• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Well this was exciting. Spring broke and the door crashed down right after I walked under it.

I checked with a BBB Garage door repair company and they quoted $350. I then looked at Home Depot / Lowes for a spring since they are the only hardware joints close by in useless Frisco. No joy. Called Elliotts in Plano they no got either.

I know I will die if I try it myslef but I simply dont have the money right now and need options.

Where would I find parts or garage door springs at near here?

Anyne have a BBB accredited company that has a better price? Last time I paid to have this done it was $150.
    ARJ Defense ad

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Don't friggin do this one yourself. I am at work right now, but I will PM you a guy that I use. He is much cheaper than the other places I have used in the past. People die from this stupid little spring.

I had this done a few months ago. Aligned the door, replaced a couple rollers and the spring, less than $200.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Definitley follow Deemus's advice. Is your life worth $200? Also, get them to install dual springs. They will last 10x as long, and if one does break, you'll still be able to open and close the door.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    It's hard to get the right tools to tension the springs. Even then there is a certain way to hold the rods safely and get the tension right.

They make it that way so folks don't whack themselves in the head when a spring gets loose.

I'm with the others. Buy the right spring from Lowes or HD and then hire someone who's done it before. That's what I did.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    My guy charged $100 including the spring, but also had reasonable prices no higher than $150 including parts. The guy for $100 got the job because of scheduling and he was recommended by a neighbor who works for Amarr

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Is your door extra heavy, wide or high?

Nope. Plain vanilla 16x7 metal door.

Found a guy/business that has been used by many here in the area by going to FOL (Frisco Online) and seeing who the soccer mommies have been calling. Nice guy and at a fair price of $200.

After he repairs the door tomorrow I will post back his information.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    I must be the really dumb one here.
    I installed my overhead doors on my barn, one 10x10 and the other was 12x14. The springs are something to be cautious of but not really scared of, they aren't that hard to do with the right tools. Really just a couple of 1/2" rods, a few wrenches, and a lot of respect for what you are doing.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I'm with jocat54. I accidentally let my spring tension out by using the wrong tools. I bought a 3 ft steel bar and cut it in half with a sawsall. 7 1/2 turns in 1/4 turn increments and it is perfect. I adjusted the slack in one of the pulleys to keep the cable from slipping off. Look it up on YouTube. You might be able to do it yourself. I'll be at TI in Dallas and Richardson tomorrow if you want to use my bars.

A professiona can do a better job and will have better sources for parts. It all boils down to your budget, patience, and ability. Good luck.

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Tommy Burt
    North Dallas Doors

214-502-6646

northdallasdoors@hotmail.com

Very professional, punctual and precise. Evaluated what was broken and replaced everything in record time. Balanced the door and adjusted the settings which was included in the price.

Family man that rides.

Top Bottom