• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phoebe Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Houston ish
    I'm new here and have a few questions. I looked through some of the threads and didn't find my answer as it relates to a woman carrying a gun. Hopefully you guys and gals can help me out.

I would like to buy a handgun to carry on my person when needed. Most likely it will be in my purse when I'm out so this is a consideration I'll have when buying a gun. In my mind I'm thinking "small" is important but I read a thread earlier where someone said to get away from that kind of thinking.

What type and size gun would you all recommend for a woman carrying a gun? .38?

What are the pros and cons of a revolver, semi auto?

How important is it to go with a major manufacturer vs. a lesser known manufacturer?

New, used?

Does a pink gun make it feel less manly? Ok, just kidding on that one.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Phoebe
    Target Sports

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The smaller the gun, the easier to conceal and carry, but also the harder to shoot and more recoil. My wife carries a SW 637 in 38 special, (15 oz gun and very small and light) and even with Federal "Reduced Recoil" loads, she can't shoot very many before getting a sore hand. But, she can hit center of mass with it, and hopefully she will never get in a gun fight requiring more than a couple of shots.

You don't have a location in your profile, but if you are in the DFW area, you could come out to one of our shoots, and try out lots of different guns. That is the best way to decide.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Welcome.

Now to your questions:

I would like to buy a handgun to carry on my person when needed. Most likely it will be in my purse when I'm out so this is a consideration I'll have when buying a gun. In my mind I'm thinking "small" is important but I read a thread earlier where someone said to get away from that kind of thinking.
    If you are going to carry , you should carry on your person and NOT in a purse. If your purse gets snatched, you are out of a gun. A gun carried should ALWAYS be under your control at all times.

Small is a relative term. There are many subcompact models to choose from in adequate calibers.

Carry the largest caliber you can comfortably and reliably shoot.

A revolver does not have feed jams, but it is harder to conceal and holds fewer rounds.

A semi auto is more compact, easier to conceal, and holds more rounds....but could jam{ not likely with proper care and a reliable make}

How important is it to go with a major manufacturer vs. a lesser known manufacturer?

You get what you pay for. Shoei{sp} motorcycle helmets have a great ad that states "if you have a 10 dollar head, buy a 10 dollar helmet"

New, used?

Depends on the condition of the used gun, who you are buying it from etc.

The only drawback on a pink gun{ or any other wild color} is the bad guy might think it is a toy and force you to shoot him{ as opposed to just seeing the gun and running like hell in the direction he came from}

Hope this helps.

Oh and check this site out. http://corneredcat.com/

hk boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'm not a big fan of purse carry
    the purse is the first thing the crook goes after
    the purse can be seperated from owner
    it's better to have gun on your person
    as far as which gun to carry?
    you need to handle & shoot as many as you can to find that right gun

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    My wife to be is not interested in getting a CHL but she shoots my full size 40 pretty good. Do you have a CHL or plan on getting it after you buy a gun? I would suggest a compact over a sub compact any day of the week. And like navy guy said if you can make it to a shoot to try different guns that is a good place to start. What general area do you live in? If I was to guess that you are not that familiar with firearms. I would highly recommend going to a reputable firearms instructor for training/ advice so you will have a safe environment in which to learn. O yeah don't carry the gun in your purse when you get you CHL.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I just want to say that smaller isn't necessarily better. It makes the gun hard to shoot, and can increase the gun's recoil. With the right equipment, you can reasonably conceal a pretty large gun.

Always go with a major brand. They have the best warrenties and easiest to find parts for.

I personally am an auto person. They usually carry more rounds of ammo, and 9mm luger is the cheapest (besides .22LR) ammo to shoot. Many people have problems with racking back the slide, but that is mainly a problem of technique, not strength. A cheap automatic is less reliable than a cheap revolver, but most name brand auto's will fire extremely reliably, but you have to test ALL guns you depend on for self defense with the ammo you plan on using. Either way, get what you feel most comfortable with.

As to caliber, a 9mm luger's recoil is very managable, and there is a lot of good ammunition for it. .380 auto is a lower power round, but I'd avoid it right now because it is impossible to find ammunition for it.

If you get a revolver, I'd get a .357 magnum. That way, you have the option of shooting 38 specials or .357 magnum, whichever you feel most comfortable. 357 magnums guns are stronger, and tend to be a little more expensive and a little bigger. If you really wanted a revolver, I'd also want to find some information about the .327 magnum. According to hearsay, it has similar ballistics and lower recoil than the .357 magnum. I'm not an expert, but this looks like an interesting round, but it would be harder to find ammunition for it (and more expensive).

They call it a personal firearm for a reason. It is a very personal decision, and there is no perfect firearm for eveyone. I personally like a glock 19, but you might like something else.

Remember not to forget to buy a good holster. Good self defense ammunition is also a must if you plan on carrying or using guns for self defense.

Good luck, be safe.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

That would have been me. Too many people make the mistake, in my opinion, of assuming they need a micro machine for a carry gun. Now there are some obvious exceptions such as tight fitting clothing, absolute need for no printing (work carry for example), and other issues, but for the most part the far majority of people can conceal a medium framed semi-auto.

The downsides to a smaller gun is as such:

1. They are generally lighter and have heavier recoil springs (in semi-autos) which both translates to sharper felt recoil. Even if you can control the recoil it will cause you to take longer between shots.

2. They almost always are a larger gun made compact. This means that there is less room for parts to move, shorter cycle times, harder recoil springs, and other minor things that can make the gun more prone to jamming... especially if you do not have proper form.

Honestly there is no "women's gun" on the market. The caliber all depends on the person's ability with a firearm, and just about anyone can be trained to handle all of the standard self-defense calibers on the market.

I would suggest handling as many different kinds of guns you can, and only then will you get an idea of what is going to work for you. One thing you really should not put too much emphasis on is recoil. Too many women want something that is light shooting, and honestly in a self-defense situation you are not going to be concerned with the recoil. Recoil is going to be more of an issue when you are practicing with the gun, but that can be overcome with practice and a little training. All shooters have issues with reacting to recoil when they are new.

Another common thing women want is an ultra lightweight handgun. While this isn't bad from a carry aspect it really translates into alot of punch in your hand. Just be forewarned as many firearms sellers, especially box stores, aren't too savvy when it comes to knowing the guns they sell. I've heard alot of stories about women being coerced into something like a S&W Airweight because of it's lightness then being surprised at the recoil even in something light shooting like .38 Special.

In my personal opinion, I like the following guns for carry:

- Ruger SP101
    - Walther PPS
    - Glock 19
    - Kimber Pro Carry II
    - Sig P239

If you want my personal opinion, I'd sell everyone in the United States a Walther PPS. They are damn near perfect in my opinion for a carry gun. They come in .40 S&W and 9mm, of which I suggest the later.

Semi Autos

Pros
    - Ammo Capacity
    - Faster Reloads

Cons

- Jamming
    - Price Point

Revolvers

Pros
    - Wider Caliber Choice (.22 LR --> .500 S&W)
    - No Jamming
    - Cheaper (Generally)

Cons

- Less Ammo Capacity
    - More Complicated Speed Reloading
    - Cylinder Width (Translates to wider holster / bulge)

You'll find that alot of people will swear by one or the other, but I find that you can't go wrong with either so long as you do two things:

1. Buy a quality gun.
    2. Learn to use it properly.

This question is best answered by asking yourself if you'd trust a lesser gun to save your life, and my reply to everyone is to buy the best quality you can afford. If you are a single mother with a couple kids, then you might not be able to afford a Performance Center S&W revolver, but it's always best to buy something as quality as you can.

Brands I would trust are:

- HK
    - Kimber
    - Glock
    - Ruger Revolvers
    - Walther (Not the PPK Series)
    - S&W Revolvers and the M&P Series Semi-Autos
    - Sig Sauer
    - Springfield Armory
    - Colt
    - CZ
    - Magnum Research

All of these are good choices in my opinion.

I personally avoid:

- Lorsen
    - Raven
    - Jenkins
    - Jimenez
    - Bersa
    - Hi Point
    - Taurus
    - Kahr

I've seen more than my fair share of issues with these guns, and would not personally own them. Many people would disagree with me, but they are entitled to their own opinion.

New, used?

A used quality firearm can save you some coin. Keyword is quality. I would suggest taking someone along that knows what to look for in a used gun, or going to a reputable firearms dealer that will be straightforward with it's condition.

Shooting someone with a pink gun is like adding salt in the wound. Not only did you get shot, but you got shot with a pink gun.

I'm sure Shorts will be along to offer a women's perspective.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I would suggest you find a range that will rent you some weapons to test fire, or make some friends here or around you and borrow different types of weapons. Keep an open mind and try everything from big to small.

My wife has a "Pink Lady" 38 special from Charter arms. The pistol is amazingly light and has a full size grip. Now that she has it, she likes shooting my Browning Hi-Power better. The one that was too big and too heavy before.

Something else I would urge you to consider before making a purchase, is see how hard it is for you to take apart or pull the slide back on a semi-auto. With a revolver, if you pull the trigger and nothing happens, you just pull the trigger again. With a semi-auto, you have to pull the slide back and chamber another load when this happens. Ask yourself if you're capable of performing this action quickly if needed.

Also, the snub nose 38 revolver is a bit less accurate for an inexperienced shooter. Whatever pistol you decide on, remember, you need to learn to shoot, and practice makes perfect.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Hi. This is GM's wife, April. I just went through all this, so hopefully, I can give you a women's POV.

I have a Glock 23 and DH got a Springfield XD. Both are .40 compact. They shoot, IMO, very similarly, and you wouldn't tell the difference unless you literally shot one right after the other. In looks as well (no comments from all you men out there....this is a woman's POV lol), they look almost identical. I've heard the running joke is that Springfield took glock and made it better. But I like mine better....which I'll go into in a few.

Dh just got a Sig, .45. I don't like it. I feel that compared to the other guns we have, it takes longer to get back on target and the grip is lower. The recoil/power isn't much different between the two calibers, but I don't like the SIg anywhere NEAR the glock or the XD.

Between the glock and the XD (and all other guns I've personally seen especially the ones i've shot), there are a few differences that I think are worht mentioning.

The glock is lighter. There's a reason why it is used so much as a carry for police officers, who carry it all day long. It's easier to carry because it's a bit lighter than it's couterparts...including the XD that's so close.

The glock is easier to disassemble/clean. It's very basic, and it's the easiest (even DH agrees lol) to take apart. You really don't need to know anything about guns. lol Dh thinks the glock gets slightly dirtier than the XD, but I suppose if you're going to be cleaning.....it is what it is.

I feel that I get on target faster and that there's almost no recoil. I tried out a lighter gun, Bersa .380, but needless to say, I was very worried after I bought the .40 before I shot it. I thought it would be like a canon or soemthing. really not bad considering what everyone talks about and how it can grow in your head.

I like the bigger grip. I've heard some women say that they didn't like it for this reason. I personally feel it gives me a better grip for shooting, my hands feel more solidly around it and in place. I suppose the only way to describe it would be using two different shovels for heavy work and the feeling that the one with the smaller grip was gonna break any minute now. lol

Lastly about the Glock....from what I've heard, while most people think it's "ugly", most will admit that it's "no fuss". It can take a licking and keep on tickin. KWIM?

About concealing......

I dress in tight clothing, about as girly as you can get, and i was very frustrated with a bunch of women in flannels and loose jeans talking about how easy it was to carry on your body concealed. I didn't want to carry in my purse as even if the assailant isn't a thief, in a hand to hand struggle, your purse is likely to get thrown off your body. Furthermore, if you're anything like me....it would take a full 3 minutes to even FIND the gun to begin with!

We looked at harnesses and straps and on and on. Guess what we figured out? I can ' carry on body concealed.....by itself. But, I CAN put a hip harness on, put what little bit of shirt tail I have over it, and then wear my over the shoulder/body purse where the pouch part of the purse lays over the gun on my hip. Unfortunately, this is about as good as it gets. Either that...or get a knew wardrobe. lol

HTH,
    April

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Mrs. Charley has two carry guns... a Mararov and Keltec P-32. The P-32 is small enough to ride in her pocket and ALWAYS be there. Granted, a .32 ACP is no powerhouse, but one or more hits with a lighter caliber beats a loud noise and a miss with a larger caliber..

jay524288

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What type and size gun would you all recommend for a woman carrying a gun?

Have you taken any training? That's the first step, not buying a pistol. In any reasonable beginner pistol class you'll get to handle several pistols to see what works and what doesn't. Your question is sort of like someone who hasn't learned to drive asking what car to buy.

What part of Texas are you in? I'm sure someone here can direct you to a reputable trainer.

Barring that, here is my advice.

You should have a gun that fits your hand. This is varies greatly from one person to the next, so anonymous advice telling you to get a particular gun is worthless. You wouldn't ask on a forum what size shoe to buy, would you?

If the gun doesn't fit you, especially if you are a novice pistol shooter, it will be difficult to shoot accurately.

The way to tell if a gun fits, is to hold it, ALWAYS KEEPING IT POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION with the back of the gun firmly pressed into the V between your thumb and index finger. Hold as high on the gun as you can. Put the pad of your index finger on the trigger. Your finger should be bent close to 90 degrees if the gun fits. If it is bent a lot less than 90 degrees, the gun is too big.

Go to a gun store or gun show and find out what guns fit you. If the dealer tries to steer you towards or away from a particular gun or caliber because you are a woman, ignore him/her or go somewhere else.

The caliber is secondary to gun fit. I recommend a minimum of 9mm for defensive purposes. And unless you've only found a gun that fits that isn't available in 9mm, you should stick with 9mm.

Yes, there are other calibers and some have better performance. But for that performance to matter you have to hit. 9mm guns tend to be easier to shoot, which improves your accuracy and makes practicing more productive. 9mm ammo is cheaper than .40 or .45, which means you can practice more for the same amount of money.

Do you have any hand strength or finger dexterity problems? If not, get a semi-auto. They are faster, hold more ammo, and have a simpler
    manual of arms.

Stick with the well known and respected models. Glock, Springfield XD, Smith&Wesson M&P are all reputable guns and easy to learn for a beginner.

A general rule of thumb is that the simpler the operation of the gun, the better. Each extra knob or switch or lever on the gun makes it that much more complicated to understand.

New, used?

Doesn't matter if the used gun is in good condition. Determining if it's in good condition can be difficult, so the safest choice is to get a new gun.

You said you intend to carry in a purse. As many others have pointed out, that's not ideal. Unfortunately, there are few good ways for most woman to carry on their bodies. Most women's bodies aren't really made for holsters. Some women are able to carry on their body. It just depends on their body shape. If you do carry in a purse, you can get one designed for carrying a gun. If you use a standard purse, you will still need a holster for the gun.

Here is an article about picking a gun:
    http://krtraining.com/KRTraining/Archive/firstgun2006.html

maniacmama

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Round Rock, Texas
    This forum is the best!! I wish prior to embarking on my carry search, and what caliber I like to shoot, utilize as a "car gun" etc.. I would have found this forum because this is exactly the question I had two years ago. Phoebe, thus far you have golden information. I would like to add... take and use ALL of the information presented logically and methodically. Be sure to click on the links and really work on digesting the information on those sights. It's ok to take your time. Ask questions, take notes. After my first trip to the range, I started a "what do I need list." That helped me to focus on how I would want to spend my limited dollar. It has been with me ever since, and undergone many changes. Lastly, enjoy this process of learning. Best of luck to you!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Looks like the topic was well covered.

I don't count. My variables:preferences are too whacked out. I'm a skinny girl with one arm that carries a Colt Commander .45 in an IWB.

I don't like purse carry for the cons listed above (threat of losing it/leaving it/not quick access).

I prefer semi-autos, 1911s and single-actions especially. I find I am more accurate and they are more comfortable for me to shoot. I have carried a .38spl snubby, Beretta Cheetah .380 and the Colt. Always on body. In colder climates I carried cross draw and strong side OWB. A pull over or jacket easily concealed it.

If you are in the DFW area I encourage you to come out and join us for a range day. Gobs of firearms to handle and shoot between the gang plus meet new folks

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    One thing I'd like to point out.....Lots of guys are full of it! I can't tell you how many husbands, boyfriends, etc I've had to deal with that wouldn't listen to reason and that kept trying to steer their wives/girlfriends into guns that were extremely poor choices for a beginner. The nice thing nowadays is there are a ton of reputable manufacturers out there making great quality, durable, and reliable guns. There is such a wide variety of shapes, sizes, calibers, and action types that it really is a very individual preference for every person. The best recommendation I could make, Phoebe, is to try and learn about the pros and cons for the two main different types (revolvers/semi autos), try to go take an entry level training class or find someone experienced that can personally walk you through all the safety rules and basic firearms handling. Then go from there, maybe go to a range that does rentals, and just try out a bunch of different types of guns and calibers.

Oh, and one other thing, pleeeeeease don't let any ignorant guys out there convince you that, because you're a woman you are best off having a revolver because they are "simple". I've come across so many new women shooters that have had to deal with those recommendations enough that it makes me want to scream. ;) Women are just as capable as men, and it doesn't take some significant amount of testosterone to operate a semi auto or anything. ;) If you decide you do like revolvers, that's great. Just saying, don't short change yourself because of the ignorant recommendations you might get from some others. Here's some pros and cons to get you started:

Revolvers:

Pros:

• Some of them are very small and lightweight
    • Simple to operate when firing
    • Very little possibility of a jam occurring (not impossible, just not likely)
    • Shape of some snub noses lends them to being more easily concealed than some semi autos
    Cons:

• Double action trigger is usually insanely heavy (like 15lbs heavy!)
    • Reloading usually takes longer than most semi autos
    • Reloading is generally more difficult than most semi autos
    • Significantly lower ammo capacity from most semi autos
    • Lightweight snub noses usually have a pretty decent amount of felt recoil since they are so light

Semi Autos:

Pros:

• Usually have lighter triggers than some revolvers
    • Easier to make faster follow up shots than with a revolver
    • Easier to reload
    • Can usually be reloaded faster than most revolvers
    • Most have higher ammo capacity than revolvers
    • Most modern semi autos are very reliable
    • Most semi autos have easier sights to see compared to some revolvers

Cons:

• More manipulation required than a revolver if clearing out a malfunction
    • Slide can usually be pushed out of battery, disabling the gun until the slide is let forward all the way
    • Has the possibility of a number of different malfunction types that revolvers don't have

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Ah hell here he goes on his Little guns for woman rant again. He is right Phoebe Ann, no one should tell you what feels good in your hand but you. And if some jackass is demanding you get a feather weight revolver for your first gun just say no thank you and leave. Most places will tell you that the snub models are popular with the ladies, that is not demanding that is making an observation as to who buys what. I bought a CZ as a first semi auto handgun and I wanted an xd 45 but I let someone talk me into a gun that I love now it is an awesome gun, but it is not what I set out for. Don't let that happen to you. Handle and shoot any handgun you can get your hands on, any caliber any make and try to look at a well known maker of weapons for now. Glock, CZ, S&W, HK, XD, SIG, etc... I personally do not like Glocks, They are great guns but I just don't care much for them. You my find that you love thew glock line of weapons and just have to have one, you just have to try as many as you can to find the one you like.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh, and one other thing, pleeeeeease don't let any ignorant guys out there convince you that, because you're a woman you are best off having a revolver because they are "simple". I've come across so many new women shooters that have had to deal with those recommendations enough that it makes me want to scream. ;) Women are just as capable as men, and it doesn't take some significant amount of testosterone to operate a semi auto or anything. ;) If you decide you do like revolvers, that's great. Just saying, don't short change yourself because of the ignorant recommendations you might get from some others.

AMEN!

If you can drive a car, you can run a handgun.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    "There is no firearm which requires a pair of testicles to operate"
    It's just to bad that doesn't say gun. :rolleyes: Shorts is right. If you come across a gun salesmen trying to push something on you that you don't like (I mean gun wise) :rolleyes: then walk out and disregard what he told you, because he probably does not know WTF he is talking about.

Top Bottom