• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    There are folk that are naturally good shooters, just like welders, carpenters, surgeons, etc... Also, new shooters or those that shoot less frequently, haven't developed bad habits. You may think that you have the perfect grip, trigger pull, stance, but I reality, there is something that you are doing to throw your shots off. When I was younger, I could shoot very accurate, but the more I got use to it, the more I started to slack off on certain things. Then many years later when shooting with a instructor, he pointed out several things that needed corrected. After re-learning shooting fundamentals and really focusing on my technique, I got back to shooting the way I started out.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    There are folk that are naturally good shooters, just like welders, carpenters, surgeons, etc... Also, new shooters or those that shoot less frequently, haven't developed bad habits. You may think that you have the perfect grip, trigger pull, stance, but I reality, there is something that you are doing to throw your shots off. When I was younger, I could shoot very accurate, but the more I got use to it, the more I started to slack off on certain things. Then many years later when shooting with a instructor, he pointed out several things that needed corrected. After re-learning shooting fundamentals and really focusing on my technique, I got back to shooting the way I started out.
    Agreed, I wish I was as steady, and my eyes were as good as I was before 40. Getting old sucks!

But hey, I probably should count my blessings for living this long.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Agreed, I wish I was as steady, and my eyes were as good as I was before 40. Getting old sucks!

But hey, I probably should count my blessings for living this long.

Right, the older one gets, the more pronounced some of these bad habits get. I'm 50 now or will be in Sept and I have already got the shakes. So now, good, proper shooting fundamentals are paramount.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm reminded of the old man who won the first Olympic gold medal for the Chinese. That made him a national hero. The medal was for Men's 50M pistol.

The crazy thing is that he'd only been shooting a few months and had never held a pistol before he was recruited to train for the team. The scouts found him because he was famous all over his province for his skill with a slingshot.

Sounds like your friend should try out a couple of formal competitive pistol sports and see if he likes any of them. We, collectively, could always use a few more Olympic medals.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Alright. I know I'm not the greatest shooter, but I shoot a lot and have pretty decent fundamentals. I can put a saucer sized group at 15 yards pretty much at will with a pistol.

I go out with a friend and his new girlfriend shooting yesterday, he's a former marine, but says he hasn't fired a pistol ever except for basic until 3 weeks ago.

Every single time he goes up to fire he makes a quarter sized group with 17 rounds. I move the target out to 10 yards, same thing, I move it out to 15 same thing. My gun, his gun, her Glock 42. He gives me a dumb look and says "it's just luck" I say "name, you're the best pistol shooter I've ever seen if you've only been doing this 3 weeks."

I did the dickens drill. I put the target at 25 yards. Got the timer ready, had him put the gun on the table loaded and chambered and said go. 14 shots. One jam which he cleared like he had always known how and he hit 13 shots in the 9 ring.. in 15 seconds.

What I'm trying to get is, has anyone ever seen anything like it? someone just pick up a pistol, any pistol, and shoot like a trained competitive professional?

My Wife, not a gun person, does that with very little training. My kids & I can't, even with practice.

Her Son, a two-times US Marine MP and Professional LEO, who practices regularly, has always been a great shot. He killed his first dove on a windy West-Texas field at measured 70 paces, with a .410 when in Elementary school. I couldn't believe it after seeing it. I kept hollering "Too far, don't shoot."

leVieux

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Fine muscle control... some people have it, most people don't...

Ever seen someone with a really smooth beautiful signature that they can repeat exactly every time?

Well that ain't mine... mine's chicken scratch, just like my targets.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ever seen someone with a really smooth beautiful signature that they can repeat exactly every time?
    Yes. My sister. It's basically illegible but it's very detailed and it hasn't varied by a millimeter over the last 50+ years.

That doesn't translate into super shooting skill, though. She was good but not like the OP shooter.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Did he look like this guy?

1659921844756.png

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    The wife of a friend that died took some lessons from an elderly ex-Seal. He even instructed her to "cup" the grip with her off had. I was amazed at some of the groups she shot during her 1st lesson. He advised her to buy a Sig and was disappointed when she picked a PPK.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Alright. I know I'm not the greatest shooter, but I shoot a lot and have pretty decent fundamentals. I can put a saucer sized group at 15 yards pretty much at will with a pistol.

I go out with a friend and his new girlfriend shooting yesterday, he's a former marine, but says he hasn't fired a pistol ever except for basic until 3 weeks ago.

Every single time he goes up to fire he makes a quarter sized group with 17 rounds. I move the target out to 10 yards, same thing, I move it out to 15 same thing. My gun, his gun, her Glock 42. He gives me a dumb look and says "it's just luck" I say "name, you're the best pistol shooter I've ever seen if you've only been doing this 3 weeks."

I did the dickens drill. I put the target at 25 yards. Got the timer ready, had him put the gun on the table loaded and chambered and said go. 14 shots. One jam which he cleared like he had always known how and he hit 13 shots in the 9 ring.. in 15 seconds.

What I'm trying to get is, has anyone ever seen anything like it? someone just pick up a pistol, any pistol, and shoot like a trained competitive professional?
    My exwife. Me and a friend worked with her a little over the course of 2 weeks at home. First time at the range, she outshot everyone. Including us.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Once a Marine, always a Marine. I've hung around a few of them and even have one in my family. Every time I've ever shot with any of them they all shoot almost that good.

Top Bottom