• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    A few days ago I had the chance to get hands on with a few SBRs and try them on for fit, though they did not have the 6933 I wanted to check out. The guy at the counter was really pushing the gas piston systems. He handed me a PWS MK110 (10.75") and an LWRC PSD (8.5") and finally a BM 11.5" Commando HBAR (closest they had on the shelf to the 6933).

The PWS impressed me being the most lightweight of the three. I was surprised. I've read gas piston variants are heavier than the DI counterparts. (And I'm having trouble finding their counterparts). Is PWS an usually light specimen?

The LWRC was slightly heavier. More bulky with the rail covers on the front end. Nice rifle, but not really my speed. I have in mind that 11.5 is the idea SBR length for me. The LWRC was too short, least for what I think I want.

Finally I handled a BM 11.5" HBAR. Nah. It was heavy, as it should be with the HBAR. Felt just like your standard AR15.

I can't find much online about the PWS MK110. I've found one or two users and their reviews that have cross posted on several forums. But seems like not much else.

Does anyone here have any use on the MK110? Is a gas piston system in SBR lengths more reliable than a DI in the same barrel length? I have it in my mind that the Colt 6933 is the rifle I'm looking for being a LW barrel and a trusted length for reliability. Any opinions on how the rifles I looked at compared to the 6933?

For the use/purpose, I believe a LW SBR would be to me as a LW Carbine is to regular guys. It will be my all around utility rifle, range shooter, take to a class, HD, field rifle. With only one hand and being a small frame girl, stability, accuracy and fatigue are factors when free standing shooting. I notice that in order to balance my LW carbine, I pull the stock out further. When I handled the PWS & LWRC, I was able to fully collapse the stock and tuck my elbow when shouldering and not be strained to hold steady on target. That was refreshing. If I had to put weight numbers on it, I'd like to get a rifle as close to 5lbs as possible or as under 6lbs as possible. I'd like to give myself a chance at taking some carbine training classes too.

Anyway, just talking out some questions I have and my observations to this point. Thanks
    Gun Zone Deals

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've got 3 piston ARs that I suppress. 2 are SBRs and I probably wouldn't use pistons if it wasn't for the suppressors. Pistons in really only add a small amount of additional weight, depending on who's piston. Probably 6 OZs or so, of course it will add up like everything else.

I really like 10.5" rifles personally and have never had a problem dropping big hogs with 75gr Hornady HPBTs or 77gr SMKs. It also has killed a lot of paper and steel out to as far as 500 yards on many occasions with 55gr FMJs. To me, the 10.5" rifles balance really well and still run perfect if you build them right.

I've been thinking of a lightweight 10.5-12" build for my wife a lot lately. Let me know if you feel like building one instead of buying one and I'll gladly give you a hand at assembling it.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Cody, I'm glad you mentioned the suppressors. I don't have any intention of running suppressed as my goal is to take advantage of short length, weight and barrel overhang. So I guess that eliminates one of the advantages of a piston system over DI.

On your 10.5" what twist rate is the barrel? And am impressed you've run it through hogs too. It's what I was hoping it would do.

I appreciate the offer to work on a build. But I won't be able to take advantage as we're out of state for now. But thank you. Have you begun working on a parts list for your wife's build?

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    My 10.5 is a 1 in 8". That's been my go-to rate for a few years now. They've always seemed to handle everything I've shot in them really well. 1 in 7" should handle heavy and all the way down to 55gr bullets as well, if that's all that's available.

No build list for my wife yet, but probably going to stick with a Black Hole Weaponry barrel. The few rifles I've built with those, including one of my 10.5s, have had really impressive accuracy.

Top Bottom