Capitol Armory ad

Hard Chrome vs NicBor - a visual comparison.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    My Ruger SR-556 has a hard chrome BCG and my recent MEGA build has a NicBor BCG. I'm not looking to get into the debate of phosphate vs HC vs NicBor or anything, this is just to visually show the differences.

The word is Young MFG makes the group for Ruger and the other is a Rainier Arms Match Grade group. Young MFG carriers are impossible to find right now or the MEGA would have one because IMO, they're the best groups out there. I had the last one Rainier had in stock but it was out of spec so they sent me their best BCG they had on hand.

Here's the gallery.
    Hard Chrome vs NicBor - Imgur
    Military Camp

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    What do they go for cost-wise? I really like the way they look. I'm thinking about maybe upgrading my BCG now....I want to see what the differences are performance wise.

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    Most likely, as far as just swapping BCG, you likely won't see much performance gains. Likely no more accuracy, perhaps a little bit cooler running BCG with NicBor, smoother cycling action and easier cleaning. The NicBor withstands carbon build up better than phosphate and HC from what I understand.

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    Just a humble request from the peanut gallery.
    Could you show each bolt carrier after a set number of rounds so that we could see the difference in carbon build up?
    (Never mind - one is piston, the other is DI. Not much of a comparison).
    NicBor gets cool points, I really like the color, but does it run cleaner? Or is it just easier to clean?

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    We QPQ a lot of things here at NOV. It's a surface treatment and from what I've seen with QPQ coatings in the lab is they are quite durable and tough. Every thing we run is in an HD603 solution so I couldn't tell you anything about the lubricating properties.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Nicbor is the sexier of the two, imho.

My HK USP45 is going to greyguns next month for a full carry package, plus sights and nicbor treatment for the slide. I can't wait.

Top Bottom