• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Happy New Year! May our political fortunes change in November 2014.

Conservatives (not Rhinos) take control of the Senate.

Cruz for President in 2016.

Put a stake in the heart of Obamacare.

Take ethanol out of gasoline.

Bring back real diesel fuel.

Build more nuclear power plants.

Drill for gas and oil off-shore and on federal lands.

Abolish the EPA, Department of Education, Department of Housing and Urban Development, Department of Homeland Security, and the Federal Reserve Bank System.

Bring back the gold standard.

Issue Silver Certificates.

Issue Crude Oil Certificates.

Enforce immigration law.

Repeal the ban on incandescent light bulbs.

Abolish the IRS and implement a flat tax. If 10% is good enough for the good Lord above, it ought to be good enough for our governments.

Don't let your congressman appropriate more of your money for stupid schnitt than he takes in Federal pay.

Pray for peace and kill all who stand in our way to obtain it.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'll agree with you on everything but the build more nuclear plants. Only time I'd be amenible to seeing more of those built is if we harden our freaking grid against solar flares and EMPs, otherwise they are accidents waiting to happen. Also close or update all the older plants that should have been retired a decade ago.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I'll agree with you on everything but the build more nuclear plants. Only time I'd be amenible to seeing more of those built is if we harden our freaking grid against solar flares and EMPs, otherwise they are accidents waiting to happen. Also close or update all the older plants that should have been retired a decade ago.

Nuclear power plants have so much shielding that EMP and solar flares would not affect them. The vulnerability is in the grid. Closing older carbon-fired plants is a leftist strategy. They want us to think green energy can replace fossil fuels and nuclear energy. That is a utopian pipe dream.

We need more nuclear power plants and must harden our power distribution grid.

Exploitation of fossil fuels will provide the means to achieve energy independence ... it provides capital to build nuclear energy plants and money to shield the grid.

My little off-grid power solar power generation plant lets me run a flat screen television, recharge my mobile devices, and run a small window air conditioner. It don't work for schnitt on cloudy or rainy days, much less during an EMP event.

On the other hand, the nuclear power plant of just one Aircraft Carrier can supply electricity to 50,000 average homes. That power plant is very compact. Hundreds of those power plants could be built at any number of reservoirs for cooling. The benefits would be staggering. All of our coal could be sold to India and China (and we would set the price), we could redirect all natural gas and oil from power generation to vehicle propulsion (which would drop the cost of a gallon of gasoline to below one dollar).

And, we could declare energy independence from Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Venezuela, and Nigeria.

Plus, fishermen would find a steady supply of bass, crappy, and catfish in reactor warmed waters.

Nuclear energy is a win for all of us.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I understand the plants themselves are shielded. What I've heard (granted haven't looked into this too much) is that they are reliant on the outside grid for the spent fuel storage pool cooling (at least once the generators run out of fuel). AFAIK they don't have anyway currently installed in plants of directing the energy coming from the reactors themselves to the spent fuel rod pools. I hope I'm wrong on this but that's what I've gathered to be the case.

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Spent fuel rods get cooled in water, then are transferred to long term storage. One spent rod amounts to less than one coffee cup of radioactive material. Most of it is alpha particles, which will bounce off your skin. (The other stuff is really nasty).

Nuclear plants get a bad rap because of Fukushima, where the Japanese built a nuclear plant on seismically unstable ground vulnerable to ocean tidal waves. Plus, the Japanese cooled their spent rods in the same water that cooled the reactors. That is like dumping gasoline on dying embers.

France, on the other hand, produces most of its electricity from nuclear power.

When have we heard of a Frog Melt Down since they used nuclear energy?

Top Bottom