• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To ALL,

D0 ANY OF OUR MEMBERS have a "PROGRAMMER" for MIDLAND LMR VHF radios??
    (I have a MIDLAND Model 70-13428 that I need to have programmed for 2M FM, to use as my REMOTE BASE radio.)

73 de satx
    San Antonio, 78208
    Military Camp

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    TO ALL,

IS ANYONE other than me interested in a DEDICATED 10 METER FM rig that covers ALL of the 10M REPEATERS & 4-5 SIMPLEX FREQUENCIES, in a "box" that is small/tough enough to be installed in a car/PU??

I "have a line on" a "good sized pile" (from an out-of-state ISD) of MIDLAND LOW-BAND/LOW-SPLIT Land Mobile Radios, that are "field programmable" & for about 25.oo each plus S&H.
    (I'm GUESSING that including S&H plus paying to have the radios programmed, that the "out of pocket" cost per unit would NOT exceed 50.oo each.)

FWIW, in my experience the "old-school" COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL radios are MUCH TOUGHER/LONGER LIVED than "conventional ham gear".

73 de satx
    San Antonio 78208

That would be a heck of a buy. I already have that covered in my FT100D and am not a huge 10 M guy. I bet there are plenty others that would love to be in on this deal. Are you sure you don't mean 2m? There are lots of commercial units that are converted for 2m use. I had a Motorola Spectra for 2m in my last truck, 110W, 116 channels and into it less than $200.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    That would be a heck of a buy. I already have that covered in my FT100D and am not a huge 10 M guy. I bet there are plenty others that would love to be in on this deal. Are you sure you don't mean 2m? There are lots of commercial units that are converted for 2m use. I had a Motorola Spectra for 2m in my last truck, 110W, 116 channels and into it less than $200.

medicmike,

YEP. = I'm SURE that I mean 10M FM. =====> SEE my POST #62 for more on WHY I've gotten SO interested in 10M FM & 60m USB, for "after the storm R&R".

FWIW, my FIRST "ham radio" that was converted for me by my ELMER was an "old school" MOTOROLA with 20 channel pairs/"machines".

I was licensed during DESERT SHIELD 1 & AF3D, who is now a silent key, "presented me" the old Motorola as a gift for getting my TECH. = Until my old F250 finally rusted out, when I was stationed at FT DRUM, that was my ONLY mobile 2M rig.
    Fwiw, I finally "bit the bullet" & bought an ICOM 2M for the "new truck".
    (BTW, the MIDLAND 70-1328, that needs to be re-programed for 2M, was given to me by my "Little brother", after Fairfax County, VA was going to "toss it out".)

yours, satx

Last edited:

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I'm looking at setting up my Kenwood TS590S here at the house. I don't have much room for a vertical or a long wire antenna. Im thinking an end fed half wave might work for 10 - 40 meters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Try looking for a vertical that doesn't need radials.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TO "medicmike" & ALL,

My friends on TGT know that I'm a "after the storm" volunteer & for a LONG time.

I have been remiss in NOT even mentioning my FAVORITE HEROINE of the last major hurricane that "our radio team" worked.
    (ImVho, HEROES & HEROINES are NOT braver than the rest of us "ordinary folk". - Instead they are mostly RATHER ORDINARY & even QUITE UNLIKELY citizens, who despite their fears, swallow their well-founded fears & "STEP FORWARD", when circumstances DEMAND their actions.)

ONE such "completely unlikely heroine" was "BABY SUSIE", who was "volunteered" by her grandfather (Oscar E_________ is gone now but then was a well-known AE & "was said to have the BEST FIST on a 'bug', W/I 200 miles."), as by then his hands were severely crippled by arthritis.
    When we asked for his help, he said, "My hands are no damned good anymore." (PAUSE) "Who you need is my granddaughter. Susie has a BETTER FIST than I ever had & she speaks CW, without thinking."

The "team captain" said, "GREAT. WHERE is she?"
    Oscar said, "My wife is babysitting her, so they are likely at the church-house right now.".
    The "TC" said, "Babysitting her?? - How old is your granddaughter?"
    "She'll be 10 next December.", said Oscar. "Susie is young BUT she is who you really need. Her CW is FAST & ACCURATE. She sounds like a machine sending."
    (With NO sign of false pride/modesty, Oscar simply said, "I TRAINED HER." - Oscar was a HQUSASC telegrapher during WW2.)

NOTE: Several times during that "more than 'a bit strange' week", "EXPERIENCED CW operators" sent a message to Susie, saying: PLEASE SEND SLOWER.

From that morning until the R&R effort ended, "Baby Susie" was "on the bug" more than she was NOT. - Like most of us operators, she slept little & existed on milk, coffee, beans & rice, cornbread, Cokes, sandwiches, cookies & do-nuts.
    (BTW, the old-time Hams are correct: CW will get out when nothing else will.)

Susie WAS & IS a real HEROINE, imVho & fully DESERVES "something more than" a THANK YOU from the mayor & Chief of Police.

yours, satx

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    KI5TWA
    I'm looking to get into Wires X
    Have a Yaesu 991A base and a FTD3 HT

Also. Do any of you talk on Texas Nexus?

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I have played around a bit with Wires X, some good rooms with activity, others kinda dead. Just have to look around once it is setup.

I do talk on Texas Nexus, generally pretty good activity. I usually access it on the 88 repeater in Austin rather than via Wires-X.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have played around a bit with Wires X, some good rooms with activity, others kinda dead. Just have to look around once it is setup.

I do talk on Texas Nexus, generally pretty good activity. I usually access it on the 88 repeater in Austin rather than via Wires-X.
    if any of you guys want to talk on Texas Nexus, we should try to do that.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I just applied for my DMR number and am buying a multiplatform hotspot. If it works out , I will be able to take it with me in my truck and use the Onstar WIFI as well as use it at home

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Not many hams only have one radio. Just like how many people on TGT only have one gun?
    I never thought I would have 9 radios when I started in Amateur Radio, but guns have been the same. For a year or so I was content with 100 watts and an inverted vee at 32 feet but couldn't reach all states until I added an amplifier. Hopefully after I relocate to TX I'll be able to have a better antenna.

AK4SZ

Last edited:

W5LMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2021
    West Exas
    Been a ham since 2009. Upgraded to general after almost 10 years of being a tech.
    Enjoy PSK 31 the most when bands are dead. Running a G5RV due to limited space.
    My place has too much concrete for radials. Rack case to heavy to be portable. Just to keep shack neat.

20210213_160158.jpg

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I read part of this thread back when it first started, but don't have time to plow through it right now.

I have two questions:

1. how much does it cost to get the license?

2. how much does it cost to get a good rig setup including antenna?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I read part of this thread back when it first started, but don't have time to plow through it right now.

I have two questions:

1. how much does it cost to get the license?

2. how much does it cost to get a good rig setup including antenna?

$35 for ten years
    3 levels of licensing in Ham radio
    Easiest to get is the Technician level
    That let's you talk on several bands

next 2 levels let you talk on more bands..most HF

You can start simple and use a handheld radio I'm the metroplex and talk to alot of people on the vast network or repeaters
    You can purchase a decent handheld transceiver for $150 or less

You can also use a radio meant for a vehicle as a base radio to get started
    That set up would cost well unde $500

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Deleted because someone had a problem with it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom