• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I watched it when it was released... Unfortunately, I won't be able to apply much of it if need be. I have the transceiver, but not the mobility...
    Military Camp

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    If anyone wants to talk tonight on Echolink let me know.
    We can all meet there from anywhere and have a check in sometime
    I don't think Echolink is what S2-Underground had in mind for SHTF communication.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I don't think Echolink is what S2-Underground had in mind for SHTF communication.
    Did I say that anywhere?
    Let me go back now and delete that comment since it had no place in this thread apparently

The last I checked this was a general discussion on HAM radio.
    But maybe I should start a new thread on Echolink communications
    On on second thought I won't.

Someone will probably have a problem with it.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The problem with Echolink is needing to verify yourself to a central server, but something similar could definitely still be useful in SHTF. The global internet could be down, but local and campus/base area infrastructure could still be operating. You can use cheap low power handhelds to talk to hotspots, and have local network to distribute to a repeater that might not otherwise be able to hit. Also could be used for cross banding.

I think everyone should listen to the last three minutes of that S2-Underground video even if you don't want to listen to the whole thing. Get the creative juices flowing on what could be technically feasible and forming operational plans on maintaining communications.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    The problem with Echolink is needing to verify yourself to a central server, but something similar could definitely still be useful in SHTF. The global internet could be down, but local and campus/base area infrastructure could still be operating. You can use cheap low power handhelds to talk to hotspots, and have local network to distribute to a repeater that might not otherwise be able to hit. Also could be used for cross banding.

I think everyone should listen to the last three minutes of that S2-Underground video even if you don't want to listen to the whole thing. Get the creative juices flowing on what could be technically feasible and forming operational plans on maintaining communications.
    S2 Underground has some great insight.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

zen314

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2022
    Georgia
    Different people get into amateur radio for different reasons. I became a HAM in order to be able to communicate in the event of an emergency. In several survival situations that I can dream up (EMPs for example), communication will be key.

Anyone care to share specific thoughts regarding amateur radios as a prepping tool? Handhelds / mobile / base station? Storage methods / locations for the radios? Network of people (number, proximity) in your preparedness plan?

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Different people get into amateur radio for different reasons. I became a HAM in order to be able to communicate in the event of an emergency. In several survival situations that I can dream up (EMPs for example), communication will be key.

Anyone care to share specific thoughts regarding amateur radios as a prepping tool? Handhelds / mobile / base station? Storage methods / locations for the radios? Network of people (number, proximity) in your preparedness plan?
    What license do you hold? What are your needs and expectations? power sources? needs for mobility? budget?
    What situations do you expect to operate in? What duration? The ability to communicate is essential but requires a plan to be effective.

zen314

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2022
    Georgia
    What license do you hold? What are your needs and expectations? power sources? needs for mobility? budget?
    What situations do you expect to operate in? What duration? The ability to communicate is essential but requires a plan to be effective.
    I am a General class. I would like to be able to communicate with a small group of friends/family in order to share scarce resources in the event of an emergency. I have a 110W mobile unit in my truck as well as handhelds.

I have some scenarios in mind, but it is very difficult to anticipate every possible scenario. I was moreso asking this question to get a feel for situations that others anticipate, and to get some more generalized principles.

I am watching that video (about halfway through it), but it is very good so far.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

If your main concern is an EMP, hopefully you have at least one radio in a faraday cage for that purpose, especially since anything with an antenna will be fried.

zen314

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2022
    Georgia
    Yes, I haven't done it yet, but was thinking of modifying an ammo can with copper mesh around the lid or something similar to serve as a faraday cage. Now, for how to keep a battery charged - since everything connected to the power grid will likely be fried as well in an EMP event.

I don't really have a "main concern" - just various different concerns with associated probabilities of occurrence.

zen314

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2022
    Georgia
    I also have an S-280 milsurp shelter that was originally a missile command center and has the mesh around the door & openings in order to be EMP-proof.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I am a General class. I would like to be able to communicate with a small group of friends/family in order to share scarce resources in the event of an emergency. I have a 110W mobile unit in my truck as well as handhelds.

I have some scenarios in mind, but it is very difficult to anticipate every possible scenario. I was moreso asking this question to get a feel for situations that others anticipate, and to get some more generalized principles.

I am watching that video (about halfway through it), but it is very good so far.
    The limitations of size, weight and power source are challenges for emergency communications. The equipment used for QRP communications is small, light weight and effective within it's limitations.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    How many of us HAM operators would like to try a 1st ever TGT Net?
    It would have to be DMR or something like that. Maybe Echolink, or even the Texas Nexus room

I think it would be cool to try

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    How many of us HAM operators would like to try a 1st ever TGT Net?
    It would have to be DMR or something like that. Maybe Echolink, or even the Texas Nexus room

I think it would be cool to try

I would give it a try although I don’t have any DMR radios.

I’d suggest HF, but my HF antenna is needing to be replaced and I am not sure how many are general or above.

Might be useful to see where most who would participate are located, There may be a suitable repeater to work with.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I would give it a try although I don’t have any DMR radios.

I’d suggest HF, but my HF antenna is needing to be replaced and I am not sure how many are general or above.

Might be useful to see where most who would participate are located, There may be a suitable repeater to work with.
    Most Hams will have HF, many don't have DMR.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    10m is pretty open right now... Would 10m simplex be worth trying?

There is a 10m repeater at Round Rock, but I get nothing back from it when I key it...

Screenshot_20221211-105151.jpg

Or some other HF band, maybe 40m, though as a technician I could only confirm contact here.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    10m is pretty open right now... Would 10m simplex be worth trying?

There is a 10m repeater at Round Rock, but I get nothing back from it when I key it...

View attachment 360693

Or some other HF band, maybe 40m, though as a technician I could only confirm contact here.
    Of the several hundred contacts I've made on HF this year, none has been on 10 or 160. The 20, 40, 80 bands would get more participation.

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Of the several hundred contacts I've made on HF this year, none has been on 10 or 160. The 20, 40, 80 bands would get more participation.
    10m is pretty active daytime. Even contesting this weekend. I made a contact in Japan a few weeks ago. 40m always seems active.

Top Bottom