• ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    So even without a license I can own and listen on radio capable of transmitting? Out of curiosity, How would they know if I've been transmitting?
    When participating in ham nets, an operator is identified by his callsign. The callsign will identify the name, location and class of license of the operator. It is not uncommon to hear an operator log into a net and be politely told his license doesn't have privilege to use that band.
    Gun Zone Deals

lordmorgul

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2020
    Parker Co
    When participating in ham nets, an operator is identified by his callsign. The callsign will identify the name, location and class of license of the operator. It is not uncommon to hear an operator log into a net and be politely told his license doesn't have privilege to use that band.

Note that callsign does not indicate location of operator only location operator was at first licensing that clad and only if automatically issued callsign. They do not restrict the selection of vanity callsigns outside your area and do not mandate changing when you move.

Didn’t see quite how old this thread was just recent posts. To contribute to the topic as well:
    There are programs for your computer that can make listening to your own cheap RTL-SDR radio receiver easy. One is called “ham2mon”, which I have been contributing code development to. If your own a $25 RTL-SDR connected to your computer by USB with a little wire dipole or rabbit ears antenna then you can listen to many frequencies cheaply just like websdr provides. I use this program to monitor and record the ham 2m and 70cm bands nearby my home and save traffic for other review so I have an idea how much and which frequencies are in use when I’m not there at work all day.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom