• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Would the Boufang 3rd generation radio fit my want’s……Would appreciate any knowledgeable advice.
    Texas SOT

mogobodo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2022
    Dallas
    Would the Boufang 3rd generation radio fit my want’s……Would appreciate any knowledgeable advice.
    The Baofeng's are excellent for what they are, unencrypted amateur radios with good performance for the price. Standard voice inversion should keep what you are saying relatively private. Its not "military grade" stuff, and can be descrambled, but you have to think if shit really did get this bad, who'd have the resources do it? They are a good buy for adventuring, preparedness, etc.

Wanted to also add, you can encrypt these radios. But not legal under FCC regs unfortunately. They are decent and mate to my peltors with a kenwood convertor.

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    You get what you pay for. The output on these radios may be less than claimed and the audio isn't equal to the more expensive radios.
    Can't expect an inexpensive china radio to be equal to one made in Japan.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    There's a lot of factors when asking if it will fit your wants.
    Are you planning on using it with a repeater that's fairly close? What is the terrain like in your area?
    Remember, these are at most 5 watts, so using the built-in antenna will limit your range drastically unless you're going to use a close repeater.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Handheld for SHTF
    1669751419607.png

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    As was pointed out, you get what you pay for.

I like them.

Have a few UV5R and one UV9 PRO. The uv9 is much nicer and has a much more secure interface for remote mics and Disco32 makes a NICE ptt to go to a peltor headset if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Their range is on par for any LOS radio. You'll need an elevated repeater to get very far, but I can hit my local repeater and chat from several miles away no problems.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    There's a lot of factors when asking if it will fit your wants.
    Are you planning on using it with a repeater that's fairly close? What is the terrain like in your area?
    Remember, these are at most 5 watts, so using the built-in antenna will limit your range drastically unless you're going to use a close repeater.
    It's similar to asking if a particular gun will fit your needs.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    It's similar to asking if a particular gun will fit your needs.
    And much like a gun, a radio is only going to be useful if you learn how to use it and have others to communicate with.

In shtf a hand held radio really won't do much without buddies. Worst case you will get triangulation and munitions dropped on you.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    And much like a gun, a radio is only going to be useful if you learn how to use it and have others to communicate with.

In shtf a hand held radio really won't do much without buddies. Worst case you will get triangulation and munitions dropped on you.

I will bugging in if things hit the fan. What would be recommended for a good home based " starter " radio for a pure novice?

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I will bugging in if things hit the fan. What would be recommended for a good home based " starter " radio for a pure novice?
    What are your requirements for communications? Some radios are line of sight and others can reach nearly any point on the earth.
    What level of expertise in communications do you plan to obtain? What level of investment in time and money do you expect to make?
    The range of capabilities of radio equipment is vast just as it is in firearms or vehicles.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Will b re watching this tread. I have a Boufang handheld, but it is not "registered" with and license. I would like to find out the easiest way to get it to be more than 5 mile walki-Talki. I don't plan on making ham radio a hobby, for SHTF use only.

Reactions: gll

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    What are your requirements for communications? Some radios are line of sight and others can reach nearly any point on the earth.
    What level of expertise in communications do you plan to obtain? What level of investment in time and money do you expect to make?
    The range of capabilities of radio equipment is vast just as it is in firearms or vehicles.
    I’m not looking to break the bank. I am in a fairly flat area with a mountain range to the east of me (5300) ‘. I am only looking for fairly local communications. I’m aware of the capabilities of quaility receivers and transmitters. My Dad operated on a home built transmitter and one Uncle had General License and had a nice set up. Both of these were in the 40’s thru 70’s. I’ll obtain a General License. Really looking for emergency communication capabilities. I have too many responsibilities to add a hobby at this time.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Will b re watching this tread. I have a Boufang handheld, but it is not "registered" with and license. I would like to find out the easiest way to get it to be more than 5 mile walki-Talki. I don't plan on making ham radio a hobby, for SHTF use only.
    There is no requirement for a radio to be "registered". An operator is required to have a license permitting him to operate in a given band.
    A handheld Boufang operates line of sight, i.e. - short distance

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    They work really good in wide open spaces with repeaters and simplex

They are not known for spectral purity like a Yaesu is.
    In a more dense area like DFW there might be some bleed over but its all my son has and he is in Keller and we talk all the time from Abilene to there on a linked system with no problem

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Here is the problem with getting a HAM license for "SHTF only" as Ive seen it..
    People study and pass the test.
    Get a entry level radio and learn to talk on repeaters and simplex

Then they put them away in an ammo can and forget how to use them

Being a good operator is a skill..and a skill needs practice or when SHTF..you may not be ready.

Its the same for a person who buys a gun for protection and goes and shoots it one or 2 times and it just sits.

When the door gets kicked in at 2am
    They dont know their weapon by 2nd nature..they fumble and screw around and that will get you killed

If you want a skill to be there in an emergency..it takes practice

Last edited:

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Here is the problem with getting a HAM license for "SHTF only" as Ive seen it..
    People study and pass the test.
    Get a entry level radio and learn to talk on repeaters and simplex

Then they put them away in an ammo can and forget how to use them

Being a good operator is a skill..and a skill needs practice or when SHTF..you may not be ready.

Its the same for a person who buys a gun for protection and goes and shoots it one or 2 times and it just sits.

When the door gets kicked in at 2am
    They dont know their weapon by 2nd nature..they fumble and screw around

If you want a skill tombe there in an emergency..it takes practice
    ^^^ THIS post is the best post of the thread. Everyone thinking about having anything, not just radios, should heed this advice ^^^

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Check the Repeater Book for repeaters that you can reach... There's an app for phones.That's how you extend the range of a 5w handheld in the 2m and 1.25m, and 70cm bands.

Or, you can buy an amplifier...

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Wanted to also add, you can encrypt these radios. But not legal under FCC regs unfortunately. They are decent and mate to my peltors with a kenwood convertor.
    I guess it depends on what you define as SHTF. Under my definition, most laws wouldn't be worth the paper they're written on. In that case, I wouldn't worry too much about FFC regs. I'd worry more about not dying.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I guess it depends on what you define as SHTF. Under my definition, most laws wouldn't be worth the paper they're written on. In that case, I wouldn't worry too much about FFC regs. I'd worry more about not dying.
    Emergencies are an exception to the license requirement. I would think SHTF would qualify...

My opinion, if you don't want to make HAM radio a hobby, don't get a license. A license puts you in the public FCC datatabase, including your address (you can license to a P.O. box). If you need SHTF practice on radio get it on FRS...

Communicating (transmitting), especially at a distance is like a beacon to your location for the experienced operator. You can receive all you want...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom