream like this, I end up getting shot. Every time.

I usually take some bad guys with me, but I always get shot. In the chest, usually.

Not a good feeling. I hate that feeling of not being able to scream.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I need to work on my draw, too... Just the same, inside the house, it's going to be a foot race between me and Mr. Intruder to see who can get to the AK fastest. Since I know exactly where it is, I'm going to win. :p

Ugh. I hate that. Either the gun won't work or it's not a real gun...

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I need to work on my draw, too... Just the same, inside the house, it's going to be a foot race between me and Mr. Intruder to see who can get to the AK fastest. Since I know exactly where it is, I'm going to win. :p

Ugh. I hate that. Either the gun won't work or it's not a real gun...

Dreams where you keep squeezing the trigger and nothing happens are nuts and scary... Thankfully of the thousands of rounds I've shot I've never had a failure to fire

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've had one or two, but those were always cheap communist-produced stuff. Capitalists make better ammo, but I do love the ruggedness of the commie guns.

Top Bottom