Patriot Mobile

Hard cast lead bullets in semi-auto pistols?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Is there anything wrong with this? I have gotten into reloading and have successfully reloaded several batches of .40SW that have cycled flawlessly though my HK USP - but I have been using JHPs. Is there anything detrimental to using the hard cast lead bullets for target use?
    DK Firearms

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think there are only two real issues with lead bullets. Limits on velocity, (not likely to exceed that in a .40 S&W), and lead fouling. I don't think you will really have any problems, as long as the feeding of the bullet doesn't dent it up to much, it should be alright.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Cast bullets that are lubed can add to a bit of smoke. For the price they are hard to beat. I started reloading Laser Cast & found Missouri Bullets for alot cheaper. I have yet to load up the Missouri's, with the heat on now it could be a while.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Thanks for the info - that's kinda what I was thinking. I wanted to use these bullets simply for loading up cheap plinking ammo, sounds like it will work as long as the gun will feed it.

Baboon - is that a Great Dane in your avatar? I have a rescue dane from Paws of Austin as well as a rescue dobie from Brazos Valley Doberman Rescue - both are great dogs!

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Quote: "Hard cast lead bullets in semi-auto pistols?"

I've been shooting hard cast lead bullets for 45 years (since 1963) in both revolvers (Ruger, S&W in .357, .44 Mag) and 1911 pistols (Colt, Kimber, Wilson in .38 Spl, .45 ACP) without problems. All the civilian Bullseye shooters that I knew used such loads. With proper loads, leading is typically not a problem up to 1000-1200 fps. Have loaded cast lead bullets to 1425 fps (thru Oehler chrono) in S&W revolvers without significant leading. Most of my pistols rarely, if ever, fire jacketed bullets.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Glock and HK utilize polygonal bores in their barrels and do not suggest lead-cast bullets due to heavy fouling. I suppose you could still use them, you'd just have to be tidy with the clean-up. Another option is to get a traditional bore barrel from Jarvis or some of the other options and utilize that in the polygonal guns.

ForneyRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Forney, TX
    I cast my 200gr RN bullets for my 1911 from wheel weights.

For making your own, you can adjust the alloy, use lube, and water quenching to keep the barrel from leading.

If you want to buy, just call up the manufacturers and ask them about the H&K. Similar things have been said about Glock, but several folks should lead out of them as well.

Lead bullets are shot in rifles exceeding 2400fps so there isn't a velocity limitation with lead. Yep, these bullets have gas checks and very hard lube.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Cast bullets that are lubed can add to a bit of smoke. For the price they are hard to beat. I started reloading Laser Cast & found Missouri Bullets for alot cheaper. I have yet to load up the Missouri's, with the heat on now it could be a while.

Baboon I am looking into the Mizz bullets right now, have you had a chance to shoot any? I am trying to find some reviews about them. I would be shooting the 9mm 125's most likely.

Between my buddy and I just over the summer we have shot probably 1200 or so lead cast out of our 9's. He uses the 147grn bullets and I have been using 115. I have not checked his guns but so far i have no bullet fouling and very few problems. He has not had any issues and he shoots the 147's in his 9mm walther p99 and a 10.5 inch ar pistol he built up.

We actually worked up some hot 115 loads and that 10" barrel just launches smokes those light rounds.You can hear them zipping they are moving so fast. He shoots steel at 200 yards with them pretty accurately.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I'm usin' Missouri bullets - have run 'bout 3-4k of 'em down 40's, 45's an' 357's with no issues to date. I run 'em on the lower side of their suggested max load for the round, and have been quite pleased with the results.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I won't shoot reloads in a Glock due to the undercut of the chamber. Someone told me they'd corrected that, but I haven't seen it for myself, and wouldn't risk it. Then again......I don't own any Glocks....<G>

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    That was the old 40's. the 9's and the 45's never had an unsupported chamber.

either way, the round looks just as supported as my other handgun' chambers.

I've heard things as to the rifling tended to lead up or something.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    If they lead up, it's an issue of an overly-hot load, IMO - or too soft a cast projectile. Most folks wanna run "hot" loads so they can "macho up" at the range. Me, ah just wanna cut consistent holes in the paper....

TxSgt1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I load lead in .38, .357 Mag, 9mm, .40, .45, and 30 WCF. I couldn't tell you the last time I loaded a jacketed round. The fun is in working up a load that's most accurate in your particular firearm. That, and I love the smell of Bullseye and bullet lube in the morning...

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    If they lead up, it's an issue of an overly-hot load, IMO - or too soft a cast projectile. Most folks wanna run "hot" loads so they can "macho up" at the range. Me, ah just wanna cut consistent holes in the paper....

If I wanted to be "macho", I wouldn't shoot a pistol. I shoot one of those revolvers in anything above a 44 mag. Course a DE would also fall into that catagory. : )

I'm like you, I want to put consistand holes in paper, and not spend more than I have to do it.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    All I wanna do is find some .52 cal rimfire loads for my Sharps Navy rifle (circa 1866). She's in good mechanical shape - would LOVE to get hold of some loads for next time ah'm at the range....<evil grin>

T's C6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    DFW
    I use bullet works lead cast for 45 acp and 45 LC, they make an excellent target load and are $70.00 a thousand

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Ever used PMC moderator's? I don't think they sell them anymore but i got a few thousand a few years back. Subsonic 22 loads that I found to be super quiet. Anyway it smells like a cupcake or something.

anyone ever shot 90 grn'ers outa their 9mm?

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I had the misfortune last summer to see first hand what lead bullets in a 40SW Glock can do. I was at the Garland Public Shooting Range one day. A fairly regular shooter came in to shoot. After a short time his Glock blew up (the kaboom effect). It blew the barrel about 7 yards out in front of the shooting stations. The polymer frame exploded as well as the magazine. This inflicted injury to the guy's right hand and to the right side of his face. 911 was called and the guy was taken to the hospital. The range safety officers later told me that the shooter had previously bragged about loading hot lead loads for his Glock 23. The manufactures warn people for a reason. I have been told that aftermarket Glock barrels have the feed ramp modified to offer full support for the shell case on a 40. Due to the high pressures of most 40 loads, I would not recommend relaoding a 40 case more than 2 or 3 times at the very most. I just buy mine at the store, I am sure the hospital charges will far outweigh and benefits of relaoding the 40 for me..

Top Bottom