• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Ew, digital is gross. It's a bunch of competing specifications that are mostly proprietary (arguably illegal because of that) and don't interoperate well or at all. Also, people keep using a radio link to some local mmdvm-like gateway for the first ten feet, and route the rest of the internet. Which is exactly what you don't want to use for something you're going to rely on in an emergency.
    Yeah, I also think the internet features on them are stupid. For simplex or even local repeater use, digital is freaking awesome. It significantly increases the range you can have an intelligible conversation at.

I do find the multiple standards annoying, but just get whatever your friends are using. The radio will still do analog for everyone else. I picked up the Yaesu because Rockdale got a Fusion repeater... If people in your area use a different standard get that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Guns International

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Took and pased my Technician test today... Didn't realize that I could take more than one test same day, so I hadn't studied for the General, but tried it anyway... Failed 2 short of passing, 24/35. Next month!
    Hah that's what I got two. Missed two on general.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Hah that's what I got two. Missed two on general.
    Back years ago when I had my Technician license, I wanted to upgrade to General, but back then, there was a 5 WPM morse code test.
    I tried for a long time to be able to copy morse code, but I've got some kind of mental block that prevented me from being able to do it.
    I tried twice to upgrade and passed the Q&A test both times, but failed the code portion of the test.
    Finally around 20 years ago, they dropped the requirement and I was able to upgrade to General.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I never had the interest in learning morse code. If the requirement had remained I would not have an Extra license today.
    Josh on the Ham Radio Crash Course youtube channel has done several videos recently on his increasing interest in Morse due to the light weight of CW radios and range of transmission...

Interesting, but though I can learn it, I can't seem to retain it...

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I just do Morse for fun now. I joined the Straight Key Century Club (SKCC) just because, but they have short events every month that are not contests, just exchanging numbers. They will slow down the speed for you. I like to do portable QRP with a battery and throwing an EFHW in to a tree.

ETA: When maritime dropped the code requirement, so did amateur radio. Back in the day, the only license you could get without the code was Technician, but you were restricted to 50 meters and above. The code was a bar to many joining, so I think deleting the requirement was a good thing. Doesn't mean you can't have fun with it tho.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Josh on the Ham Radio Crash Course youtube channel has done several videos recently on his increasing interest in Morse due to the light weight of CW radios and range of transmission...

Interesting, but though I can learn it, I can't seem to retain it...
    At my age, I'm not motivated to spend the effort on morse code

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    **OPSEC WARNING**

You can look up full name, address etc from your FCC callsign.

I may be paranoid, but I keep my callsign on the down-low with firearms related stuff.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    Too late...

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    **OPSEC WARNING**

I may be paranoid, but I keep my callsign on the down-low with firearms related stuff.

It has been a common practice for decades for hams to exchange qso cards to confirm a contact. Thes include name, address, grid coordinates, call sign, frequency, time, date and signal report.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    It has been a common practice for decades for hams to exchange qso cards to confirm a contact. Thes include name, address, grid coordinates, call sign, frequency, time, date and signal report.
    Oh, I know. But with a QSO card, no one has can easily link it to guns... like I said, I'm probably just paranoid, but I dont want my address tied with "owns guns" not because of the feds (I'm sure I am on a few watclists), bit because of crime.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    **OPSEC WARNING**

In order to communicate over the amateur bands, the operator must use call signs.
    Call signs are required to confirm a QSO.
    Frequently auto tags are used which display the owners call sign.

Top Bottom