Harley mechanic

CodyK

Sep 5, 2019
Houston
I have a 2003 FXDWG. Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good mechanic in the Houston area. The bike sat in my garage for about 6 or 7 years while I was in South Texas working in the oilfield. Took it to the local Harley dealership last year for new tires, battery, belts, fluid change, basically to get me back on the road or ready to sell, I hadn’t decided what to do at the time. They had it for 3 months. I rode it home, and had to have it towed back to them, they didn’t rebuild the carb correctly! They had it for 2 more months, and I rode it for a few weeks, and it never felt like it was running right. By then I was out over 3K, and I was broke and pissed. Put it up for sale as is with the explanation of what happened. Only got a couple low ball offers, so I took it down and decided I’m keeping it. Hopefully I can find someone locally who can get me back on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andre3k

TGT Supporter
Aug 8, 2008
Houston
A lot of Harley dealer mechanics know absolutely nothing about older bikes and dealing with carbs. The avg dealer mechanic is probably a 20 something that has only dealt with fuel injection and diagnosing ecm codes and not changing jets and adjusting carbs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
Jan 20, 2021
Cypress, TX
Tim Ellis is 55+, raced drag bikes for a long time and I saw a Harley in more pieces than you could count in his shop but he got it back together and the guy rode out. He is the real deal. Certified in everything. His toolbox is big enough to live in.

CodyK

Sep 5, 2019
Houston
I’m off tomorrow, gonna give Ellis Performance a call and see about getting it in there. Thanks.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
Jan 20, 2021
Cypress, TX
I’m off tomorrow, gonna give Ellis Performance a call and see about getting it in there. Thanks.

I think it will work out well. Tell him the guy with the AC condenser rock screen sent you.

andre3k

TGT Supporter
Aug 8, 2008
Houston
Tim Ellis is 55+, raced drag bikes for a long time and I saw a Harley in more pieces than you could count in his shop but he got it back together and the guy rode out. He is the real deal. Certified in everything. His toolbox is big enough to live in.
Yeah the independent shops are usually the better option.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Axxe55

MIA-BOLO.
Dec 15, 2019
Nowhere.....Just here in East Texas.
Jim's Cycle Shop, in Axtell Texas, on HWY 31 outside of Waco. Has been there for many, many years. People drive from all over Texas to get their Harley's worked on there. I have used them many times in the past. Excellent work done and the prices are very reasonable IMO.

texasnurse

Well-Known
Jul 30, 2016
Put a Lectron carburetor on it, save yourself the headaches

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs