• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C7Z062019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2020
    Sugar Land
    Measuring my Taurus model 605 revolver with a 2" barrel length vs. my Taurus G3C semi with an advertised 3.2" barrel. The revolver is a straight forward measurement of 2". The G3C measuring from the tip of the bullet while being held fllush to the outside of the barrel same position were it chambered, measures right at 2" from tip to barrel muzzle end. Apparently the equivalent barrel length of both of these guns is 2". I would assume then that the accuracy of both would be about the same having same equivalent barrel length. Before having measured both I had assumed the G3C would be the most accurate with a longer advertised barrel. Maybe not so.
    DK Firearms

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    You'll be more accurate with the fixed barrel (and assume better trigger) revolver, than you will be with a semi auto where the barrel moves around with loose tolerances.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    The intrinsic accuracy of handguns is not related to barrel length. But longer barrels are often easier to shoot accurately. That's more about the distance between the front and rear sights.

When it comes to off the shelf guns I've found that revolvers are more accurate than autos in general. There's always an exception. If you go way up in price-point a super-premium 1911 might beat the revolver but at what multiple of cost? Spend the same on a revolver and you'll get a better result too.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Atf measures barrel length from the end of the muzzle on pistols/rifles (or end of a muzzle device if it is permanently attached) to the face of the breach. Revolvers are measured from the muzzle to the end of the forcing cone.

Lots of things go into making a gun accurate, barrel length though, isn't really one of them. A shorter barrel, should technically be more accurate as it will be stiffer and more rigid

C7Z062019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2020
    Sugar Land
    You'll be more accurate with the fixed barrel (and assume better trigger) revolver, than you will be with a semi auto where the barrel moves around with loose tolerances.
    Sounds reasonable. Although I feel zero movement in two of my pistols with the slide closed. Maybe you are saying the barrel moves before the bullet leaves the barrel? Actually I'm not a good enough shooter to notice the difference anyway! LOL

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The intrinsic accuracy of handguns is not related to barrel length. But longer barrels are often easier to shoot accurately. That's more about the distance between the front and rear sights.

When it comes to off the shelf guns I've found that revolvers are more accurate than autos in general. There's always an exception. If you go way up in price-point a super-premium 1911 might beat the revolver but at what multiple of cost? Spend the same on a revolver and you'll get a better result too.
    So, one should not be overly concerned about the length of their...barrel...

Top Bottom