Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Why do you pay a VEC????
    From ARRL's website...

"VECs are allowed to collect an examination reimbursement fee from each
    candidate who takes one or more exam elements. These exam fees help
    the VEC recover its costs of providing its services. Per FCC Rule §97.527,
    VECs and VEs may be reimbursed by examinees for out-of-pocket expenses
    incurred in preparing, processing, administering or coordinating an examination
    for an amateur operator license. "

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    From ARRL's website...

"VECs are allowed to collect an examination reimbursement fee from each
    candidate who takes one or more exam elements. These exam fees help
    the VEC recover its costs of providing its services. Per FCC Rule §97.527,
    VECs and VEs may be reimbursed by examinees for out-of-pocket expenses
    incurred in preparing, processing, administering or coordinating an examination
    for an amateur operator license. "

That's for taking a test. Not renewing!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    That's for taking a test. Not renewing!

avvidclif,

Our VEC charges 6 bucks to renew your ham license. - I paid HAPPILY to avoid the "paper or PC hassle" that renewing usually is.

My license was renewed in about 5 minutes.

yours, satx

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    avvidclif,

Our VEC charges 6 bucks to renew your ham license. - I paid HAPPILY to avoid the "paper or PC hassle" that renewing usually is.

My license was renewed in about 5 minutes.

yours, satx

Yes but one is now going to have to add the $35 for a renewal. Not that $35 every 10 years is going to hurt most hams I am afraid it will discourage new operators.

superchief

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    Southwest Cow Town
    I know a lot of HAMs here in Fort Worth, but I never could get into it. I did enjoy the HamFests each year. Unfortunately COVID ate it for 2021. All the HAM folks I know were serious about their hobby and always help at different community events like marathons, festivals, and storm watching, so glad y'all are out there.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    And just a reminder to all us Hams that your callsign and all the personal info associated with it is in the public domain.

I am not opposed to the Govt collecting fees for optional citizen services, but those fees should reflect the actual costs. The FCC's fees are exorbitant IMO, for what is a essentially a computer transaction, with little human intervention. The FAA is much more reasonable, e.g., I can update my aircraft registration for $5.

9mmdave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    David, KI5GHO here.

Got licensed September '19 and upgraded to General back in June. Spent more money on Ham stuff this year than I did on gun stuff but enjoy both hobbies. I'm in the Houston area and get on HF and VHF at least once a week.

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    David, KI5GHO here.
    Spent more money on Ham stuff this year than I did on gun stuff but enjoy both hobbies...

I inherited so much stuff from my dad when he went SK just over a year ago. Hauled 3 pickup loads of ham gear home. Have pared things down to a good sized personal station but there is always still more to buy. A guy can spend a LOT on both hobbies!

MarkTheNewf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Not
    I think this will be something I do this year. I put up a 30 ft tower for my tv (haven't had cable for about 15 years) and it's just screams for me to put a J-pole up there.
    IMG_20200627_174001620_HDR.jpg

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

What I really WANT is a "dedicated" 50W mobile rig for "after the storm R&R" for 60M BUT nobody that I can find actually makes one.
    ("A little bird" told me that we hams are going to get 25-50 MORE USB channels on 60m , AS THE COMMERCIAL MARINE folks that were once on HF Marine Radiotelephone are GONE forever.)

73 de satx

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    To All,

What I really WANT is a "dedicated" 50W mobile rig for "after the storm R&R" for 60M BUT nobody that I can find actually makes one.
    ("A little bird" told me that we hams are going to get 25-50 MORE USB channels on 60m , AS THE COMMERCIAL MARINE folks that were once on HF Marine Radiotelephone are GONE forever.)

73 de satx
    There's a handful of 0.5-30 MHz 5W transceivers available. Could get one of those and add an amp. You can run 100W on 60m, btw... There's some older radios out there as well, like the Motorola Micom line.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    There's a handful of 0.5-30 MHz 5W transceivers available. Could get one of those and add an amp. You can run 100W on 60m, btw... There's some older radios out there as well, like the Motorola Micom line.

TheDan,

My ARRL book (which is 4-5 years OLD) says 50W ERP max output on 60M.
    (OFTEN 10W is plenty for "regional" groundwave USB transmissions with a Inverted-V dipole.)

addenda: I'm "SAVING MY NICKELS & DIMES" for a homebrew INVERTED-V with 100 PLUS feet of coax.
    (The CENTER POLE will be made of rigid poly-pipe, in 10 six-foot sections, so it will fit "neatly strapped together" on the luggage rack on top of my old/tired/ugly SUV.).

ONLY "CHANNELIZED" USB voice/data, at least as far as I know, is authorized on 60M. = Will a Motorola Micom do USB??

73 de satx

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    TheDan,

My ARRL book (which is 4-5 years OLD) says 50W ERP max output on 60M.
    (OFTEN 10W is plenty for groundwave USB transmissions with a Inverted-V dipole.)
    It went up to 100w in 2012. If you're good with 20w, this one ought to do. https://amzn.to/2KJ0oo7

Will a Motorola Micom do USB??
    USB and LSB, although there are several versions of it so make sure you can select USB on whichever one you're looking at.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    It went up to 100w in 2012. If you're good with 20w, this one ought to do. https://amzn.to/2KJ0oo7

USB and LSB, although there are several versions of it so make sure you can select USB on whichever one you're looking at.

TheDan,

WOW. - I HAVE TO GO FIND ONE OF THOSE rigs soon, as I'm studying for my GENERAL, as right now I don't have MANY CRITICAL FAMILY ISSUES to deal with..
    (FINALLY!!!)

As old as MICOM radios are, they should be CHEAP.

addenda: a used radio outfit in BELGIUM says that they have 40w "new old stock" mobiles for ABOUT 250 USD, including s&h.
    AND
    a US supplier says that he has "factory refurbished" 125w "portables" for 499.oo.

73 de satx

Last edited:

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    Adding to the convo here, this is a pretty good option paired with a good antenna (like a Diamond) and power supply. A tunable Inverted V strung up on HF 10m can get some high mileage for Base Stations.

Mobile or Base station 50w and quad-band radio:

TYT9800

Can be had for less on Fleabay.

Top Bottom