• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lakerat24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2015
    DFW
    Odd that you have to re-submit dd214 since they should already have that documentation from the first time you submitted. It's not like you won't be a veteran this time.

Antares

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    Seabrook, TX
    I did it online 2 weeks later I received a second letter saying that I failed to submit my DD214 or other documentation proving I was a veteran. Even though when I sent in my renewal with copy of my drivers license it said on it I was a Veteran. I sent a copy of DD214 over the internet and received an e-mail the next day stating that they received the documentation. Now just waiting. I was thinking maybe because I am 71 they think I am too old.

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    Even though when I sent in my renewal with copy of my drivers license it said on it I was a Veteran.

When I renewed my DL, I asked if they would have a record of the DD-214 for the LTC. I received a very curt, "no". So, regardless of how it is coded in law, one doesn't seem to have anything to do with the other.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    When I renewed my DL, I asked if they would have a record of the DD-214 for the LTC. I received a very curt, "no". So, regardless of how it is coded in law, one doesn't seem to have anything to do with the other.
    When it comes to government bureaucracy it doesn't surprise me that the left foot doesn't know what the right foot is doing.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    When it comes to government bureaucracy it doesn't surprise me that the left foot doesn't know what the right foot is doing.
    Exactly. When I went to get my DL renewed, why couldn't the DPS plug in to the data base that the department of vital statistics has and verify my citizenship, rather than me having to drive to Austin and wait for two hours to get a copy to take back to DPS.

Last edited:

jdh47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Tennessee Colony, Texas
    I was in Atwoods in Tyler the other day talking with the counter salesman at the firearms section. He informed me that the LTC holders have to be submitted through the usual background checks now when purchasing a firearm and the old CHL holders do not.
    Way back when I got my license it was a CHL. When I moved I had to change the address and I didn't notice they changed it to a LTC. Crap...
    What's up with this? I've never heard of this mess before.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I was in Atwoods in Tyler the other day talking with the counter salesman at the firearms section. He informed me that the LTC holders have to be submitted through the usual background checks now when purchasing a firearm and the old CHL holders do not.
    Way back when I got my license it was a CHL. When I moved I had to change the address and I didn't notice they changed it to a LTC. Crap...
    What's up with this? I've never heard of this mess before.

He is a liar. Go shop somewhere else.

jdh47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Tennessee Colony, Texas
    Geez I hope it ain't so. It seems downright stupid but that's why it could be plausible. I told him it went against the first provisions of the CHL. He said it had something to do with the new legislation for open carry.

One thing I've come to expect about the government is you never get something for nothing.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I renewed my CHL August of last year. Received the new LTC. Purchased a 5.56 pistol May of this year. There was no background check that I was aware of. Filled out the 4473, paid my money and took the pistol home.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Sounds like a counter guy trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about. Perhaps he used to work at Academy or something.

The counter guy at my local Atwoods is a pretty nice guy. He actually had some pretty good insight on my last purchase there since he already owned the same weapon and could answer all my questions better than someone that doesn't.

Like everyone else, my CHL was changed to an LTC when the renewal came after the law change. For my purchase, I just had to fill out the form, just like I did with the CHL, then they had to double check it and make sure there were no mistakes on it. Nothing different than I've experienced anywhere else really.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Geez I hope it ain't so. It seems downright stupid but that's why it could be plausible. I told him it went against the first provisions of the CHL. He said it had something to do with the new legislation for open carry.

One thing I've come to expect about the government is you never get something for nothing.

He has no idea of what he's talking about. There is no difference between using a LTC or a CHL when making a firearm purchase in Texas.

Top Bottom