Handgun.. Arthritis

Hamilly

Nov 26, 2013
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a handgun for my mother with arthritis for home protection. I have the Ruger SR40C and she says it kicks too much, meaning one shot and I really hope she hits her target. Looking for some suggestions on a gun that would be easy on her wrist that will get the job done....?

jbgramps

Feb 20, 2011
Austin
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a handgun for my mother with arthritis for home protection. I have the Ruger SR40C and she says it kicks too much, meaning one shot and I really hope she hits her target. Looking for some suggestions on a gun that would be easy on her wrist that will get the job done....?
My older sister is very recoil sensitive due to arthritis. She also can't rack the slide because of her arthritis. I gave her all steel .38 revolver. As for least recoil pistol. My full size 9mm Beretta PX4 probably has the lightest recoil of any 9mm I've ever shot. Beretta advertised low recoil as a selling point when it came out. Also, new grips may make a difference.

Whisky

Well-Known
BANNED!!!
Jan 27, 2013
my Wife doesn't care to shoot my sig 938 (9mm)(tho she has no problem with her G19 (9mm) and likes much shooting it)

she has a sig 238 (.380) that she carries and it also has nightstand duty - both she and her gal friends enjoy shooting that (I like it too) - so, for HD, ya might have her try something heavier and higher capacity (and even less recoil) in .380 - say a Bersa Thunder - I believe they have both single and double stack Bersas

9x19

Aug 11, 2008
Try a Ruger LC 380 (not the LCP).

It is their LC9 re-chambered for .380 instead of 9mm, but since it's still a locked breech action the recoil is mild (and the slide is easier to actuate).

Texasjack

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jan 3, 2010
Occupied Texas
I'd vote for the full size revolver in .38 Special. Easy to shoot, but the weight keeps the recoil light. I'd almost suggest the Taurus Judge, but the weight may be too much. With .45 Long Colt, you have a good protection round that, combined with the weight of the cylinder of the gun, has very light recoil.

Out of curiosity, I googled "handgun recoil caliber" and found this table: Handgun Recoil Table Look at the far right column and you can find the lower recoils.

Hamilly

Nov 26, 2013
I'd vote for the full size revolver in .38 Special. Easy to shoot, but the weight keeps the recoil light. I'd almost suggest the Taurus Judge, but the weight may be too much. With .45 Long Colt, you have a good protection round that, combined with the weight of the cylinder of the gun, has very light recoil.

Out of curiosity, I googled "handgun recoil caliber" and found this table: Handgun Recoil Table Look at the far right column and you can find the lower recoils.
Very Interesting information! thanks.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 24, 2012
Hill County
What shortround said. Or a full size .357 mag. with .38 spcl loads.

A guy I was talking to at a LGS had a rather small wife, or was it daughter, that was very recoil sensitive. He somehow talked her into shooting his G.I. model 1911. That is now the only thing she will shoot. He thought that it might be due to the fact that the .45 ACP was more of a direct rearward recoil as apposed to some of his other pistols having more of a "snap" like recoil. Might try that with her.

Last edited:

Primary

TexasGunTalk Assistant
Here are some related products that TexasGunTalk members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TexasGunTalk’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TexasGunTalk discussions about these products.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads