• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Didn't know that, if I ever do this I'll definitely go for all three. I have been playing with the practice tests, and I'm surprised how much I was getting right. I need to learn the rules and regs better, but the tech I nailed.
    Military Camp

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Fwiw, it depends on WHO is giving the tests & WHERE. = I paid 6.oo total when I took my test. SOME places do not charge any fee.

yours, satx

POLICESTATE

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 12, 2016
    Wylie, TEXAS
    I think you will probably do well given your background, if you are technically inclined. Just remember that if you get a question that you are a little stumped on to eliminate the options you know are wrong.

It's great to see more folks getting interesting in amateur radio. Also if you are on Facebook there is a group for Ham Radio & Gun enthusiasts "Guns and Ham / Amateur Radio" so once you get your call sign go check that out, it's a closed group.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Antenna. Probably the hardest thing to nail down is your choice of and what antenna is available to you. Cost, mast, tower, yagi, wire etc. I used two trees and a G5RV for a couple years, till Harvey winds tore up one tree. Now I have a 35 ft mast and a inverted V G5RV.
    lot size, any HOA issues, trees, etc all factor in.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I passed :banana:
    ...now what?
    Congrats !!! Almost everyone I know for their first rig got an HT or a 2-meter mobile rig.
    If you've got repeaters pretty close, a HT would work. You can get them for around $30 on Amazon for a Baofeng UV5R. I've got a couple of those, and they work fairly well.
    I would join a local ham club and see what radio that others have and what works good for you.

An HF rig is an investment, since they are brand new, start around $750.

Antennas - for 2 meters: making a J-pole would be a great project, or you can buy one. For HF, if you've got the room, G5RV performs pretty good.

tangoparson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2017
    Congratulations too.

I’ll second what gates said except I would say get a dual band 2 meter/440 mhz. Not much more money but a lot of versatility.

Find out if you like the hobby and what aspect of it you want to pursue before you plunk a ton of cash into an hf rig or a monster antenna like a G5. Besides, if you only took the technician you couldn’t use an hf rig yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Congrats Dan, that was a fun session. Now that you are in the cult we have a small radio club in Rockdale. Milam County Amateur Radio club. The guy to my left in the test session is the president. Meeting are at Bandas Mexican in Rockdale on the second Tuesday. We usually meet at 6:15 and eat first. The Williamson County club is much larger and meets the first Thursday at 7 in the Jester county annex on Old Settlers Blvd. Lots of good people.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I'm going to try to take the exam the second week of April. My Masters degree class isn't as loaded down as it was last week and won't be for the foreseeable future. I've taken a crap ton of notes from the book and have nearly finished reading it to the glossary. I plan to read it one more time without taking notes to make sure I got everything down that was new to me. I don't want to be "that guy" that fails the exam, I've only ever failed 4 exams in my adult life. I teach for a living and take exams regularly, its an art, taking exams.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Mark your calendar. The Belton Hamfest is April 5-6. The actual Hamfest is Sat starting at 7AM IIRC. By noon you will be about the only one there, door prize drawing at 11 and gone. It is one of the best in Texas.

Here is a link to the flyer. https://www.tarc.org/hamexpo

I get there on Thurs and camp out in the parking lot (Cyclone Toy Hauler, hard to miss). The 7245/7195/wherever group has a cooker that arrives on Thurs, rules are: You bring it we will burn it, err cook it. All kinds of different stuff is available, donation jar to cover costs. Just show up and have fun. VE testing is available. Lots of socializing and fun. Main cooking event is Fri nite and breakfast burritos Sat. Stop by and say Howdy, might be able to find a cold one, GRIN. :rolleyes:

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Brandon, sounds like you are ready for the exam at Belton, or at the very least, wander the show. The exam session starts at 10 and walk ins are OK if you want to cram a couple hours first. Will be most likely meeting some folks for breakfast at 7 if you are interested, details later.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Where do you find the most traffic these days? 20 years ago 2m and to a lesser extent 70cm were hopping, but listening now there's no conversations to be had. The only voice I've heard has been on 162.400 Mhz :)

Has everyone gone digital?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mark your calendar. The Belton Hamfest is April 5-6. The actual Hamfest is Sat starting at 7AM IIRC. By noon you will be about the only one there, door prize drawing at 11 and gone. It is one of the best in Texas.

Here is a link to the flyer. https://www.tarc.org/hamexpo

I get there on Thurs and camp out in the parking lot (Cyclone Toy Hauler, hard to miss). The 7245/7195/wherever group has a cooker that arrives on Thurs, rules are: You bring it we will burn it, err cook it. All kinds of different stuff is available, donation jar to cover costs. Just show up and have fun. VE testing is available. Lots of socializing and fun. Main cooking event is Fri nite and breakfast burritos Sat. Stop by and say Howdy, might be able to find a cold one, GRIN. :rolleyes:

avvidclif,

I've always wanted to ask someone & you're "elected": WHY the H do ham-fest committees insist on starting ham-fests so darned early in the AM??
    (I go to bed about 0300 & usually sleep till 1000.)

yours, satx

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Where do you find the most traffic these days? 20 years ago 2m and to a lesser extent 70cm were hopping, but listening now there's no conversations to be had. The only voice I've heard has been on 162.400 Mhz :)

I think everyone has found out about the internet ;)

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Brains,

In The Alamo City 2M & 440 machines are still quite active, though 222MHZ machines are almost a "private club" & quiet enough that I keep my old Icom IC-38 rig turned-on in my BR, without upsetting "she who must be obeyed."
    (My friends know that & contact me there about storm rescue & recovery subjects on the 224.300 machine.)

yours, satx

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    Where do you find the most traffic these days?

I'd find out when your local net are. Our repeaters here can be pretty quiet most of the day, but I'll occasionally catch a ragchew. This all reminds me that I need a new rig for the mobile. My crappy HT doesn't really cut it.

Top Bottom