Hurley's Gold

Hard cast lead bullets in semi-auto pistols?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I had the misfortune last summer to see first hand what lead bullets in a 40SW Glock can do. I was at the Garland Public Shooting Range one day. A fairly regular shooter came in to shoot. After a short time his Glock blew up (the kaboom effect). It blew the barrel about 7 yards out in front of the shooting stations. The polymer frame exploded as well as the magazine. This inflicted injury to the guy's right hand and to the right side of his face. 911 was called and the guy was taken to the hospital. The range safety officers later told me that the shooter had previously bragged about loading hot lead loads for his Glock 23. The manufactures warn people for a reason. I have been told that aftermarket Glock barrels have the feed ramp modified to offer full support for the shell case on a 40. Due to the high pressures of most 40 loads, I would not recommend relaoding a 40 case more than 2 or 3 times at the very most. I just buy mine at the store, I am sure the hospital charges will far outweigh and benefits of relaoding the 40 for me..

I think your confusing idiot reloader with a problem with an actual problem with the gun or cartridge.

I can make any gun explode by filling the case full of bullseye and not seating it properly.
    Texas SOT

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info - that's kinda what I was thinking. I wanted to use these bullets simply for loading up cheap plinking ammo, sounds like it will work as long as the gun will feed it.

Baboon - is that a Great Dane in your avatar? I have a rescue dane from Paws of Austin as well as a rescue dobie from Brazos Valley Doberman Rescue - both are great dogs!

Way to go Sharky rescue is the greatest we too got both of our danes from Prima at Paws Of austin
    4185742015_8b2c8cc102.png

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    DSCF0411.jpg

yes the glock 45 acp will blow up as well ! a picture is worth a thousand claims this one blew with winchester white box factory ammo , I will never own another glock or shoot one again ,this is the 7th one of these I have seen do this 3 of them 45's 1 357 sig, and 3 40's all with factory ammo !

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyway back to the thread , I loaded and shot 30k plus of lead through my 1911 and yes it will cause a bit of lead fouling ( build up ) but so does jacketed bullets and lead comes out a lot easier ! plus lead is a natural lubricant and don't wear your barrels out as fast,( yes they are slower too ) if you are worried about lead fouling just run a few copper jacketed bullets down the pipe before you put your gun back in the case that will push a lot of the lead out.

also when cleaning your pistol after shooting lead do your self a favor and wear a dust particle mask and safety glasses ,every little bit helps keep lead out of your body.

I cast my own bullets and have found that it is very very inexpensive to do once you spend the initial $200 forthe whole set up ( one caliber ) molds are cheap to very expensive , I have been using lee molds and lyman molds both with great success.
    scrap lead can still be purchased ant recycling yards for next to nothing and it usually is nice and clean stuff. I bought several hundred pounds last year and still have a mountain of it left after 10's of thousands of bullets!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That's been an issue w/the Glocks for as long as I can remember - the guy shootin' hot loads in it got what he asked for - a "real-time" warning when his loads were too hot. Thing is, for all we know he double-charged a case, or some other dumb stunt - Darwin pretty well made his point, ah'd say....

On The Border

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been using Missouri Bullets for a couple of years now in .45acp and .38/.357. RNFP and SWC. On the mid range loads I use, I've never had a problem.

If you do load them hot and get leading, just run a mag or cylinder full of jacketed rounds through it and that'll take a lot of the lead out. (and it's a bit more fun than scrubbing the barrel)

Top Bottom