• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    After taking my CHL class and learning of all the many legal crud that can be involved as a result of using your handgun, I was told that the NRA among other gun organizations offer legal assistance and council if one were to need it as a result of using their weapon.

I'm looking for a list of such organizations. If you are a member of such an organization, feel free to brag on your group. I'm interested to listen.
    ARJ Defense ad

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    To my knowledge, there is no Gun group that provides legal assistance including the NRA but if they do, I would like to check it out.

If you are involved in a justifiable shooting, then you do not need criminal assistance but you may need civil assistance as the BG or his family will certainly come after you.

If your shooting is good, and they do sue, countersue both the plaintiff and his attorney for frivolous law suit. I know of one case that happened in Kansas about 25 years ago.

Ambulance chaser and family sued for 1,000,000. Good guy counter sued for the same plus attorney fees. Good Guy won something like 500K plus 150K attorney fees to be paid by the ambulance chaser as that would have been his fee. Really funny. Ambulance chaser filed for bankruptcy.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    If you are involved in a justifiable shooting, then you do not need criminal assistance but you may need civil assistance as the BG or his family will certainly come after you.

If your shooting is good, and they do sue, countersue both the plaintiff and his attorney for frivolous law suit. I know of one case that happened in Kansas about 25 years ago.

Ambulance chaser and family sued for 1,000,000. Good guy counter sued for the same plus attorney fees. Good Guy won something like 500K plus 150K attorney fees to be paid by the ambulance chaser as that would have been his fee. Really funny. Ambulance chaser filed for bankruptcy.

granted even a justifiable use of one's weapon may eventually result in you being found innocent, dropping of charges or similar, one would still have to pay in time and/or money (for a criminal case) Civil suits would be a bigger pain and while a countersuit would always be an option, it's still a LOT of time and effort where the prosecuter will have hours to analyze as situation you only had a few seconds to respond to.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    No the castle doctrine only affects you're home, you're life, and you're belongings, and even so it is a defence TO prosecution not a defence FROM prosecution.

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    I did some checking on the Castel Doctrine, it does stop civil suits in self defense of ones home, vehicle and workplace.
    The new law will also provide civil immunity for a person who lawfully uses deadly force in any of the circumstances spelled out in the bill. Police and prosecutors can still press charges if they feel deadly force was illegally used, legislative sponsors said.
    div#article_tools_bottom a{ font-size:9px;}

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    No the castle doctrine only affects you're home, you're life, and you're belongings, and even so it is a defence TO prosecution not a defence FROM prosecution.

But you don't need to be prosecuted criminally in a civil case. :p

That's just an aside though. The "Castle Doctrine" needs to be read if one is asking questions about it. There are civil protections.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I did some checking on the Castel Doctrine, it does stop civil suits in self defense of ones home, vehicle and workplace.
    The new law will also provide civil immunity for a person who lawfully uses deadly force in any of the circumstances spelled out in the bill. Police and prosecutors can still press charges if they feel deadly force was illegally used, legislative sponsors said.
    div#article_tools_bottom a{ font-size:9px;}

Do you have a link to the article?

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    SECTION 4. Section 83.001, Civil Practice and Remedies Code, is amended to read as follows:
    Sec. 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY [AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE]. A [It is an affirmative defense to a civil action for damages for personal injury or death that the] defendant who uses force or[, at the time the cause of action arose, was justified in using] deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9 [Section 9.32], Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant’s [against a person who at the time of the] use of force or deadly force, as applicable [was committing an offense of unlawful entry in the habitation of the defendant].

stilettosixshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    I was told that the NRA among other gun organizations offer legal assistance and council if one were to need it as a result of using their weapon.

The NRA does offer a Personal Protection in the Home course, which might be a good pre-incident place to start (rather than getting legal assistance after the fact). Knowing the detailed legal considerations of home defense should be a part of any crisis plan, in my opinion. And, generally a good idea besides :)

Top Bottom