• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Goin OCD with my hand loads to see just how much difference it makes.

I just switched up my bullets so it will take a little bit before I find out just how small the groups will get with them, but I plan to do some preliminary testing Sunday morning if all goes well.

I've got brass and bullets sorted and prepped. Will post more details later on that.

Will be shooting rounds as close to identical as possible and comparing to groups fired from both the extreme light and extreme heavy components. Then will compare group sizes as well as offset from center.

Will post more details on sorted bras as well as any known variations in the loaded rounds later. If all goes well and I don't work all weekend I should be able to post results Sunday afternoon.
    Texas SOT

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol, yup. Unless it groups like crap and hates the load. If I have time I will do some load testing Saturday morning but being on call makes it a crap shoot.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This will be an ongoing test. I don't intend to shoot once with new loads and call it irrefutable evidence. I plan to build on it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Or maybe I'll spend the weekend on load development so I'll have an excuse to shoot more next week.

Depends on my mood when I start measuring powder I guess.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would work up a load then start toying with other factors like seating depth and such. After it is fine tuned then compare sorted brass/ bullets versus random mixes.

Kinda hard to compare variables without having a fixed constant to set the standard.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I would work up a load then start toying with other factors like seating depth and such. After it is fine tuned then compare sorted brass/ bullets versus random mixes.

Kinda hard to compare variables without having a fixed constant to set the standard.

Meh, as long as I don't change the load after I start testing against variables results would be relatively equal.

But it's looking like the storms have kinda killed my chances of being able to set up for a full test anyways. Gonna have to put things on hold for a little but I think.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Meh, as long as I don't change the load after I start testing against variables results would be relatively equal.

But it's looking like the storms have kinda killed my chances of being able to set up for a full test anyways. Gonna have to put things on hold for a little but I think.

I am just thinking that everyone is going for that one hole group. If you just pick a load at random and it shoots 1.5", you won't get it down to a half inch by sorting componants.

I just know that you are trying heavier bullets now for the first time. You have to start all over with load developement.

Or are you doing these tests with your regular bullets and load? If so then I understand better the situation.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Another thing I want to bring up. Everything I have read tells me that weighing componants and massive brass prep won't show much at 100 yards. This is benchrest/ long range stuff you are dealing with. It takes a very good shooter or a lead sled to notice much difference, and you may not see the difference at 100 yards anyways.

Your 300 yard range would be optimum testing grounds for this exercise. Also bring your A game behind the rifle.

For me this testing would be a waste of ammo. I am not at the level of ability to see the results differ much.

PS I have a Leadsled DFT and you are more than welcome to it if you want.

I am curious to see your results.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol, I hear ya dawico, and I'll get around to fine tuning my loads. But I enjoy sending rounds down range so it won't be a total waste if I don't get them fine tuned right away.

I was planning to shoot at 200 yards.

At any rate, it's all data to add to the books. I enjoy it and a lot of times don't follow the standard (smart) process. I enjoy playing with them and my reloading room is a sanctuary so spending an hour sorting bullets for a semi random load is still ok with me.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Lol, I hear ya dawico, and I'll get around to fine tuning my loads. But I enjoy sending rounds down range so it won't be a total waste if I don't get them fine tuned right away.

I was planning to shoot at 200 yards.

At any rate, it's all data to add to the books. I enjoy it and a lot of times don't follow the standard (smart) process. I enjoy playing with them and my reloading room is a sanctuary so spending an hour sorting bullets for a semi random load is still ok with me.

Understandable. Trigger time is always good time spent.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was hoping to get a lot done but since i probably wont have time I will probably just load about 10 rounds for a ladder test and see what happens if I can still manage to get out and shoot Sunday.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You should be able to narrow down your load tests fairly easily. Popular rifle, powder, and bullet. Most of the work is already done and out there.

My understanding of the ladder test is to narrow down loads for uncommon rounds with many variables.

But I know you want to try the test.............

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I haven't used the ladder test method before. Usually just loaded 5 rounds batches with different powder charges to narrow down the best grouping, then went to COAL.

I can see the advantage of finding the sweet spot where powder charge discrepancies have the least impact, but still wonder if that will equate to the most accurate load for the rifle/bullet combination.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I haven't used the ladder test method before. Usually just loaded 5 rounds batches with different powder charges to narrow down the best grouping, then went to COAL.

I can see the advantage of finding the sweet spot where powder charge discrepancies have the least impact, but still wonder if that will equate to the most accurate load for the rifle/bullet combination.

That is what it is supposed to do. Narrow down the sweet spot for further developement.

I found a new powder for my rifle yesterday so I have to start over also. Out of the other powder and can't find it anywhere. I am going to cheat though because the rifle and cartridge are popular enough to get me close without the ladder test and multiple range trips.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Goin OCD with my hand loads to see just how much difference it makes.
    How far are you going OCD? There are the flat forends and the $1K rests.

4886_zpsd42f5bb8.jpg

There are the myriad run-out gauges and, of course, the Wilson seaters because there's no way you'll trust a mere press to seat your bullets when the only right way to do it is by hand, so you can personally feel every micrometer of progress of the bullet into the case.

400_BS_zps806ac448.jpg

There are the custom bullets that you'll use until you decide you can swage better ones, yourself.

Somewhere along the way you put your rifle into a real, long-range benchrest stock.

hammerhead_front_zps69c46165.jpg

After that you'll discover barrel tuners and you'll drive yourself nuts with their infinite adjustability.

Tuner2.jpg

If you really go off the deep end, you start booking time in testing tunnels, measuring groups to 3 decimal places, and not being satisfied until you consistently shoot 100-yard tunnel groups with c-t-c measurements "in the zeroes" (0.099" or less).

Eventually, you'll start looking at ways to just brute-force all the variable out of your shooting, so you'll find yourself looking at rifles like this

carnell2x1000_zpsb60b0222.jpg

while the voice in your head says "All I have to do is move a few financial obligations around..." and you actually begin to believe your thought processes are still rational.

I've known people who were obsessed. It can get ugly.

So just how OCD do you want to go in the pursuit of small groups?

Ben

PS - The above is just for fun. I think you're trying to find best results with a particular rifle, right?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That is what it is supposed to do. Narrow down the sweet spot for further developement.

I found a new powder for my rifle yesterday so I have to start over also. Out of the other powder and can't find it anywhere. I am going to cheat though because the rifle and cartridge are popular enough to get me close without the ladder test and multiple range trips.

I usually start about midway to max to save some time. Never had great luck in the lower end. Think I will bump these about .005 closer to the lands also vs the 168s I was shooting. Both my savages seem to prefer a short jump.

Top Bottom