• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wezel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Several years ago I acquired a Model 66 Smith & Wesson with a 2.5 inch barrel and a bobbed-off hammer spur making it double action only. I'd now like to have that hammer replaced with a stock hammer. Does anybody have a recommendation for a pistol smith in the Hill Country or Austin that could that could do this for me?

Anybody think this is a bad idea?
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    What I'm trying to figure out, rhetorical, is why the hell anybody would do that to such a beautiful revolver to begin with.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Have you tried bringing the hammer back via the trigger, then snagging it with your thumb to follow the rest of the way through?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    OP, replacing the trigger is not that difficult. Web search and find a parts diagram.

Bobbed hammers on revolvers make it less likely to snag upon drawing from concealed carry. A compromise is a good half bob with nicely rounded edges.

With a loaded gun, I would not be an advocate of using the trigger to help cock the hammer. Good way to get an ND.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I got a card at the gunshow last weekend for a Gunsmith in the Austin area. I will track it down and post the info.

The girl I talked to said they work on everything but I know nothing beyond that.

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    https://www.gunpartscorp .com/Manufacturers/SmithWesson-33495/Revolvers-42026/KFrameRevolvers-38382/66-2-36834.htm?page=4

They have several, just depends on the one you need.

Govern wisely and as little as possible~Sam Houston

Wezel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    https://www.gunpartscorp .com/Manufacturers/SmithWesson-33495/Revolvers-42026/KFrameRevolvers-38382/66-2-36834.htm?page=4

They have several, just depends on the one you need.

Govern wisely and as little as possible~Sam Houston

i did find this yesterday. All are out of stock except the .265 spur which appears to be the same size as the spur on my Model 36 (pretty small). Can anyone tell me the size of the stock hammer spur on the Model 66-3?

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Take your revolver to Hill Country Handguns in New Braunfels and have Justin McMillan work on it. I trust him totally; he's worked on my S&W 68 that wasn't carrying up properly. He knows revolvers VERY well. He's the only person that touches my match guns. Too many goofballs out there that want to cut springs (bad), file hammer notches and sears (very bad) and polish the inside of the sideplate (also bad). Justin will hook you up. He built my target guns when he was an AMU armorer.

S&W will also do good work; kind of a long backlog, though. Something to remember: a hammer USUALLY will drop in and fit, if it hasn't been screwed with. Some fitting (minor) will occasionally be needed, though. Not a big deal. But have someone that KNOWS S&Ws do the work. Not many revolver dudes around these days; everyone is a Glock plumber.
    Bob

Both these guns were tuned by Justin. Top revolver won the .38 match for me at Camp Perry a couple of years back.

DSC_2563_zps8ff5a4d7.jpg

Last edited:

Wezel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Thanks Bob.

I called S&W this morning. The guy said that the non-warranty backlog was two months. He suggested that I find a local licensed Armorer, who can order the part from them, to do the job. So that's what I'll do. Thanks again Bob.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Last edited:

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Thanks Bob.

I called S&W this morning. The guy said that the non-warranty backlog was two months. He suggested that I find a local licensed Armorer, who can order the part from them, to do the job. So that's what I'll do. Thanks again Bob.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Cruise the S&W forum; LOTS of S&W parts for sale there.
    Bob

Wezel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Take your revolver to Hill Country Handguns in New Braunfels and have Justin McMillan work on it. I trust him totally; he's worked on my S&W 68 that wasn't carrying up properly. He knows revolvers VERY well. He's the only person that touches my match guns. Too many goofballs out there that want to cut springs (bad), file hammer notches and sears (very bad) and polish the inside of the sideplate (also bad). Justin will hook you up. He built my target guns when he was an AMU armorer.

S&W will also do good work; kind of a long backlog, though. Something to remember: a hammer USUALLY will drop in and fit, if it hasn't been screwed with. Some fitting (minor) will occasionally be needed, though. Not a big deal. But have someone that KNOWS S&Ws do the work. Not many revolver dudes around these days; everyone is a Glock plumber.
    Bob

Both these guns were tuned by Justin. Top revolver won the .38 match for me at Camp Perry a couple of years back.

DSC_2563_zps8ff5a4d7.jpg
    Bob,

Here's their response to me:

"Thanks very much for your message.
    I am afraid we are no longer doing revolver work.
    We are so busy with our 1911 builds, that we are limiting our work to 1911’s only.
    Sorry I cannot be of more help on this.
    Thank you,

Matt Bettersworth
    GM
    Hill Country Rifles
    Phone: 830-609-3139 Ext. 302
    Fax: 830-625-4020
    sales@hillcountryrifles.com"

Wezel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Took it to Dury's in San Antonio. David was a pleasure to deal with. After some searching it turned out they had the hammer and Harvey did a great job installing it. I added the Ahrends grips later and now have great piece.

image.jpg

dt300mm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Austin
    You can call AJ at Blackjack, he's very talented guy & will be happy to replace the hammer as well as slick up the action. He just did the trigger/action on my S&W 632 in about a week for less than $100. He's also done several 1911's. He's my go to guy without hesitation, very happy with his work, fees & turn around time. Here's the contact info

Blackjack Gunsmithing
    13045 Pond Springs Rd
    Unit B
    Austin, TX 78729 Get Directions
    Phone number (512) 450-3535

Top Bottom