• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FlyinFast

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Richardson
    FOXNews.com - Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to pass a law specifically allowing teachers and staff to pack heat when classes begin later this month.
    Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.
    Superintendent David Thweatt told FOXNews.com the policy was initiated because of safety concerns.
    "We have had employees assaulted before by people in the last several years," Thweatt said. "I think that safety is big concern. We are seeing a lot of anger in society."
    He wouldn't comment further on the nature of the assaults.
    The Texas superintendent linked gun-free zones with the uprising of school shootings in recent years.
    "When you make schools gun-free zones, it's like inviting people to come in and take advantage," Thweatt told FOXNews.com.
    In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and must use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

Thweatt said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection. He said the district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target.
    The kindergarten through 12th grade school district is home to 110 students.
    Thweatt said officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change. He said the district also has various other security measures in place to prevent a school shooting.
    "The naysayers think [a shooting] won't happen here," Thweatt said. "If something were to happen here, I'd much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them."
    He told FOXNews.com he doesn't think students will think twice about the new policy.
    "I hope they forget all about it," he said. "We want them to pay attention [to their school work]."
    Texas law outlaws firearms on school campuses "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."
    While the district's plan shot them into the national spotlight, carrying guns to school is nothing new some states. In Utah, the law allows anyone with a permit to carry a gun in public schools and state institutions of higher education.
    It was unclear how many of the 50 or so teachers and staff members will be armed this fall because Thweatt did not disclose that information, to keep it from students or potential attackers.
    Wilbarger County Sheriff Larry Lee did not immediately return a call placed to his office by FOXNews.com.
    Barbara Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of School Boards, said her organization did not know of another district with such a policy. Ken Trump, a Cleveland-based school security expert who advises districts nationwide, including in Texas, said Harrold is the first district with such a policy.
    The district is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border.
    FOXNews.com's Michelle Maskaly and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

I God LOVE My State
    Texas SOT

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Someone in that district finally has their head screwed on the right way. It's time more districts were pro-active, not reactive after an unfortunate event. The only thing that happens then is the brady bunch dances on the victims misfortune. I wonder how many crimes the "security cameras" have actually stopped?????? A pistol on my side makes me feel secure, not some camera on the side of a building, that may not be working anyway.

JoeinTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    By the rules and guidelines they've established...........absolutely.

The schools these days have become absolute zoos. The inmates are running the roost thanks to political correctness, lawyers, and parents (yes, you and us) who let their "darlings" run wild with no accountability.

I finished public school in a small Texas town 15 years ago and the biggest things we saw was the occasional pocket-knife brought to school or a scuffle at lunch break. My, how things are changing.......:eek:

knsgordon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    Fredericksburg
    I also went to a small Texas school at about the same time. During hunting or varmint season it was not uncommon for 90% of the vehicles in the parking lot to have at least one rifle and a pistol. My parents also went to the same school many years earlier, and the same thing happened then. We never had a school shooting, stabbing, or any of this other BS that is going on these days. I am happy to see that someone had some sense. I pray, and yes I said, "pray", that our local school district will start allowing our teachers to carry. Of course, back in those days praying in school was not a bad thing!

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I grew up in California... the only people packin their are the students. Hell when I was in Jr. High (1993-94) a freind of mine was expelled for carrying a handgun in his backpack... then again the faculty didn't know he was being threatened by the local gang because he was dumb enough to spray paint his tag sign over their stuff.

My old high school had a drive by shooting at the school a year after I left it... actually more of a "Drive on campus while radomnly pop off rounds while joy ridding" kind of thing.

P.s. I grew up in a nice neighborhood... Goleta, Just north of Santa Barbara.

DopaVash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    I grew up in California... the only people packin their are the students. Hell when I was in Jr. High (1993-94) a freind of mine was expelled for carrying a handgun in his backpack... then again the faculty didn't know he was being threatened by the local gang because he was dumb enough to spray paint his tag sign over their stuff.

Should that matter? I don't believe children should carry firearms to school. Grown adults at college is a completely different matter, as is Teachers of any class.

Top Bottom