• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Robo, it's been a few years (well, okay - a LOT of years) since I wore a badge - but I still remember that there are laws....and law enforcement. We're all human - and will judge based on the situation at hand. Back then, a farmer/rancher pulled over on a routine stop that was gruff was kind of to be expected - but a kid with the same 'tude and a pair of pliers in his glove box might well be hauled in for having "fence cutting tools". THAT is why I recommended consulting with a competent attorney, because what you or I might accept as "reasonable", another cop might not, or he may be a newby with grand illusions as to his role in life. I've been pulled over by rookies - and have first-hand experience in dealing with 'em, both as a civilian and a TO. Years ago, I had one all excited, telling me how he was gonna put me UNDER the jail for carryin' my gun. Thankfully, a supervisor was available and settled his hash pretty quickly. My point is that had I not known the law and how it applied to my situation (and the LEGAL way to respond to his questions), I COULD have faced charges that, while they'd have been settled in court in my favor, would have cost me time AND money that I coulda used elsewhere!
    Texas SOT

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Under the age of 18 you can only posses a handgun in the state of Texas if: you are in the military and have attained a CHL or if you are armed security or LE and our on the job. You can also posses one if you are on you way to or from the range.

Wrong if you are under the age of 18 you cannot legally work as a security guard. 21 is the age to become a LEO, altho I don't know if that is law or policy.

OK, enough of the disinformation already. I just went through all of Chapter 46 of the Texas Penal Code. Nothing in there says you cannot own or possess a handgun if you are under 21. Federal law deals with the purchase or transfer of handguns and handgun ammunition.

True! But how many of your fellow officers have or would talk someone in his position to jail? I know I had a State Trooper say he was going to take me to jail for having a 44 with me in the truck until he found out it was a cap and ball pistol. It is all based on the discretion of the officer involved in the scenario.

countyhunter6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Harlingen, tx
    I emailed the ATF, TSRA legislative people, and then even called the NRA people and am expecting a call back from them so hopefully i can finally get a certain answer. Ill post again when i learn something

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I didn't think you could join the army before 18. I thought you basically had to have adult permission to possess a handgun before 18.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I am certainly not trying to give legal advise. I did not say it was "legal" to carry a handgun at 18. I was saying the Texas law does not say it is illegal. Age is not mentioned in Chapter 46, except in the parts about making a firearm accessable to a "child" and that only applies to children. An 18 year old is not a child.

You must be 21 to get a CHL. You must be 21 to "buy" a handgun (Federal Law). You must be 21 to "buy" handgun ammunition (Federal Law). State law does not address the issue.

Might you be arrested for UCW for possessing a handgun in your vehicle? YES, even if you are 50 years old. Can you beat it? An 18 year old has the same ground to stand on as the 50 year old. If you are not a member of a criminal street gang, otherwise precluded from possessing a handgun (Protective Order or Convicted Felon) or committing another crime other than a traffic infraction, the law says you CAN have a handgun in your vehicle. No part of the UCW statute addresses age.

Is this a good idea in certain jurisdictions (Austin?)? No. Is it against the law. The way I read the law, NO!

Top Bottom