• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Alright I got 125 on an academy gift Card for Christmas and can't decide what to do...

I'm either thinking start a BOB or get a TLR-1. I "need" both, but can't decide which. Not real sure how much stuff I could get for $125 for a BOB but it's a start. Which would y'all do first?

On a side note anyone ever mess with the TLR knockoffs at gun shows they appear the same and seem just as bright but are $50. I know you get what you pay for but if I can get 2 almost 3 for the price of a surefire branded unit id consider it if the quality is alright.

sent from the bathroom
    Gun Zone Deals

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    TLR1 is a good light. Im not into cheap flashlights and especially not weapon lights.

As far as BOB stuff at Academy, probably can get all basics ever...Kelty pack or 511 bag, chem lights, small flash lights, leatherman, knife, E-tool, axe, water filter, socks, hat, gloves, nalgenes, esbit stove, first aid kit, tarp, lighters, matches, emergency food, candles and on and on...

I had a $30 card to Academy. Golf balls and shotgun shells!

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I had a $25 I got last week and got a red Ryder BB gun...money well spent lol.

I have a couple good backpacks I can use camo pretty good quality with camel back built in got them to take hunting in Ireland (you hike your ass off there bogs are crappy hiking)

So that's the big expense for the most part.

Have:

Ka bar
    Gerber multi tool
    I can make water proof matches
    Have lighters most likely
    Have cotton balls/rubber for fires
    sleeping bag
    Canteen
    Several other items

So I could probably get the other stuff I need for $50-60 and spend the rest on a box or two of ammo.

sent from the bathroom

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I see you have a pretty good start. Its really up to you on what a BOB includes. Also you have to figure how much you can carry if you are talking about traveling on foot.

I put mine together as a mix of: hiking gear, military gear and defensive weapons.

Hiking gear: extra socks (wet feet and you are SOL), extra pair of boots or shoes, small radio, lots of batteries, flashlights, lots of lighters, tarp, first aid kits, nalgene (id probably grab another on the way out or some water bottles from car), chem lights, markers, pens, pencils, compass, short term emergency food (energy bars and the like)

Mil gear: good amount of 550 cord, E-tool, first aid, big bandage, israeli bandages, trachea tube), 2-3 MREs (you can get 2-3 meals out of one if you stretch it out) and when i am hiking i usually just eat twice a day.

Weapons: big knife and I think i have 6 loaded AR mags. 2 pistols mags and a couple boxes of ammo for each. I should throw in some 22LR for hunting if it got to that point.

Depending upon where you are bugging out from and to you may need to carry a lot of water which is heavy and takes up volume.

Some people include photo copies or documents or docs on a flash drive.

Another thing i need to add are some maps.

Id try to grab several other things on the way out but perhaps i should have them in, on or near the bag such as a rain jacket and in this weather a real coat.

Im sure im forgetting some stuff. These threads are always good though. Makes me think and hope some of my gear helps you or others.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'd hang onto it until that special shootin' iron jumped out at me. Don't let it burn a hole in your pocket.

Flash

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I had $100 to Academy. I went in this week thinking just like your are. Looking the whole store over for several items.

Before I left I paired it with many additional Benjamins and bought an over under 12 gauge, LOL.

That sneaky Academy!

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    With a name like AKMike how about buying some 762x39 ammo?

I may or may not have almost a ammo can full I need to buy some more though. Last time I took my AK out I shot 26 20 round boxes so it put a dent in it.

Last edited:

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I had $100 to Academy. I went in this week thinking just like your are. Looking the whole store over for several items.

Before I left I paired it with many additional Benjamins and bought an over under 12 gauge, LOL.

That sneaky Academy!

I thought about buying other stuff but forced myself to stay on the current path lol

streamlight head lamp
    Vinyl poncho(camo)
    Sewing kit(cheap stitches)
    Water purification tablets
    Compass
    Water proof matches
    Paracord
    foil emergency blanket
    Duct tape
    Some other small stuff

Have
    knives
    Multitool
    extra socks
    Gloves
    Canteen
    bottled water(toss 2 in)
    Cheap hipoint pistol I bought for the tackle box may get tossed in my bag for a backup)
    Clothing
    Ammo
    watch cap
    Camelbak bladder
    lighters
    other odds/ends

Need
    A bunch of crap Im making a list as we speak.

I may have to get another small bag for a First aid kit I was an EMT-b so might as well get some Israeli bandages and what not. Could use my range bag., but its pretty decent size and thats just more to carry I may be over thinking it with some of this stuff on my list

Last edited:

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    honestly a lot of stuff I have listed isnt really needed.

Where I am I think ammo, water. some clothing is really all I NEED. Where I'd go Im surrounded by ranches and cows and thats almost the whole drive there wouldn't be a lot of people around

Top Bottom