• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Clown-testing usually makes the band inoperable for other communications.
    Agreed... I was really just pointing out that 10m is open.

I have no interest in contesting, or even making contacts except to know I can.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The NCTC system is huge..
    2m/75cm

North Central Texas Connect

From Abilene up thru Oklahoma. Plano and down to Stephenville
    Plus they usually have a Echolink connection up

Anyway...I just thought it would be a good question to ask

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    2m/75cm

As an Extra Class Ham I have 4 HF and 3 VHF radios, none DMR. I'm not interested in adding another radio as I presently cover 50 states, Canada and Central America

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    2m/75cm

I can barely hit my nearest 2m repeater, but it's rare anybody can understand me , though they come through OK. Gonna try building a yagi...

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    As an Extra Class Ham I have 4 HF and 3 VHF radios, none DMR. I'm not interested in adding another radio as I presently cover 50 states, Canada and Central America
    I understand that.

You can download the Echolink app to get access to digital for free but I understand if you are not interested

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I can barely hit my nearest 2m repeater, but it's rare anybody can understand me , though they come through OK. Gonna try building a yagi...
    I can hit the Albany NCTC repeater good from my ranch cabin at 47 miles away but I cant hit the same repeater from 35 miles away at my home because of terrain.
    When Im home I connect using Echolink

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I can hit the Albany NCTC repeater good from my ranch cabin at 47 miles away but I cant hit the same repeater from 35 miles away at my home because of terrain.
    When Im home I connect using Echolink
    I'm surrounded by hills... That I can hit that repeater at 32miles surprises me as it is 600 ft lower than me, plus the hills inbetween. I don't seem to be able to hit any others at similar distance (or a few miles more) in any direction.

I got into radio for SHTF and don't really want to get into anything that requires internet.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I'm surrounded by hills... That I can hit that repeater at 32miles surprises me as it is 600 ft lower than me, plus the hills inbetween. I don't seem to be able to hit any others at similar distance (or a few miles more) in any direction.

I got into radio for SHTF and don't really want to get into anything that requires internet.
    Have you effectively communicated with another radio at that distance or keyed the repeater? I frequently hear someone key a repeater but they are not able to send or receive information.

Last edited:

sce.mag_tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2022
    Magnolia, TX

Personally I'm not a fan of products made in certain countries and I'll probably get flamed for this comment.

But for the average individual you cannot beat the Baofeng UV-5R paired with a high-gain whip antenna.

Easy to learn enough on how to use in an emergency situation.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

Personally I'm not a fan of products made in certain countries and I'll probably get flamed for this comment.

But for the average individual you cannot beat the Baofeng UV-5R paired with a high-gain whip antenna.

Easy to learn enough on how to use in an emergency situation.
    You get what you pay for, in a radio or a gun. I have different expectations of my Baofeng and Yaesu radios. Likewise I don't expect my Rock Island to be equal to my Ed Brown. The best use of any radio will be realized by training and obtaining a license before an emergency situation happens.

tangoparson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2017
    How many of us HAM operators would like to try a 1st ever TGT Net?
    It would have to be DMR or something like that. Maybe Echolink, or even the Texas Nexus room

I think it would be cool to try

I could be onboard with a tgt net. Someone set a sked.

I have dmr but it is not hooked up. Didn’t like it. Wires-X is possible for me. I’m not sure if the texas nexus on that is the same place as dmr but might be.

The NCTC is probably the best to give everyone availability. I am pretty sure i can hit one of those, at least from my driveway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Have you effectively communicated with another radio at that distance or keyed the repeater? I frequently hear someone key a repeater but they are not able to send or receive information.
    Yes, I have made contact through that repeater with good Rx/Tx, but Tx is less reliable and may be dependent on reflection. In fact, it may be completely dependent on reflection as I certainly don't have line of sight to that repeater. It is at about 900 ft while I am at 1550ft, so it is downhill through the hills from me.

Good contacts have been made at 50watts with my Yaesu FT-991a on a j-pole, but my little 25watt radio on the same antenna receives just as well, can key the repeater, but does not Tx successfully.

Top Bottom