• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hamilly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2013
    Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a handgun for my mother with arthritis for home protection. I have the Ruger SR40C and she says it kicks too much, meaning one shot and I really hope she hits her target. Looking for some suggestions on a gun that would be easy on her wrist that will get the job done....?
    Gun Zone Deals

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a handgun for my mother with arthritis for home protection. I have the Ruger SR40C and she says it kicks too much, meaning one shot and I really hope she hits her target. Looking for some suggestions on a gun that would be easy on her wrist that will get the job done....?

My older sister is very recoil sensitive due to arthritis. She also can't rack the slide because of her arthritis. I gave her all steel .38 revolver. As for least recoil pistol. My full size 9mm Beretta PX4 probably has the lightest recoil of any 9mm I've ever shot. Beretta advertised low recoil as a selling point when it came out. Also, new grips may make a difference.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    my Wife doesn't care to shoot my sig 938 (9mm)(tho she has no problem with her G19 (9mm) and likes much shooting it)

she has a sig 238 (.380) that she carries and it also has nightstand duty - both she and her gal friends enjoy shooting that (I like it too) - so, for HD, ya might have her try something heavier and higher capacity (and even less recoil) in .380 - say a Bersa Thunder - I believe they have both single and double stack Bersas

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Try a Ruger LC 380 (not the LCP).

It is their LC9 re-chambered for .380 instead of 9mm, but since it's still a locked breech action the recoil is mild (and the slide is easier to actuate).

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I'd vote for the full size revolver in .38 Special. Easy to shoot, but the weight keeps the recoil light. I'd almost suggest the Taurus Judge, but the weight may be too much. With .45 Long Colt, you have a good protection round that, combined with the weight of the cylinder of the gun, has very light recoil.

Out of curiosity, I googled "handgun recoil caliber" and found this table: Handgun Recoil Table Look at the far right column and you can find the lower recoils.

Hamilly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2013
    I'd vote for the full size revolver in .38 Special. Easy to shoot, but the weight keeps the recoil light. I'd almost suggest the Taurus Judge, but the weight may be too much. With .45 Long Colt, you have a good protection round that, combined with the weight of the cylinder of the gun, has very light recoil.

Out of curiosity, I googled "handgun recoil caliber" and found this table: Handgun Recoil Table Look at the far right column and you can find the lower recoils.

Very Interesting information! thanks.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    What shortround said. Or a full size .357 mag. with .38 spcl loads.

A guy I was talking to at a LGS had a rather small wife, or was it daughter, that was very recoil sensitive. He somehow talked her into shooting his G.I. model 1911. That is now the only thing she will shoot. He thought that it might be due to the fact that the .45 ACP was more of a direct rearward recoil as apposed to some of his other pistols having more of a "snap" like recoil. Might try that with her.

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    They do also make reduced recoil loads for the .38, so that may be worth checking into. Depending on the ability to rack the slide, a big steel .380 would be another option.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Look at full size, look at 9mm or .45. .40 is snappy and even I don't like shooting some of the smaller ones, and most of the pain receptors in my hands quit working years ago.

IMO, it doesn't get much better than the M&P line for a soft-shooting pistol.

Can she rack a slide on an auto?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It's friggin' arthritis, not some completely debilitating disease. I'm pretty sure I've got some form of it at this point...

I probably do also.

The difference is people's pain threshhold. I don't think enough pain exists to keep me from shooting but some people just can't take any pain at all.

Lmccrock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    Does Beretta still make tip-up barrel pistols? Still gotta work the barrel latch rather than the slide. Or, as was said, as much weight-reduced 357 revolver with 38 special ammo as your budget can handle. But be sure she tries it so it fits and the trigger pull is not too much and she can release the cylinder.

It's friggin' arthritis, not some completely debilitating disease. I'm pretty sure I've got some form of it at this point...
    Arthritis can be completely debilitating. Rheumatoid can be crippling. Come see me at the next match, glad to share info.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My former lady friend has a Beretta Tomcat .32. She liked the tip up barrel and that she didn't need to rack the slide back. I gave her a Glock 26 and she took off! It suits her fine and the Beretta never gets to play any more.

Flash

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I see lots of 38spl but no suggestions as to ammo load. OPs mom should be able to to practice without hurting that night or being sore the next day.

For comparitive info, the grip on a 38sp revolver kills my hand. I had a 38spl snub for a little bit while expermenting with carry. The grip did a real number on my palm. I was shooting 158gr (read: heavy). My hands are a girl small-medium size skinny. Bones are very exposed. They don't have much padding on the palms like most of you gentleman have. So the recoil hits harder and throttles the butt of the grip into the center of the pal. The affects linger. I have a touch or arthritis in my wrist and aggravate carpal tunnel symptoms being that I have one hand and it must take the strain of all the work of life.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I see .380 mentioned. If you want to look at a semiauto 380, look at the Beretta Cheetah 86. It has the tipup barrel and it is a large frae for the caliber. Makes it very easy to shoot. The tipup barrel makes loading/unloading easy. I carried one for a while and it shot well. It did not like flat nosed rounds though. I know the trend is to stay away from SA because the need for manipulating the slide. But the tipup barrel from Beretta is a great option. Remember, I have one hand and racking a slide is a challenge for me too. The 86 was my first carry precisely for the fact of the tipup barrel so I could stay with a semiauto.

Top Bottom