DFW
    upload_2017-10-6_20-29-1.png

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    The new "safety" gas cans work great ....................... if you have three arms with hands!

We have all heard about the $300 hammer the govt bought. True story, been a LONG time since my Govt Contracting Officer course and it was one of the teaching points, I will pass it on here.

The govt worker had to come up with specification for a hammer. EZ he guessed, had one out in the garage. He had had it for years and IIRC it was given to him by his dad. Handle had been replaced more than once and the hammer was well used. So he weighed it, measured it and took those and used them for specs. Well that hammer had long since gone from production and the handle was just some wood bought at a hardware store that barely fitted.

Well his hammer was not like any hammer at Lowe's or Home Depot or an ACE HW. But it was the specs issued so the result was a hammer was created and yea it cost a lot as a result.

The point is those gas cans are at best Rube Goldberg and only work if you have 4 arms and hands (as was stated by another poster), they spill more than anything I have ever used and I have a bunch of these things around since I have a lot of stuff that uses diesel, gas and gas oil mix. I hate them and you should to. They guy in the govt, who wrote the spec he has never used one of the cans...

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Ran on generator for 15 days post Harvey and cussed the new cans every day. Had 8 cans of various manufacture and age.....the old cans worked great...new cans, not so much......slow...agonizingly slow........

Learned a few years ago to drill a vent hole and remove the valve from a tire stem and pull the stem through the hole sealing it.....using a coat hanger.....then just unscrew the cap when you want to vent it.

But yes, the old jerry cans are the way to go if you can find them at a garage sale....

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Now days, there are gadgets and gizmos attached to gas cans, all in the name of cleaner air and safety. Unless you are fortunate enough to have an old gas can, it can be very frustrating filling up the mower, tiller, generator, or weed trimmer. I think the new contraptions are actually doing more harm than good.

This may be the answer to all the gurgling, splashing, spilling, and slow flow problems caused by the, "environmentally friendly", gas cans that have been forced upon us by the EPA.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...b=942524&l=58_HTML&u=514132&mid=7292911&jb=31

Those do not work for long. Had a few, threads are weak and it breaks. I just use an open mouth on can and a funnel.

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    Ebay has old jerry cans and Amazon sells the old style spouts.
    If you are talking about "Jerry" cans (WWII German style) , the ones that aren't marked as Wavian ("W" on side) or Valpro ("V" on side) are cheap Chinese knock-offs that are thinner metal and lack the interior anti-rust coating.

There are virtually no mil-surp "Jerry" cans left on the market now.

Top Bottom