ARJ Defense ad

Has anyone ever painted the ghost ring on the rear sight?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Maybe it's just lack of practice or my eyes, but I always have trouble getting a good sight picture with a ghost ring. Co-witnessing through a red-dot sight probably doesn't help in that there are more things in my field of view. If I squint and concentrate then I can get it, but that's not how you should have to do it. I'm tempted to take some bright neon-colored paint and outline the ring, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. Has anyone tried it?

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    The rear sight should fade or fuzz out. If it does not I bet you have an astigmatism. Like me you have to learn to ignore it and deal with the peep. I see a tear drop shape so I have to try to factor for the center. You can try glasses. What does the front sight look like? Is it razor sharp or kind of fuzzy?

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    The rear sight should fade or fuzz out. If it does not I bet you have an astigmatism. Like me you have to learn to ignore it and deal with the peep. I see a tear drop shape so I have to try to factor for the center. You can try glasses. What does the front sight look like? Is it razor sharp or kind of fuzzy?
    Yep - I have astigmatism, wear glasses, and I'm far-sighted. Yes, the ghost ring disappears as Mate said it should - the problem is that everything there is pretty much a blur. The front sight looks fine, and I can see the target fine. What I was thinking was that painting or somehow marking the ring would add contrast and make it easier to see since everything there is black.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    the ghost ring should go near invisible, your eyes focused on the top edge front sight only. You're brain centers the front post automagically.

You don't want the back ring amplified in the vision or you'll confuse the magical part of it.

Don't take my word for it:
    FIRING TECHNIQUES—RIFLE

This. Front sight post is everything. You shouldn't even be worrying about the rear sight.

If you're having trouble centering the post consistently, you need to work on finding a consistent cheek weld. Don't worry at all about the rear sight (or the front sight) if you're shooting through a red dot. Try looking over the sights. If your optic isn't tall enough to allow it, consider a riser so that the iron sights line up through the bottom 1/3 of the glass (called a 1/3 cowitness).

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    This. Front sight post is everything. You shouldn't even be worrying about the rear sight.

If you're having trouble centering the post consistently, you need to work on finding a consistent cheek weld. Don't worry at all about the rear sight (or the front sight) if you're shooting through a red dot. Try looking over the sights. If your optic isn't tall enough to allow it, consider a riser so that the iron sights line up through the bottom 1/3 of the glass (called a 1/3 cowitness).

The red dot and the sights are in a workable arrangement, I think - it's not quite bottom 1/3, but right about where the dividing line would be. I found myself having to focus on the ring first to make sure I was actually looking through it, not around or over it, then focus on the post. Whatever magic is supposed to center the ring just doesn't seem to work for me. Call me Mr. Magoo I guess....

Then again, all this is the reason I got the red dot to begin with (Primary Arms M4), but I'd still like to be able to use the iron sights if needed (Murphy's Law and all that - I'll never completely trust anything that needs batteries).

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm going to go with "cheek weld issues". I just picked up my M4 and anywhere you look, you should snap the rifle up to put the front sight on target and have a good sight picture.

I'll be in Houston for the gun show this weekend. If you've got time to meet up, I wouldn't mind taking a look at exactly what you're doing when you shoulder the rifle.

Top Bottom