• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    SDR should probably have its own thread. I'm happy to start one, but other than some links, I don't have much to contribute as its an area I know very little about. Hopefully, there are some SDR people on the forum that can help out.
    The SDR dongles are a good way to start by listening in. Very inexpensive and super small.
    BTW, The cheap little Baofeng HT's that lot of hams start out on (I've got 3 in my radio collection and they are great) are actually SDR technically.
    Gun Zone Deals

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I've got one of the little RTL-SDR sticks, and either I got a dud or they have like NO receive sensitivity. I keep eyeballing a HackRF One.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've got one of the little RTL-SDR sticks, and either I got a dud or they have like NO receive sensitivity. I keep eyeballing a HackRF One.
    The RTL-SDR sticks don't have the sensitivity or selectivity of a decent radio, but they are fun.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Saw my first ever ham radio ad while watching the Blue Origin launch livestream (it was for an MFJ box). Then I saw an ad for Gigabits Ham Radio Store. I thought I had heard of all of them but never heard of these guys. Any feedback?

I like to do business with local Mom & Pop's: Main Trading Company in Paris, TX is my go-to store, but I'll use HRO in a pinch.

Edited: Oops! I meant GigaParts.

Last edited:

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Saw my first ever ham radio ad while watching the Blue Origin launch livestream (it was for an MFJ box). Then I saw an ad for Gigabits Ham Radio Store. I thought I had heard of all of them but never heard of these guys. Any feedback?

I like to do business with local Mom & Pop's: Main Trading Company in Paris, TX is my go-to store, but I'll use HRO in a pinch.
    I've bought stuff from Main Trading, quite a bit from HRO, and a couple of things from Gigaparts, but not a Gigabits.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Inauguration and protest hams are being put on notice:
    What I read was directed towards FRS, CB and GRMS users
    Screenshot_20210118-065646_Chrome.jpg

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I would be really interested in hearing about the rigs you guys have, including base, mobile and handheld.

I’m studying for the Technician exam and I’m starting to look at equipment. There is a dizzying array of choices that makes my head want to explode.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    No, they specifically mentioned both services. While I would like to think that a Ham would not violate regulations, there's always that 1%. And the proliferation of cheap chinese radios has made it easy for non-hams to use those radios illegally.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I would be really interested in hearing about the rigs you guys have, including base, mobile and handheld.

I’m studying for the Technician exam and I’m starting to look at equipment. There is a dizzying array of choices that makes my head want to explode.
    As a Technician class license, you have full privileges above 50 MHz (6M), and some limited privileges on HF, mainly 10M unless you want to do CW. I recommend starting with a dual band FM transciever (2M, 440). There are some good models relatively inexpensive, and these can be used as a base station or mobile. Put up a verticla dual band antenna and you're on your way. This will give you access to repeaters to meet other Hams, and get involved in emergency support, weather spotting, etc.

If you have the bucks, and want to branch out, check out the Icom 705.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    The IC-705 looks like a very attractive option, as it seems to provide a lot of flexibility.

But, besides being fairly expensive, it seems to be more of a QRP radio as it only provides a max 10 watts of power. In my location, I may need more power to reach out.

I’m way too early in the learning process to make any final selections at this point. But the Icom IC-7100 is on my list to study more. The display isn’t nearly the eye candy of the 705 or the 7300, but I think the unit might make sense as a moderately priced rig that can be a base station or a mobile station.

Last edited:

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    oohrah, I forgot to say thanks for the advice, which I believe to be good advice. My plan at the moment is to start with something that will handle the 2m and 70cm bands, and if it has some HF capability (for the future) that would be a plus but not a necessity.

Last edited:

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    All this chatter has given me the bug to finally put a rig in my truck. Now to figure out how I'm going to install the main body of the radio.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom